Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I b disqualified or rejected from ny surgery if I hav MRSA. I hav already been approved by my insurance but haven't scheduled my surgery or seen my surgeon.

Will I b disqualified or rejected from ny surgery if I hav MRSA. I hav already been approved by my insurance but haven't scheduled my surgery or seen my surgeon.

Not necessarily....I have had MRSA twice with knee replacements. The surgeon I saw is aware of it and did not seem concerned.....but it is up to your surgeon and criteria that may have to be met.

All the best to you hon,

Melinda

I would have thought that your MRSA would need to be brought under control prior to the op otherwise the risks would be huge.

Elcee is absolutely right...it is a very serious situation...have you done the 2 weeks of nasal bactroban ointment twice a day with Hibiclens skin scrubs at the same time? MRSA and the band do not mix all the way down to the port and skin.

I wish you the best of luck....your doc might put you on Clinda mycin during the pre-op post op prep and recovery period.

I wish you serious best wishes!!!

Mimi

I find this very hard to believe.

Hospitals - Infectious Disease Control, take these kind of things very seriously.

I cannot imagine someone with this going into the OR for Surgery.

If anything, a hospital would want to put you in isolation to treat the infection.

No offense, but if a hospital let it go, it would be a hospital I would not want to be admitted to.

I find this very hard to believe.

Hospitals - Infectious Disease Control, take these kind of things very seriously.

I cannot imagine someone with this going into the OR for Surgery.

If anything, a hospital would want to put you in isolation to treat the infection.

No offense, but if a hospital let it go, it would be a hospital I would not want to be admitted to.

I do not know if you were referrrig to my post and if you were, I take no offense.

Perhaps I should have elaborated. I had MRSA more than five years ago and am tested

anytime I go in for surgery of any kind. They culture my nose for it. This is usuallly done during the pre-op

workup. I have never tested positive since those two incidents but I have to agree to tested before

any surgeries--as I will be with this one. I am also given IIV antibiotics pre-op once I am admitted to

the surgery unit.

Ok so I shud prob go to the dr for preventive care. And advise my surgeon ahead of time. It's kinda strange how something that I now realize is very important. I was never asked this question out of all the millions of questions that are asked when first going into this. They make me gi through every test then at the end before surgery it is asked??? Hmmm. The mind boggles. But thank u for all who gave me information ( and criticism). Both are appreciated

:oI think we need to realize that any hospital you go to may have MRSA at anytime. We had a toilet spill at work of the worse kind and 2 people got MRSA in some minor, cuts GO figure?? not like anyone waded in the stuff. It is just like a cold, the flu and any other crap that now now flourishes in the air. I am being treated for candida, in my esohpagus... again GO figure how it got there>?? I'm thinking same toilet? but with GERD and antibiotics and recent colonoscopy where they were down my throat, I propbably got it there. Now more test before I can get my band,, We live in a dirty world, best thing is to stay healthy, and keep our immune system up as best we can. But, the suff is floating out there for sure.

I'm going to let my surgeon know in advance, I just hope that I can prevent having an outbreak before my surgery. I appreciate the advice and names of Rx that I will now ask my dr about. I'm hoping I can still hav my surgery.

@ Britneygirl - I am having the same issue, but I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday. I did not have one doctor ask me if I had MRSA. I had it about 5 years ago (same as you) with no issue since then, but now my PCP student assistant asked me on Friday when I went for clearance if I've ever had MRSA. I said yes but that it was about 5 years ago. She said that it could be dormant, but when you put a foreign body in your body it could become active. They did a nose culture, which I am waiting for the results. My doc was closed today, so I could not discuss this with him. I will call tomorrow.

@morichesdonna~ isn't it strange that something so important is not at all asked in the beginning? I wud really love to hear that u are cleared. PLZ keep me posted w ur results. I hav my 1st appointment w surgeon Wednesday and I'm going to find out if the MRSA is going to keep me from going forward on this journey. Which is more Like a freegin emotional roller coaster. Add me as a friend so we can Chat more about this. As I can tell some people r too touchy w this topic.

It is really unbelievable! I have no idea whether or not they will go through with my surgery now or not. Its really frustrating. That should be something that is asked at the beginning of this journey, so that it can be dealt with early on, not a few days before surgery. I don't know how to add you as a friend. If you let me know how to do that, I will.

@morichesdonna~ isn't it strange that something so important is not at all asked in the beginning? I wud really love to hear that u are cleared. PLZ keep me posted w ur results. I hav my 1st appointment w surgeon Wednesday and I'm going to find out if the MRSA is going to keep me from going forward on this journey. Which is more Like a freegin emotional roller coaster. Add me as a friend so we can Chat more about this. As I can tell some people r too touchy w this topic.

MRSA is incredibly common now--the official figure is that 40% of the general population in the U.S. carries it, though many medical professionals suspect that number is actually much higher. Being a MRSA carrier is not a deal-breaker for surgery. Just be sure to let your surgeon know that you have a MRSA history; he or she will almost certainly want to give you an additional antibiotic that is effective against MRSA and may want to do a Bactroban treatment beforehand. Otherwise, most surgeons don't consider it a huge problem--you just need to make sure you (and he or she) take the proper precautions.

@lizzy~ thank you for your positive feedback to this post. It is what I wanted to hear and it makes sense. I thank you for putting forth an educated response. I haven't had any problem arise so far. I got approved 2 months after my 1st consultation and now I'm just waiting for a date. I'm almost there.

I was asked about it on my initial questionaire. My daughter contracted MRSA from who knows where and has flair ups occasionally. I would hate to think that someone would expect her not to have any surgerys from something that was needed due to something that was contracted without her control. Good luck to those of you who have it and I hope that it does not interfere with your ability to have the lapband surgery.