Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Fish sticks.. Good or bad?

Views
Started by REDsparkles11, Aug 02, 2011 11:44 PM
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic with all your friends:

8 replies to this topic

REDsparkles11

Advanced Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: O Layton Alldredge
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2011
  • Starting Weight: 278 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 63 lbs
  • Current Weight: 215 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 160 lbs
  • BMI: 36.9
Posted August 2, 2011 - 11:44 PM

So I bought some Fish sticks from Costco that are by the brand Trident. I have already tried one bag before hand, and they are great, and only lightly breaded... I have lost almost 50 lbs. So Im figuring they should be ok to eat for lunch, I usually only have 3 or 4, and their very small. What do you guys think? Its a super easy way for me to get the protein from the fish... Just wanted to know if anyone else has tried them :) Thanks bunches! Kayla

Woodslass

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Gerald Kirshenbaum
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2011
  • Starting Weight: 370 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 52 lbs
  • Current Weight: 318 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 175 lbs
  • BMI: 47
  • My Blogs
Posted August 3, 2011 - 9:27 AM

I would say it really depends on the calories, fat and nutrition you get from those vs a red snapper filet or slice of grilled salmon. Do you not usually like fish and that's why you want them in something that tastes like junk food? I haven't tried them.

I usually treat myself to a really nice piece of fish - I'll go to Whole Foods and choose a salmon filet from the butcher case, or some fresh red snapper or haddock, and either grill it on a plank on the barbeque, bake it with white wine and lemon in foil, or pan sear it. I'm trying like crazy to stay away from extra carbs.

REDsparkles11

Advanced Member

• Surgeon: O Layton Alldredge
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2011
  • Starting Weight: 278 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 63 lbs
  • Current Weight: 215 lbs
  • BMI: 36.9
Posted August 3, 2011 - 10:34 AM

I eat alot of salmon fillets and tilapia for dinner, but I just like the fish sticks for lunch because their easy, and they DO NOT taste like junk food, nor are they, Their calories are very low, and high protein, and I always stay inside my calorie range. Its not that I like them because their like junk food, I stay away from junk :)

Woodslass

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Gerald Kirshenbaum
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2011
  • Starting Weight: 370 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 52 lbs
  • Current Weight: 318 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 175 lbs
  • BMI: 47
  • My Blogs
Posted August 3, 2011 - 11:01 AM

If the calories are low, I say go for it :)

Pittbull29

• Surgeon: Gary Robinson
  • Starting Weight: 248 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 248 lbs
  • BMI: 42.6
Posted August 3, 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hey girl that's actually a good idea for a quick meal especially since I hate fish! I've been thinking about replacing a lot of beef with lo-fat ground turkey but the only fish I eat is tuna salad sometimes. Fishsticks would be a good no red meat meal for me. Thanks for the idea.:rolleyes:

CheckYes

• Surgeon: Laura Machado
Posted August 4, 2011 - 12:06 AM

I was eating Dr Pragers potato-crusted fish sticks which are gluten free. I found them to be really easy to have on those days where I needed something to cook without thinking about it too much. They are pretty healthy and easy.

Now, I tend to eat more vegan than vegetarian with an occasional piece of fish but plan on eliminating fish altogether.

B-52

Bariatric Hero

• Surgery Date: Jan 2011
Posted August 4, 2011 - 7:26 AM

I think I bought the same large bag of Fish Sticks at Costco you are referring to.

I am not a calorie/carb counter. With me and my band, how much I eat is very limited.
Yesterday I cooked 5 of these fish sticks, along with some mixed veggies as a side.
Out of 5, I could only eat 2-1/2. Ate 1/2 the veggies, and that was it for dinner. Had yogurt with fruit later for dessert.

I don't count calories, but I do count my protein intake daily. So the foods I choose to eat are based upon that. And if I'm looking for high protein foods, there is no room for junk food.

Jack

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery Date: Dec 2004
  • Weight Lost: 85 lbs
Posted August 4, 2011 - 10:23 AM

One of my favorite meals is baked fish sticks and home canned green beans. Typically I'll have 4-6 fish sticks and 1/2-1 cup beans. Sometimes less.

VickiC

• Surgeon: Tom White
  • Surgery Date: Jun 2011
  • Starting Weight: 308 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 18 lbs
  • Current Weight: 290 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 54.8
Posted August 7, 2011 - 2:30 PM

I dont really know if they are good or bad but I'm going to try them :). thanks for sharing the brand as I;m looking for something fast and easy for lunch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Apr 24
    BladeFox

Don't know what happened this morning, but I had a near total embarassing...

Show comments (7)
View All Updates

Topics with No Reply