Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you eat like this?

Long story short, I met with a new nutritionist at my surgical practice today and I was told that what my old nutritionist there taught me was wrong. I am to only eat Protein, veggies, and fruit. If I have dairy it has to be low fat, and I can't have nuts. I am a little mind-boggled at this point. I had previously been told to stay away from carbs as much as possible, but that nuts were a good snack and that when I have a meal I can have 4 oz. of meat, then a cup of veggies, then a 1/2 cup of carbs if I'm still hungry after that.

I'm curious if anyone out there is following this way of eating at all.

ETA: I was already doing what I considered to be an appropriately low-carb "diet" that was under 100g of carbs a day (my net carbs were usually way less than that).

The old nutritionist is what my dr tells me

Long story short, I met with a new nutritionist at my surgical practice today and I was told that what my old nutritionist there taught me was wrong. I am to only eat Protein, veggies, and fruit. If I have dairy it has to be low fat, and I can't have nuts. I am a little mind-boggled at this point. I had previously been told to stay away from carbs as much as possible, but that nuts were a good snack and that when I have a meal I can have 4 oz. of meat, then a cup of veggies, then a 1/2 cup of carbs if I'm still hungry after that.

My doctor told me to eat my Protein first and then veggies and anything else. The only thing he told me about starches was a conversation of mashed potatoes during my mushie stage. He asked me to stay away from it because 'it's too high in starch'. I have become friends with another of his patients and she told him she ate potatoes and he didn't say anything to her. Maybe because I need to lose a hundred pounds more than her? I just figured that was it but I have no idea. I read a book several years ago called Fit for Life. It explains how your stomach and intestines work and since then if I eat meat I don't eat a starch with it (or vice versa).

I can't imagine giving up nuts. I have almonds almost every single day...wowza. I also have a good amount of cheese. Usually those 35 calorie laughing cow wedges or a cheese stick. i can't live without nuts and cheese.

i am really convinced that half of these doctors and nutritionists make crap up. :blink:

no two doctors/nuts tell patients the same thing.

you pretty much have to do the best you can on the info you are given.

it's a conpsiracy I tell ya.;)

Ain't that the truth!

i am really convinced that half of these doctors and nutritionists make crap up. :blink:

laugh.gif Word.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day, someone joins this forum and says "my doctor told me in order for the band to work, I would have to do hand stand push ups 3x a week, alternating from left hand to right hand 30 times, while polishing my toe nails with my teeth. and I can't eat green Beans...does your doctor make you do this? "

I wish these doctors would just all attend a seminar and get on the same page.

Mine just told me the eat Protein first, veggies second and any carbs last if there was room. I asked her about the number of grams of carbs to give me a guideline of what number to shoot for staying under and she said 60. I am good with that. Although I already do low to non fat dairy and cheeses. The babybel lights are great. I agree on some semblance of of saying the same thing for all of us would be really nice.

Question - were you losing weight with the way you were eating before?

YES?

Then why is it so wrong.

If what you are doing works, you are happy with it and you aren't hungry why change. As they say if it isn't broken don't fix it.

As an Aussie I have totally different views to what is/isn't appropriate to eat once banded. I don't diet. I don't do low carb or any other kind of recognised diet. I just eat smaller portions of normal food and try to cut down on the junk inbetween. This is what most of us are told to do by our Drs and it seems to work.This was why I got the band as I was tired of always being on a diet, now I'm not.

I do have to admit though that the diet mentality doesn't really go away as I still catch myself reading diets in magazines and online and wondering if I should do them. But seriously why. If you can eat in a way that satisfies you, keeps you at a healthy weight and is easy to fit into your lifestyle then that is what you should be doing.

OK, thank you all for the laugh and for making me feel less like gouging out my eyes with some slivered almonds rolleyes.gif

you pretty much have to do the best you can on the info you are given.

it's a conpsiracy I tell ya.;)

Funny, but also true! I just wouldnt waste my money on a nutritionist - they're not medically qualified the way that a dietician is - and are prone to giving you advice based on THEIR personal beliefs and current fads and fashion. Ditto your doctor - he's a surgeon, not a dietician and what he tells you will be based on what's given clients good results, and what will get the best results for his clinic - so worth listening to, but definitely not gospel.

I even went to a dietician recently - I was made to by my colorectal surgeon, who was worried that my weight was too low - and what did I get? A photocopied sheet. No personal consideration, no real discussion about what was and wasnt working with my digestive system since my surgeries, just a photocopied sheet of a low residue diet. I didnt even bother to point out I already had that sheet and had done the diet for six weeks following surgery, and that it wasnt proving effective for solving my issues. Why bother?

You dont need a nutritionist to do well with a lapband. We are not idiots, we are perfectly capable of researching various styles of eating/diet and working out what works well for us. There's no magic to it, eat less than you burn and you will lose weight, but for many people, low carb works, and for others its not necessary.

Personal trainers are much the same - get a good one that thinks along the same lines you do and they're a great support. But sifting through all the bad ones is quite a job.

I wonder what your nutritionist would say about me - I eat bread, rice, Pasta, nuts, chocolate, wine. I eat 3 meals a day, not five. A personal trainer would freak that I do heaps of cardio and not a lot of strenght training. I'm open to trying stuff, but I have and a basic diet that is simply reduced in quantity and a lot of running are what work for me and give me the body I want (which is not a muscular one thank you all the same).

that's a good point, Jacqui. Actually I call them nutritionists but both my "old" and "new" nutritionists are RDs and LDN- Registered Dietician and Licensed Dietician/Nutritionist. the practice I go to is owned by the hospital so the team there consists of a mental health counselor, some surgeons, one nutritionist, and a Physician's Assistant. So they require me to talk to the nutritionist at certain points and this time, I have to keep food logs for the next month and bring them in to be checked.

She told me I need to aim for 100g ("or a little more") of Protein daily, too. I'd previously been told 60-80g per day. I guess I'm willing to give anything a shot, but it seems weird when I was losing in the target 2 pound a week zone already. My complaint is that I still don't feel like the band is doing anything for me, and they said well, that could be because I'm eating "so many" carbs that it's causing me to crave food right after I eat. And then I think... I REALLY don't think I'm eating that many carbs. Like I get it, carbs are the enemy, blah blah. But quite frankly I feel hungrier an hour after eating an apple than I do after eating a low-carb wrap, and they want me to push fruit. Push fruit, no nuts.

Ohhh my aching brain laugh.gif And my growling stomach!

ETA: I was already doing what I considered to be an appropriately low-carb "diet" that was under 100g of carbs a day (my net carbs were usually way less than that).

I have those same guidelines. The only way I can have carbs is thru veggies and dairy. I'm allowed half a serving of fruit a day. I'm happy because it has really helped lower my insulin needs.

i been looking for a thread on dieting because i to am a bit confused. I am staying away from bad carbs as much as possible. Also i am not eating any fruit. I eat lots of meat even if they are high in cxalories like bacon. mmmm love bacon. I cant figure this out should i just stay away from processed foods and eat only meat fresh vegs and fruits? Or do i even need to diet? Should i just stay away from bread rice Pasta and potatoes like my dr said and everything else is ok to eat. protien first of course. I dont know what i am doing. So for the past week i have just been eating what i want including the rice pasta and potatoes but only a single bite of those. I love Cereal so is that ok to eat? i dont know this is alll just so hard to figure out. I just had my first fill 2 weeks ago and have little to know restriction. I can eat just about anything as long as i chew but if i forget i get stuck so does that mean i have restriction? I am also eating about 2 cups of food at a time. i eat 3 meals a day with 2 Snacks. is that normal?