Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learn how to spell

I think you may be assuming too much!

I recently posted something about jelly and ice-cream and had at least 1 confused response.

Well, I personally wouldn't know those words she mentioned and I have not seen any of those movies you listed. BTW, I did pass high school literature. So I also think you're assuming too much.

I may be wrong, but I think that anyone who is culturally literate and has at least passed high school literature, which includes English (not American) literature should know these differences. You should not have to "translate". :)

This is the lowest common denominator extreme example, but watching foreign-set movies like Bridget Jones Diary, Notting Hill, Love Actually, or watching any of Gordon Ramsey's shows will key Americans in on the language/cultural differences. That is, if the viewer is paying attention or cares to understand.

I guess I then don't have an explanation for why I retained that info after not knowing anyone in the UK and never traveled there :) I miraculously know what a nappy is, what a lift is, and what 'sod off' means among other things. I still stand firm on the cultural literacy bit; We're pretty myopic in the states when it comes to other cultures.

Well, I personally wouldn't know those words she mentioned and I have not seen any of those movies you listed. BTW, I did pass high school literature. So I also think you're assuming too much.

I gave the two of you who got -1 ratings a + to balance you back to zero. How freaking passive aggressive can someone be to give a negative reputation and not have the balls to debate or reply?

Oh well. I only get upset about the grammatical errors when it's someone complaining about the spelling and grammar in another post as a way to put someone down, and their own post contains a lot of errors. It's tough for me not to type, "ahem, look in the mirror," and then list their faults. Actually, it's not tough for me; I just go on and call them out on it :)

I must admit, I do ignore some posts that are just obnoxiously riddled with errors. That's horrible. Not everyone has access to decent schools, or they may actually have a learning disability. A big reason we see more spelling issues today on things we think are simple (weight vs wait, right vs write) is because schools are teaching Whole Language reading instruction instead of Phonetics. Phonetics takes time and attention to have the student sound out and decipher the words they read. Whole Language is a system of quick recognition to read, which means less emphasis on understanding the linguistics of English and why words and letters make the sounds they make when spoken and look the way they do when written.

couldnt agree more! The Whole Language approach is on the way out here, a lot of schools have moved back to a phonetics based literacy program. I did the THRASS course a year or two back and I can honestly say its the only time in my short teaching career that I've learned more than just airy fairy theory and actually learned something practical - HOW to teach something rather than just crappola about how kids learn etc. Now, I just have to find myself a job in a school that uses THRASS or similar!

Incorrect spelling doesn't annoy me as much as the inability to use paragraphs. If I see a post written as one big long paragraph then I generally give up without reading it as it is just too hard.

Not being American I also spell things differently e.g.

Anaesthesia

Oesophagus

Sometimes I forget to translate from English/Aussie to American

So I will write about biscuits(cookies), jelly(jello) and forget that you have no idea what I am talking about.

Yea, biccies or biscuits - they're Cookies, but not humungous ones the size of a car wheel, more the type you buy in the supermarket produced in a factory. A scone is more like what America calls biscuits - I think. I think I was told once that what we call crumpets are English muffins to Americans, whereas I'm not sure what we call an English muffin actually is to an American? I've had grits explained to me a zillion times but I just cant grasp the concept.

Also, talking to my sister in law, who spent a couple of years living in Canada and the US just recently, when people react with horror that we Aussies still eat bread, we're not talking the same thing at all. Think of McDonalds Buns, says my SIL and that's bread, its very soft, doughy and slightly sweet whereas what we eat here on a daily basis would be something exotic and continental that you'd have to buy at a bakery - a much more rustic and healthy option. I bought some rolls at costco recently and had to throw them out, they were truly awful, I dont like any of Costco's bakery products, they're very very different to what we have here. Also, our cappucinos and lattes are not such an indulgence because they're European style and purely espresso and steamed milk. So there's being culturally myopic, which is one thing and there's truly confusion when we use the same words to describe very different things.

But surely everyone knows that anaesthaesia, oesophagos, oestrogen etc are just another way of spelling the same word? Just like grey/gray colour/color etc.

What I *REALLY* hate is the freaking Microsoft dictionary. Now that is culturally myopic, as it only includes the American way of spelling everything.

This is off topic, but it is fascinating how we can be talking about such things, and meaning something entirely different.

Yea, biccies or biscuits - they're Cookies, but not humungous ones the size of a car wheel, more the type you buy in the supermarket produced in a factory. A scone is more like what America calls biscuits - I think. I think I was told once that what we call crumpets are English muffins to Americans, whereas I'm not sure what we call an English muffin actually is to an American? I've had grits explained to me a zillion times but I just cant grasp the concept.

