Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Learn how to spell

Views
Started by Papillon Princess, Jun 01, 2011 8:23 PM
64 replies to this topic
64 replies to this topic

kll724

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Lee Grossbard
  • Surgery Date: Oct 2009
  • Starting Weight: 244
  • Weight Lost: 67
  • Current Weight: 177
  • Goal Weight: 145
  • BMI: 31.4
Posted June 4, 2011 - 5:42 AM

Yea, biccies or biscuits - they're cookies, but not humungous ones the size of a car wheel, more the type you buy in the supermarket produced in a factory. A scone is more like what America calls biscuits - I think. I think I was told once that what we call crumpets are English muffins to Americans, whereas I'm not sure what we call an English muffin actually is to an American? I've had grits explained to me a zillion times but I just cant grasp the concept.

Also, talking to my sister in law, who spent a couple of years living in Canada and the US just recently, when people react with horror that we Aussies still eat bread, we're not talking the same thing at all. Think of McDonalds buns, says my SIL and that's bread, its very soft, doughy and slightly sweet whereas what we eat here on a daily basis would be something exotic and continental that you'd have to buy at a bakery - a much more rustic and healthy option. I bought some rolls at Costco recently and had to throw them out, they were truly awful, I dont like any of Costco's bakery products, they're very very different to what we have here. Also, our cappucinos and lattes are not such an indulgence because they're European style and purely espresso and steamed milk. So there's being culturally myopic, which is one thing and there's truly confusion when we use the same words to describe very different things.

But surely everyone knows that anaesthaesia, oesophagos, oestrogen etc are just another way of spelling the same word? Just like grey/gray colour/color etc.

What I *REALLY* hate is the freaking Microsoft dictionary. Now that is culturally myopic, as it only includes the American way of spelling everything.

This is off topic, but it is fascinating how we can be talking about such things, and meaning something entirely different.

I had to quote this because I really loved the whole message. You are definitely culturally aware, probably more so, than most Americans are.
Great posts. I agree with everyone, spelling is important. My granddaughter is getting out of kindergarten in 4 days. They have not expressed spelling this year, just writing skills. I believe, next year, her school will work on spelling along with the writing skills.
Keep up, I have enjoyed this discussion. Karen

MelissaNY

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: Wayne Weiss
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2011
  • Starting Weight: 267
  • Weight Lost: 68
  • Current Weight: 199
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 33.1
Posted June 19, 2011 - 9:36 AM

rant all you want, but if you have nothing better then to go through posts and correct them, or grade them, go find a new hobby.

I spell wrong sometimes, im human, im not correct with my paragraphs, but who give a crap!! Im typing fast and cant see

Maybe you should start your own Form called Welcome to Correct Punctuation.

Also did u ever think that maybe people may have a disability? dyslexia? Handicap? Elderly?Are not as educated and stuck up or bored?

Maybe they are here for support, like we all are not to be judged or corrected, find a new hobby please.

Whoever or. WhomeverPosted Image ( not sure which is correct, Im sure you will correct my paper) was quoting posts and mis spelled words should be ashamed of themselves

MelissaNY

Guru in Training

Posted June 20, 2011 - 10:05 PM

I agree with that response. Really you all have nothing to do but correct people's essay's are we in school. Did you ever think that maybe they didn't get a chance to go to school or just not able to read? Did it ever cross your mind that this is not a debate but a total put down of people. Reading over most of your post I see no capital letters, misspelled words, and no punctuation. Which seems to me that you should take a look in the mirror before you judge others. If you can't read a post then don't read it. Seems there will always be some illiterate people but why don't you all debate about something debateable. Like why people are rude?

Im sure we could win that one =) opps I'm lol

MelissaNY

Guru in Training

Posted June 21, 2011 - 7:04 PM

[quote name='mist' timestamp='1308698686' post='1628891']
Mellissa can you please use capital letters lol
[/quot

SSUURREEE =)

isit5yet

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Nicole Fearing
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2011
  • Starting Weight: 265
  • Weight Lost: 51
  • Current Weight: 214
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 37.9
Posted June 21, 2011 - 9:52 PM

This is why this thread is located under the Rant section and not directed at a particular post, user or hijacking a thread regarding support or information. If someone calls out users on a thread outside of the rant section, and the call out is irrelevant to the thread topic, then I think the quoted comments below are more applicable.

rant all you want, but if you have nothing better then to go through posts and correct them, or grade them, go find a new hobby.

I spell wrong sometimes, im human, im not correct with my paragraphs, but who give a crap!! Im typing fast and cant see

Maybe you should start your own Form called Welcome to Correct Punctuation.

Also did u ever think that maybe people may have a disability? dyslexia? Handicap? Elderly?Are not as educated and stuck up or bored?

Maybe they are here for support, like we all are not to be judged or corrected, find a new hobby please.

Whoever or. WhomeverPosted Image ( not sure which is correct, Im sure you will correct my paper) was quoting posts and mis spelled words should be ashamed of themselves

isit5yet

Expert Member

Posted June 21, 2011 - 10:04 PM

You do realize you did the same thing by stating that others who participated on this thread sound "idiotic," "shallow," and that the post [and its contents] are "stupid?" This English degree holder doesn't need a book to see the hypocrisy here.

I guess the English Lit majors are debating about how stupid this post really was and how shallow they are or maybe they realize they are not perfect spellers either and are reading an English book to brush up on how really culturally myopic they are or maybe they realize how much they sound idiotic by putting people down when in fact they have their own disability its called morbid obesity and maybe its not so nice to make fun of people when a look in the mirror would surfice. :D

lizzy2150

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Adam Smith
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2011
  • Starting Weight: 308
  • Weight Lost: 81
  • Current Weight: 227
  • BMI: 36.6
Posted June 21, 2011 - 10:13 PM

Jachut:

I always LOVE reading your posts. I'm an American with a Ph.D. in British literature, and I enjoy watching the ways in which your language usage differs from (or adheres to) either American or (purely) British idioms.

My favorite one was a post in which you suggested that someone "suck it and see"--a phrase that would probably cause most Americans to do a double-take. (But as I understand it, it's the equivalent of "try it and see what your experience is"--It originally applied to a candy, right?) But that's British AND Australian, yes?

Anyway, hooray for cultural and linguistic diversity. And boo to grammar errors and horrific spelling. :D

Yea, biccies or biscuits - they're cookies, but not humungous ones the size of a car wheel, more the type you buy in the supermarket produced in a factory. A scone is more like what America calls biscuits - I think. I think I was told once that what we call crumpets are English muffins to Americans, whereas I'm not sure what we call an English muffin actually is to an American? I've had grits explained to me a zillion times but I just cant grasp the concept.

Also, talking to my sister in law, who spent a couple of years living in Canada and the US just recently, when people react with horror that we Aussies still eat bread, we're not talking the same thing at all. Think of McDonalds buns, says my SIL and that's bread, its very soft, doughy and slightly sweet whereas what we eat here on a daily basis would be something exotic and continental that you'd have to buy at a bakery - a much more rustic and healthy option. I bought some rolls at Costco recently and had to throw them out, they were truly awful, I dont like any of Costco's bakery products, they're very very different to what we have here. Also, our cappucinos and lattes are not such an indulgence because they're European style and purely espresso and steamed milk. So there's being culturally myopic, which is one thing and there's truly confusion when we use the same words to describe very different things.

But surely everyone knows that anaesthaesia, oesophagos, oestrogen etc are just another way of spelling the same word? Just like grey/gray colour/color etc.

What I *REALLY* hate is the freaking Microsoft dictionary. Now that is culturally myopic, as it only includes the American way of spelling everything.

This is off topic, but it is fascinating how we can be talking about such things, and meaning something entirely different.

isit5yet

Expert Member

Posted June 22, 2011 - 11:34 AM

I guess you didn't really mean this direct quote, right? "I guess the English Lit majors are debating about how stupid this post really was and how shallow they are or maybe they realize they are not perfect spellers either."

Also, how would a psychiatrist help anyone's ready comprehension? If that's the case, may one is needed for those who don't remember the things they type.

I do enjoy the hypocrisy of you directly calling me me "idiotic" (I use quotes to show your exact wording) for putting people down when you did the exact same thing with the name calling against me! Dear Mist, enjoy the mirror. Spending more time in the mirror will mean less trolling on threads to just get a rise out of people. Heal thyself.

Kimberly Collins

Advanced Member

• Surgery Date: May 2005
  • Starting Weight: 268 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 68 lbs
  • Current Weight: 200 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 33.3
Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:14 AM

It annoys me as well. I read a post on here last night that was an entire paragraph with no punctuation or capitalization. It was awful. I also hate when people say "I seen..."

bigenuff

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgery Date: Apr 2012
  • Starting Weight: 327 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 12 lbs
  • Current Weight: 315 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 199 lbs
  • BMI: 50.8
Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Don't forget "are" when it should be "our" !! I recently had this rant on FB.I told people I would start to un friend them if they couldn't spell or use the the proper word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics