Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New, 19, and need someone to relate to

Hi My name is Montana, I haven't had lap band yet but i'm getting it in July. Super excited about it but at the same time i'm scared which i'm sure all sorts of people are regardless of how old we are.

So, Just from people my own age, what has lap band done for you, and what has your journey like so far? rolleyes.gif

I was banded when I was 19. My year anniversary was this May and I have lost 115lbs+ My journey has been flawless honestly. Never got a fill and my life has changed amazingly. Good luck! If you ever need anything feel free to PM me.

Hi My name is Montana, I haven't had lap band yet but i'm getting it in July. Super excited about it but at the same time i'm scared which i'm sure all sorts of people are regardless of how old we are.

So, Just from people my own age, what has lap band done for you, and what has your journey like so far? rolleyes.gif

My name's Aly and I'm 18. I'm getting banded on July 5th!

What's your date?

I got my band at 18 (almost 19 though) At my one year i had lost 100 LBS :] it was an amazing feeling. I looked good, i felt good, I was living life (always did before i got my band but theres something about liking the way you look that makes it better!) I was partying with my friends and boyfriend and then about a month later i started having issues. I was starving constantly which really sucks when you havent felt what it was like to actually be hungry in over a year and weird stuff was upsetting my stomach and i basically worried myself into a huge knot because i thought it might have slipped and was freaking out.

As it turns out my band is wonderfully still in place my issues were coming from being pregnant! Unfortunately my surgeon recommended de-filling for a my pregnancy and i have gained some weight back but plan on getting cinched right back up within a week of delivery!

All in all my band is wonderful and it was and is the best decision I have ever made (other than deciding to keep my baby of course!)

I was banded one month after my 18th birthday on April 25th of this year. So far, I've lost almost 40 pounds and I'm still dropping. :) It really has changed my life.

I don't have a surgery date or anything yet, but I think I really want to get the Lap Band. I'm attending a seminar and meeting a surgeon next month. I'm just happy to know that there are other close to my age (I'm 20). For any of you that have already had it how much of a change was it for you? Especially if you are in college and are on campus? Please send me a message or reply :)

I don't have a surgery date or anything yet, but I think I really want to get the Lap Band. I'm attending a seminar and meeting a surgeon next month. I'm just happy to know that there are other close to my age (I'm 20). For any of you that have already had it how much of a change was it for you? Especially if you are in college and are on campus? Please send me a message or reply :)

Hey :) I hope you decide to get lapband! Once I made up my mind that I wanted it, there was no stopping me. I live off campus with my mom, which made things a lot easier for recovery, but as long as your roomie is a decent one, they should be able to help you. Just try and plan it around a break, or maybe even summer/winter when the semester is over. I took summer classes and still managed to have my surgery done in the 6 week break between then and fall :P So it's definitely possible. I'd say the hardest thing would probably be getting to classes if you have to walk, but that's only the first week or two after surgery. Now I'm 4 weeks post-op and I'm 100% back to normal. :) I'm here anytime if you have questions or anything!

You should go for it. Especially with you being young and in college if your already not out there and social it will definitely open up a lot of those doors. I had mine when I was 19 in February 2010 and now 22 and I was very anti-social and going to college was awkward but I don't worry about the same things I did when I was overweight and it makes the experience a lot easier. I was however not on campus when I had mine but the recovery time isn't too long so as long as you take the time to watch your diet for as long as your doctor says as far as drinking fluids and watch what you eat overall I think you would be fine. Plus if you do run into anything I am sure you have a Clinic on campus which the nurse can help you with whatever. I would still keep in contact with your doctor if you live further away at a college than maybe get a referral to a doctor in case of emergencies. Because being new to the band can be scary for some people and hey you never know you may find someone on your campus who has it too. Where do you go to college if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Montana!

I am currently 18 years old and a freshman in college. I was banded April 25th as a senior in high school, a month after my 18th birthday, and since then I have lost 71 pounds. :) I started out at over 320 pounds, and now I'm around 250. It definitely makes college eating easier considering I physically CANNOT eat too much. Now I can move, keep up with my friends, and just feel better. The band was a great decision for me, but you have to make sure that you have a support group around you, especially with friends etc. If your friends go out and try to pressure you to eat with them, it can be a bad thing. Just make sure you have a backing behind you and you will be okay. :)

Good luck on your surgery!

Elizabeth