Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Senior in Dallas with high BMI just beginning

Hi all,

I just joined this group last week. My plan is to get the band in the next 3-6 months. My goal is to lose 200 lbs.

I was feeling pretty good about my decision until I went for my first visit with the dietician in my surgeon's office and spent some time with the Physician's Assistant who was overbearing, bullying and very negative. Plus she is the one who does the fills.

While my doctor assured me the band was a good choice, his P.A. was trying to talk me out of it, saying things like "we had a patient who lost 200 lbs. but it took her 6 years to do it."

I told her one of the compelling reasons I chose the band is because the bypass is 5x more dangerous and maybe even more so at my age (65), weight (403) and co-morbidities (diabetes, heart attack 12 years ago, and coronary artery disease -- well controlled with no problems since).

I'd like to get your input on losing 200 lbs. with the band. I might add that on my own self-imposed diet I've lost 12 lbs. in the past 30 days (nothing drastic, just more vigilant about what and how much I eat).

I chose this doctor because he has the best credentials, experience and success rate in the area. I feel like I need him to be my surgeon even though none of his office staff seems supportive or very caring.

Your thoughts?

wow, did you tell the surgeon his PA was trying to talk you out of the surgery? he needs to be informed that his staff is not very nice, that turns patients away. there is one nurse at my surgeons office who has been very rude to some patients and seems to be put out if they call for an unfill. i go to a different nurse, and she is awesome. does not talk down to me and is very encouraging and informative. you are the only one who can make the decision, not anyone else. next time the PA says some BS to you, tell them that it is your decision and that is that. it is better to lose the weight slowly, 1 to 2 lbs per week is ideal, what my doctor calls the sweet spot. when you lose it slowly, it is more likely to stay off. the bypass, most patients regain the weight in 5 years and my surgeon will not do the bypass, only the band or sleeve. he says the bypass is worthless. :)

wishing you the best :)

Hey ... thanks for writing back!! Here's my update:

UPDATE: Just fillin' you guys in..

From everything I'm hearing, it seems like I probably won't lose the 200 lbs. I want to lose. I guess I'll be lucky if I lose 100 lb. I keep going round and round in my mind what to do.

Truthfully, now with a more complete picture, I think the sleeve would be my best bet. Chances are good that I'd lose a substantial amount with the sleeve, and if I needed a revision, I could easily convert into the bypass.

That said, Medicare, does not cover the sleeve yet. It's anyone's guess as to when they will -- anywhere from 18 months to 5 years. I don't have the time to wait.

I am too scared to have the bypass, because of my age, prior history of a heart attack and co-morbidities. I'm sure I will pass all of the pre-op tests with flying colors. But I'm afraid to be on the table for the length of time it takes to do a bypass and the fact that it's 5x more dangerous than any other procedure. Since I had extensive abdominal surgery to remove my ovarian cancer, they don't know if scarring will be an issue that will force an open surgery vs. laparoscopic. And while I'm not having any heart problems, who knows what will happen during surgery. My doc tells me I'm already at a higher risk for pretty much everything, including a pulmonary embolism.

Now all I have to do is find the right doc. My doc is probably the best and most experienced surgeon around, but I do not like his support staff (particularly the P.A. who will be doing the fills). I am going to see if I can find another doc as this one is 35 miles away, and I won't see that PA unless I have no other choice. I thought the doc wouild b e doing my fills, but I was ill informed. Since I live in Dallas, I should be able to find someone quite competent -- Dallas is loaded with weight loss docs.

Right now I'm on the medically supervised diet and doing quite well, to my surprise I've already lost 12 of the 20 pounds I need to drop without much effort. I'm not actually following the "diet" just being practical about what and how much I eat.

Best wishes and healing thoughts for all you and any newbies. I'm not sure where I'm gonna hang out on this board -- but I will be popping into the 60s for sure.

Kate

Hi all,

I just joined this group last week. My plan is to get the band in the next 3-6 months. My goal is to lose 200 lbs.

I was feeling pretty good about my decision until I went for my first visit with the dietician in my surgeon's office and spent some time with the Physician's Assistant who was overbearing, bullying and very negative. Plus she is the one who does the fills.

While my doctor assured me the band was a good choice, his P.A. was trying to talk me out of it, saying things like "we had a patient who lost 200 lbs. but it took her 6 years to do it."

I told her one of the compelling reasons I chose the band is because the bypass is 5x more dangerous and maybe even more so at my age (65), weight (403) and co-morbidities (diabetes, heart attack 12 years ago, and coronary artery disease -- well controlled with no problems since).

I'd like to get your input on losing 200 lbs. with the band. I might add that on my own self-imposed diet I've lost 12 lbs. in the past 30 days (nothing drastic, just more vigilant about what and how much I eat).

I chose this doctor because he has the best credentials, experience and success rate in the area. I feel like I need him to be my surgeon even though none of his office staff seems supportive or very caring.

Your thoughts?

Kati good luck with your decision and congratulations on your current weight loss. I am 60 with 1 co-morbity (high BP). I had the lapband with Plication. I am down 60 pounds and just reached my halfway point. My surgery was 7-7-11. It took me 3-4 months to decide what was best for me. Do your research and give it a great deal of thought before you decide and good luck. No matter what you decide, WLS is only a tool, you still have work to do on your own...Best wishes from Florida..Melinda

Don't let anyone tell you it cannot be done, I have lost 116 in just over six months. It all depends on how hard you work at it and how you use your tool. You can do it, Good luck

Thanks, Melinda, for your supportive comments. I'm thrilled for you that you've already lost 60 pounds, Wow! You must feel fantastic.

Weighing everything, I'm definitely going to stick with the band. Every now and then someone posts who thinks I'm crazy to do it -- that it doesn't work, causes problems, etc.

I don't want to hear from anyone trying to talk me out of the band. As you said, it is my decision, and I have chosen the band as the best surgery for me. Medicare covers it or the bypass. I'm familiar with pcilation and glad to hear that it's working for you.

Guess you're not short and chunky anymore!

Kate

Brenda,

Congratulations. That is phenomenal!!! What exactly have you been doing?

I appreciate your support. Weighing everything, I'm definitely going to stick with the band. Every now and then someone posts who thinks I'm crazy to do it -- that it doesn't work, causes problems, etc.

I don't want to hear from anyone trying to talk me out of the band. I have chosen the band as the best surgery for me. Medicare covers it or the bypass.

What a transformation you have gone thru! How long has it been since you were near your current weight?

Kate

Hi Ladies,

I just read this. Slow, sometimes! Brenda, you have done marvelously! And Kati, where are you on your progress? I was 62 when I got my band. I have lost 100 lbs and feel great! I have been at goal for about 10 months, now. I am not going to tell you it was all a bed of roses. But, I feel great, and look better! I love shopping as my new addiction, not food! My husband is still a pusher, but, he used to push food. Now, he pushes clothes shopping!

He always liked me to dress nice, but at 250 lbs, it is hard to find nice looking clothes that look nice on you. Good luck to both of you ladies. Karen

Kate,

There are several people here at LBT who have done lapband with plication and it sounds pretty good. It's worth asking the Dr. about.

As for the lapband and my experience with it, I do believe you can take off 200 pounds! I'm glad I didn't have anyone tell me I would only take off 50% of my excess weight with the band. That would have been so discouraging and it simply isn't true. With a high BMI, your chances of dropping 150 pounds in the first year are great. After the first year the weightloss will slow down, but I do believe you can take off the last 50 pounds in that time.

When I started I figured I had about 114 pounds to take off. I lost 100 in the first year with very little effort on my part. If I can do that, I have no reason to believe you can't.

As for the office staff, maybe try the "killing them with kindness" thing.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for jumping on this band wagon & congrats on your weight loss. So ... you were 62 then ... that makes you in your early 40s ,.,, according to my personal age calculator. LOL :P

Kate

BRENDA,

I put your name in all quotes to get your attention. So HOW DID YOU DO IT?

KATE

Hi Karen,

Thanks for jumping on this band wagon & congrats on your weight loss. So ... you were 62 then ... that makes you in your early 40s ,.,, according to my personal age calculator. LOL :P

Kate

HA! Sounds good to me! My husband says I look at least 10 years younger! 20 sounds even better, but then I would be younger than my oldest daughter! :oB)

Kate, I'm coming into this a little late. You have an excellent surgeon, with a good reputation.

Something I'd like you to talk over with him, is the band WITH plication. This is a rather new

procedure, but it works like the sleeve with none of it's disadvantages. It should be good for

rapid weight loss and is reversible, should that become necessary. I've had it and haven't

seen a downside yet. The beauty of this procedure is that if your weight loss ever slacks off,

the band can be filled for extra restriction. I'm not selling anything, just enthusiastic about it.

If you're interested and I can be of further help, please PM me.

PS: I didn't read all the preceding posts and just saw this has been

mentioned several times before. Add my comments to the rest.

Certainly time for me to update you folks on what is going on with me. I have had so many ups and downs, I'm about to name a new roller coaster after my experience. I have had 3 dr. visits so far. My search continued, though, because while I did find the most celebrated dr. in the Dallas area, his office is 35 miles away. Too far for me.

I was about to switch to True Results when I learned they don't take my insurance, which is Medicare. Finally had a bit of luck when a True Results employee recommended a dr. with whom she had worked. Things are looking good for me to be banded by Dr. Harry Meyers in Dallas. I have an appt. on Apr. 2.

Medicare does not allow anything new, so the sleeve and plication are out. Strictly bypass or band, nothing else. Thanks for the recommendations, though.

I will post another update when I have one.