Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so glad I came across this post; I was having difficulty choosing between CIBO and SWLC, but I am glad for the positive feed back, it was very encouraging. So SWLC it is lol....I did my the phone consult, but have not met him yet, but I am looking forward to meeting him.

LYD, did you do your consult with Dr Coburn? He's amazing. You will def be in good hands. If you want a buddy...feel free to use me!

Hello Karewpah,

I did have my consult with Dr. C; and he was great on the phone. I was considering the balloon but he explained to me why the baloon would not be the best for me and so forth, he was great.

I would love to have a buddy, it's so hard to make people understand my decision when they have not walked a mile in my shoes. Most people arround me are not very supportive, even my family doctor; she's a bit iffy about my decission and kept telling me I know what to do. And I do, I have done so many times, lost as much as 30lbs only to gain back 20 of the 30 I lost. So having a buddy who understands and have been through it, is great. Lately I have been hiding myself from all and kept my decision to myself now, I have been turning to these forums for encouragement. and so far, it's been great, except for the scary stories lol...but in everything, there's always pros and cons.

If you are planning to go to SWLC (or anywhere I suppose) as an out of town patient, there are some things you might want to look at. First, when you initially ask for information, call or email or whatever, please keep in mind that although it's a medical procedure, the people you are talking to are still trying to sell you a product. So you will hear "we have LOTS of patients just like you," "don't worry about support we keep in touch by phone, by email, etc", "you will do just great!!!", "we have vegetarians who have great success with this!" etc etc. Honestly, it has to be a sales pitch because really how can they know how you will do without every having met you?

So you fly in ($$), get a hotel ($$), and unless you can bring a second person with you ($$), you are hiring a stranger to stay in your hotel room for 24 hours ($$). You also need to factor in cabs to and from the airport, and to and from the clinic....(more $$). Meals, Protein drinks....($$).

For me, my surgery was pretty uneventful. I arrived at the clinic ten minutes prior to my surgery, and waited in the waiting room for ages because the woman at the front desk forgot to check me in, or call up, or whatever she was supposed to do. So I was discovered, rushed upstairs, and was given the condensed version of the pre-surgery speech while the nurses struggled to get their computer program running. Then it was into surgery, wake up, drink some Water, walk to the door and out you go. Back to the hotel. I hung out at the hotel for a day then flew home (Alberta).

There is no SWLC where I live, so the set up is that I see my local doctor for fills. But fills only, not advice or treatment...he is told by the SWLC team that I need a fill and how much, and I need to make an appointment at that time. When I had my first consult, it sounded like I was going to have all this other support somewhere, and it didn't occur to me to ask how I was supposed to do this without access to my surgeon or to any of the WLC team. I am pretty sure I was hearing what I wanted to hear too, I had researched the heck out of the procedure and I was very carefully avoiding those nagging questions in the back of my head.

It seems the people here who are very successful have strong support systems in place. Visits to their doctor, contact with their surgical team, support groups, coffee meetings....weigh ins, fills, post op check ups, and so on. This didn't seem nearly as important as it is now proving to be. I have been in contact with my "nurses" about a half dozen times since my surgery. Each time the contact was initiated by me, each time by email. I get (at best) a quick paragraph back. When I first spoke to them about fills and hunger, I got a pdf on satiety that I had already been given, and a note to hang in there and talk to them in a couple of weeks. So I waited a couple of weeks, and contacted them again, and again mentioned that I am experiencing a lot of hunger. I gave them a detailed update including calorie intake, exercise, meals.....and mentioned that felt the lack of support was a problem. I had a specific question for them about Protein sources for a vegetarian. I got another one liner back -- "hang in there, you are in bandster hell......next fill in two weeks we will contact your doctor".

So fills are four weeks apart apparently, I would assume this is an across the board thing not geared individually to each patient. Which is a bit different than the sales pitch "tailored to individual needs" would have a person believe. Also as an out of towner, you need to know that fills cost you money each time you visit a doctor (only SWLC fills are part of the package). So if your surgeon decides to do a lot of small fills over time, this is going to add up. So when you go see your doctor locally for fills, it will cost you at the time and he (or she) will not be able to give you advice or answer your questions. Something else I glossed over in my head.

