Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Liquid Diet Before Lap Band Surgery?

Views
Started by Tulip16, Sep 04, 2011 12:39 AM
26 replies to this topic
Share this topic with all your friends:

26 replies to this topic

Tulip16

Novice

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: George Woodman
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2011
  • Starting Weight: 240 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 43 lbs
  • Current Weight: 197 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 140 lbs
  • BMI: 30
Posted September 4, 2011 - 12:39 AM

Hello all,
My doctor has given me pre-op instructions that begin the day before surgery: clear liquids only. After searching online, I see some people talking about a 2-3 week pre-op liquid protein diet. Would you mind sharing your pre-op diet and when it started? My doctor is Dr. George Woodman in Memphis. Thanks so much!
:)

screeden

Junior Guru

• Surgeon: Stephen Malley
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2011
  • Starting Weight: 262 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 71 lbs
  • Current Weight: 191 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 160 lbs
  • BMI: 30.8
Posted September 4, 2011 - 1:58 AM

mine was a 2 week "fasting diet", which consisted of a slimfast in the morning, slimfast for lunch and a lean cuisine type meal for dinner. was allowed 2 fruits with shakes and 2 snacks of pudding or milk. the day before surgery, i was on a clear liquid diet. my surgeon says it is to shrink the liver some so easier access to the stomach. i lost 6 lbs on mine.

katyana

Advanced Member

• Surgeon: Philippe Quilici
  • Starting Weight: 326 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 34 lbs
  • Current Weight: 292 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 175 lbs
  • BMI: 40.7
Posted September 4, 2011 - 2:01 PM

Mine was a 2 week "full liquid" diet, 1000 calories per day. I was allowed juices, soups, protein shakes, yogurts, sugar-free jello and puddings, that sort of thing. And then for the last 48 hours before surgery, we had to switch to clear liquid only - we were allowed anything you could see through, so it was mostly juice (apple, cranberry, grape, that sort of stuff, nothing like orange), broth (chicken, beef or vegetable), and only clear protein drinks (I got some from Isopure, at my local GNC). The point was to shrink the liver, to make the surgery go better. My surgeon said I did great, that my liver looked really good and that surgery was a breeze (mine was last Thursday).

BaileyRose

Bariatric Guru

• Surgeon: Terry Simpson
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2011
  • Starting Weight: 306 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 16 lbs
  • Current Weight: 290 lbs
  • BMI: 49.8
Posted September 4, 2011 - 5:28 PM

Mine was "try to stay away from the carbs" for 2 weeks and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I had to stay under a certain BMI for surgery and I was nervous about being over it so I put myself on liquids for three days prior to surgery... But my doctor didn't require it.

xianlenore

Novice

• Surgeon: Santiago Horgan
  • Starting Weight: 256 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 113 lbs
  • Current Weight: 143 lbs
  • BMI: 23.1
Posted September 5, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Mine is a four week diet, currently on the 3rd week, which consists of broth,16oz of juice, 2 protein drinks, 3 servings of dairy (one serving of Greek yogurt), at least 64 ounces of water, 2 no sugar added Fudgesicles, sugar free Popsicles, and diet juices or drinks. It's pretty hard, but I've already lost 20lbs. My surgery is scheduled for September 14th.

Corrigan

Bariatric Evangelist

• Surgeon: Miguel Burch
  • Starting Weight: 300 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 80 lbs
  • Current Weight: 220 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 200 lbs
  • BMI: 29
Posted September 5, 2011 - 3:29 PM

Mine was the same as Screeden's. Two shakes and a tiny little dinner. I go in next Monday. I'll be glad to get it over.

n.estrada

• Surgeon: Ron Hekier
  • Starting Weight: 340 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 340 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 170 lbs
  • BMI: 62.2
Posted September 6, 2011 - 12:11 PM

I have two weeks of 3 protein drinks a day and unlimited sugar-free jello. I am on day five and I am soooo hungry. I have gone through every flavor of jello and I have realized that that all pretty much taste the same after a while. It's hard, but I just keep telling myself that it will be worth it.

vickyb1001

• Surgeon: Christopher You
  • Starting Weight: 247 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 31 lbs
  • Current Weight: 216 lbs
  • BMI: 37.1
Posted September 6, 2011 - 5:24 PM

mine is 5 protein shakes a day for 2 weeks , no food nothing just shakes and im ok most of the time but seeing food really makes me emotional at this point. I have 5 days to go and I wish they would go faster.

Leisha249

• Surgeon: Adam Smith
  • Starting Weight: 250 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 70 lbs
  • Current Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 30
Posted September 12, 2011 - 8:37 AM

My pre op diet....protein drinks for breakfast and lunch...any soup for dinner. Any sugar free jello, jello pudding. V8, cottage cheese (gross) or fat free yogurt. This is day 3. Surgery is Sept 23. Miss pepsi the most. Dr says NO carbonation again,,,,ever. Am a pepsiaholica. Found carmel calicum chews...yummy. So nervous,,,you can find so much positive about having surgery and just as much negative. I read they have stopped doing lab band in other countrys. Have read some Drs here have stopped doing them too. But then read about the sucess rate and just leaves me confussed.

bromo

Junior Guru

• Surgeon: William Scott Pennington
  • Starting Weight: 272 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 34 lbs
  • Current Weight: 238 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 145 lbs
  • BMI: 39.6
Posted September 12, 2011 - 8:43 AM

Am on the last day of my preop diet which is 4 protein shakes a day, a small meal of protein and all the low carb veggies I want. Can also have the sugar free popcicles and jello. I have lost 10 pounds as of this morning on the preop diet and tomorrow is clear liquids only with surgery on Wed! I can hardly wait. Going to go get a pedicure today just to have pretty feet for surgery and get my mind on something else. I cannot stop thinking about it. lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates