Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

3 weeks after band- can eat just about anything...confused

Views
Started by Clairebell, Aug 23, 2011 11:06 PM
5 replies to this topic
5 replies to this topic

Clairebell

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 211 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 9 lbs
  • Current Weight: 202 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 125 lbs
  • BMI: 36.9
  • My Blogs
Posted August 23, 2011 - 11:06 PM

I am about 3 weeks post surgery with no fills. I am confused because I thought after the band, my body would reject most foods. Finding if I chew, I can eat just about anything. Havent felt the full feeling from the band yet. Is it a bad to eat small amounts of food now (popcorn for example). I can eat carbs and have zero reaction. Is this normal.

Autumn81

• Surgeon: Richard Benavides
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Starting Weight: 305
  • Weight Lost: 31
  • Current Weight: 274
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 42.9
Posted August 24, 2011 - 1:54 AM

<br />I am about 3 weeks post surgery with no fills.  I am confused because I thought after the band, my body would reject most foods.  Finding if I chew, I can eat just about anything.  Havent felt the full feeling from the band yet.  Is it a bad to eat small amounts of food now (popcorn for example).  I can eat carbs and have zero reaction.  Is this normal.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

As my NP says, Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. You're in thee phase coined as "Bandster Hell" before your first fill. Carbs will not give you the full feeling like protein. The food has to trigger the nerves and like they toold you, "sliders" will not do that. Once you get your first or second fill, you will most
ikely find foods you can't tolerate/get through the band. After surgery I could eat 3 pieces of pizza(shouldn't have), but now, even the smalllest bite gets stuck in the band. This is the same for most carbs. It hurts like hell and I'm left sliming and vomiting. Not worth it. I've made some mistakes, but I'm getting on track now so ill tell you like others have told me. Follow the diet like they advised and you will be successful. You have to change your lifestyle/habits and you don't want to stretch your pouch at only 3 weeks out. Also, your body is not supposed to reject most foods. You should be able to eat most things. You have to make the choices to not eat some things.

Best of luck
Autumn

AlienBandit

Bariatric Evangelist

Posted August 24, 2011 - 8:06 PM

It takes a while to get to the sweet spot where you get full faster and don't eat a lot.

I remember about a month after getting banded I could almost eat an entire burger king meal before getting full, nothing got stuck and I was barely losing.

Once you get fills things will change. This is not a magic wand

lifeisjustbeginning2011

Junior Guru

• Surgery Date: Jul 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Starting Weight: 315 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 109 lbs
  • Current Weight: 206 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 153 lbs
  • BMI: 33.2
Posted August 24, 2011 - 9:07 PM

Yes. I left bandster hell 2 weeks ago. It isn't fun - and your surgery did not fail - but your tummy has to rest from the trauma of having the band put in before it is safe to fill it. These are difficult weeks, I'm not going to lie, but it does get better!! :)

honk

Bariatric Legend

Posted August 24, 2011 - 9:16 PM

FYI my doctor says you should be ABLE to eat just about everything. The band will help with hunger but it won't STOP you from eating things you should'nt. Not to be a downer but this is going to be 80% you. I'm at restriction and while I can eat anything I choose not to pick high calorie foods.

Mscarter007

• Surgeon: Dominick Gadaleta
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Starting Weight: 315
  • Weight Lost: 10
  • Current Weight: 305
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 52.3
Posted August 25, 2011 - 1:50 PM

Yesterday made 3 weeks to the day for me. I can eat just about anything but I try not to. We are "healing" and some of us heal faster than others. Just be mindful, maybe keep a journal, and wait for the first fill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Oct 25
    normalgirl

Ive lossed 140 pounds

Show comments (1)
View All Updates