All in all, I am not sorry that I had this procedure. I just wish I had paid more attention to the emotional consequences of being so far away from the Dr and clinic. I was pretty sure I could tough it out and that I wasn't the type to need my hand held -- it's a bit surprising to me that I am indeed that type :)

So be aware, SWLC is a professional caring organization, but if you are travelling from another town or province they will just be that clinic somewhere else, they won't be "your" clinic, or "your" doctor. And if that is going to matter to you, make sure you think that part through very carefully.

I have to agree with the SWLC feedback. Excellent client care and supportive. It's been great so far. Now I have to focus on my food intake ski do my part!

When the band is in OHIP kicks in. I had a slip and had to have it fixed. There was no out of pocket fee.

As for the 5 year limit...it's in the contract and therefore enforceable if needed' date=' they did tell me about it up front but also mention that to date they've never charged someone whose had it longer than 5 years. You have to think though, post 5 years...you're not going to be going in for the umber of fills you do in the first year[/quote']

True. I can't imagine that there would be a big need after 5 years, but I'm confident they'll be supportive then too!

If you are planning to go to SWLC (or anywhere I suppose) as an out of town patient, there are some things you might want to look at. First, when you initially ask for information, call or email or whatever, please keep in mind that although it's a medical procedure, the people you are talking to are still trying to sell you a product. So you will hear "we have LOTS of patients just like you," "don't worry about support we keep in touch by phone, by email, etc", "you will do just great!!!", "we have vegetarians who have great success with this!" etc etc. Honestly, it has to be a sales pitch because really how can they know how you will do without every having met you?

So you fly in ($$), get a hotel ($$), and unless you can bring a second person with you ($$), you are hiring a stranger to stay in your hotel room for 24 hours ($$). You also need to factor in cabs to and from the airport, and to and from the clinic....(more $$). Meals, Protein drinks....($$).

For me, my surgery was pretty uneventful. I arrived at the clinic ten minutes prior to my surgery, and waited in the waiting room for ages because the woman at the front desk forgot to check me in, or call up, or whatever she was supposed to do. So I was discovered, rushed upstairs, and was given the condensed version of the pre-surgery speech while the nurses struggled to get their computer program running. Then it was into surgery, wake up, drink some Water, walk to the door and out you go. Back to the hotel. I hung out at the hotel for a day then flew home (Alberta).

There is no SWLC where I live, so the set up is that I see my local doctor for fills. But fills only, not advice or treatment...he is told by the SWLC team that I need a fill and how much, and I need to make an appointment at that time. When I had my first consult, it sounded like I was going to have all this other support somewhere, and it didn't occur to me to ask how I was supposed to do this without access to my surgeon or to any of the WLC team. I am pretty sure I was hearing what I wanted to hear too, I had researched the heck out of the procedure and I was very carefully avoiding those nagging questions in the back of my head.

It seems the people here who are very successful have strong support systems in place. Visits to their doctor, contact with their surgical team, support groups, coffee meetings....weigh ins, fills, post op check ups, and so on. This didn't seem nearly as important as it is now proving to be. I have been in contact with my "nurses" about a half dozen times since my surgery. Each time the contact was initiated by me, each time by email. I get (at best) a quick paragraph back. When I first spoke to them about fills and hunger, I got a pdf on satiety that I had already been given, and a note to hang in there and talk to them in a couple of weeks. So I waited a couple of weeks, and contacted them again, and again mentioned that I am experiencing a lot of hunger. I gave them a detailed update including calorie intake, exercise, meals.....and mentioned that felt the lack of support was a problem. I had a specific question for them about Protein sources for a vegetarian. I got another one liner back -- "hang in there, you are in bandster hell......next fill in two weeks we will contact your doctor".

So fills are four weeks apart apparently, I would assume this is an across the board thing not geared individually to each patient. Which is a bit different than the sales pitch "tailored to individual needs" would have a person believe. Also as an out of towner, you need to know that fills cost you money each time you visit a doctor (only SWLC fills are part of the package). So if your surgeon decides to do a lot of small fills over time, this is going to add up. So when you go see your doctor locally for fills, it will cost you at the time and he (or she) will not be able to give you advice or answer your questions. Something else I glossed over in my head.

All in all, I am not sorry that I had this procedure. I just wish I had paid more attention to the emotional consequences of being so far away from the Dr and clinic. I was pretty sure I could tough it out and that I wasn't the type to need my hand held -- it's a bit surprising to me that I am indeed that type :)

So be aware, SWLC is a professional caring organization, but if you are travelling from another town or province they will just be that clinic somewhere else, they won't be "your" clinic, or "your" doctor. And if that is going to matter to you, make sure you think that part through very carefully.

I have to say that the negative responses above are somewhat self inflicted. SWLC has clinics in Alberta whereby it is the doctor/nurse who does your fills that answers all questions/concerns but can only answer what you ask. We do NOT pay for fills in Alberta if the surgery was done by SWLC. SWLC has frequent and informative webinars on a frequent basis to help understand, motivate and learn from your band. SWLC is not going to be the one to call YOU on regular basis. They do call 2 weeks post op to check up on you.

Getting the band was/is our choice and yes SWLC is a business. Thank goodness they are there. But we have to take responsibility to get the info we need when we need it. SWLC also pays for 3 nights of hotels.

All in all, if this was/is the choice that you choose to make, no it is not for free and dont expect to have it for free. Money for airport transfers, taxi's is all part of being able to pay for the procedure 100%. Save your money, get your flight and rental car on Air Miles, have a friend, spouse family member attend with you. If you cant afford it, then you have to wait provincially for the program. Don't blame SWLC for being a business and then having to pay for extra expenses on top of it.

Reality check...it cost us to get to this point in our life, so it will cost to get us out of this mess and into a new life!

Getting my Band from SWLC on October 16, 2013.

The aftercare at Smart Shape is not good - they get your money do the surgery and then not much...disappointing and you pay $3,000 of your fee for support.

I have to totally disagree with the people who say that Smart Shapes aftercare for out of town people is not good. I live in Newfoundland and I had my surgery over a year ago. The staff at Smart Shape are fantastic. My care was excellent when I was in Toronto. After I arrived home I had lots of support by way of online sessions. I have also had numerous phone calls and emails to the nurses and nutritionists. While it is true the local doctor only fills based on Smart Shapes recommendation it is only after Smart Shape consults with the patient. There is also no charge for the fills for 5 years. To be honest I have been supported by Smart Shape from a distance then I have been by local doctors for other medical conditions I have had in the past. The only thing I would have done differently would have stayed in Toronto for a couple of extra days to recover. I hope this clarifies Smart Shape to everyone as they are an excellent choice.

What were you all expecting from your surgery team?

I understood going into this surgery that they would do their part (surgery, information, webinars, nutrition consult via phone), but it was up to ME to do my part.

They gave us the rules in writing and verbally. The day of my surgery they kept drumming these rules into my brain. they know people only hear three words: surgery lose weight. Before surgery, and after surgery-same information repeated over and over.

Did all of this seem to happen really fast? You bet it did. into surgery, wake up, drink water-still groggy. Go back to hotel and rest up. Flight home was the worst part of this whole experience (4 hours stuck in a chair).

I am surviving and the surgery has been successful.

I still have to give myself a refresher on the golden lap band rules every few weeks. It's easy to slip back into old comfortable habits.

As for the medical team at Smart Shape....they cannot give medical advise over the phone, they cannot tell you to stray from the Canada food Guide, they cannot tell you to get additional fills.

for all of you that a living a distance away from a clinic....you should have realized you would have to travel for fills. If you need additional consult time, tell them that when you book it.

I get an email once a month from the nurses at smart shape. Please contact us and tell us how you are doing. They have a lot of patients to keep track of. It is up to all of us to tell them what WE need from them.

I was banded in 2012 at SWLC with Dr. Cobourn and am very happy with my results. I thought he was a very kind and caring doctor.

Hi All

I will be banded in 2 days and my husband will be banded in a month, both by Dr. Cobourn..

Extremely nervous right now and hoping that we are both successful in this journey.

Dr. Cobourn and the staff have been very attentive and responsive so far and up to this point I highly recommend them! and from all that I have read on here I think we are in good hands.

I was very excited to find this site, we didn't tell anyone about getting banded and I know I will need more support than him, hopefully I will find that here