Also, talking to my sister in law, who spent a couple of years living in Canada and the US just recently, when people react with horror that we Aussies still eat bread, we're not talking the same thing at all. Think of McDonalds Buns, says my SIL and that's bread, its very soft, doughy and slightly sweet whereas what we eat here on a daily basis would be something exotic and continental that you'd have to buy at a bakery - a much more rustic and healthy option. I bought some rolls at costco recently and had to throw them out, they were truly awful, I dont like any of Costco's bakery products, they're very very different to what we have here. Also, our cappucinos and lattes are not such an indulgence because they're European style and purely espresso and steamed milk. So there's being culturally myopic, which is one thing and there's truly confusion when we use the same words to describe very different things.

But surely everyone knows that anaesthaesia, oesophagos, oestrogen etc are just another way of spelling the same word? Just like grey/gray colour/color etc.

What I *REALLY* hate is the freaking Microsoft dictionary. Now that is culturally myopic, as it only includes the American way of spelling everything.

This is off topic, but it is fascinating how we can be talking about such things, and meaning something entirely different.

I had to quote this because I really loved the whole message. You are definitely culturally aware, probably more so, than most Americans are.

Great posts. I agree with everyone, spelling is important. My granddaughter is getting out of kindergarten in 4 days. They have not expressed spelling this year, just writing skills. I believe, next year, her school will work on spelling along with the writing skills.

Keep up, I have enjoyed this discussion. Karen

rant all you want, but if you have nothing better then to go through posts and correct them, or grade them, go find a new hobby.

I spell wrong sometimes, im human, im not correct with my paragraphs, but who give a crap!! Im typing fast and cant see

Maybe you should start your own Form called Welcome to Correct Punctuation.

Also did u ever think that maybe people may have a disability? dyslexia? Handicap? Elderly?Are not as educated and stuck up or bored?

Maybe they are here for support, like we all are not to be judged or corrected, find a new hobby please.

Whoever or. Whomevercxcp-Thread-tr.jpeg ( not sure which is correct, Im sure you will correct my paper) was quoting posts and mis spelled words should be ashamed of themselves

I agree with that response. Really you all have nothing to do but correct people's essay's are we in school. Did you ever think that maybe they didn't get a chance to go to school or just not able to read? Did it ever cross your mind that this is not a debate but a total put down of people. Reading over most of your post I see no capital letters, misspelled words, and no punctuation. Which seems to me that you should take a look in the mirror before you judge others. If you can't read a post then don't read it. Seems there will always be some illiterate people but why don't you all debate about something debateable. Like why people are rude?

Im sure we could win that one =) opps I'm lol

Mellissa can you please use capital letters lol

[/quot

SSUURREEE =)

This is why this thread is located under the Rant section and not directed at a particular post, user or hijacking a thread regarding support or information. If someone calls out users on a thread outside of the rant section, and the call out is irrelevant to the thread topic, then I think the quoted comments below are more applicable.

rant all you want, but if you have nothing better then to go through posts and correct them, or grade them, go find a new hobby.

I spell wrong sometimes, im human, im not correct with my paragraphs, but who give a crap!! Im typing fast and cant see

Maybe you should start your own Form called Welcome to Correct Punctuation.

Also did u ever think that maybe people may have a disability? dyslexia? Handicap? Elderly?Are not as educated and stuck up or bored?

Maybe they are here for support, like we all are not to be judged or corrected, find a new hobby please.

Whoever or. Whomevercxcp-Thread-tr.jpeg ( not sure which is correct, Im sure you will correct my paper) was quoting posts and mis spelled words should be ashamed of themselves

You do realize you did the same thing by stating that others who participated on this thread sound "idiotic," "shallow," and that the post [and its contents] are "stupid?" This English degree holder doesn't need a book to see the hypocrisy here.

I guess the English Lit majors are debating about how stupid this post really was and how shallow they are or maybe they realize they are not perfect spellers either and are reading an English book to brush up on how really culturally myopic they are or maybe they realize how much they sound idiotic by putting people down when in fact they have their own disability its called morbid obesity and maybe its not so nice to make fun of people when a look in the mirror would surfice. :D

Jachut:

I always LOVE reading your posts. I'm an American with a Ph.D. in British literature, and I enjoy watching the ways in which your language usage differs from (or adheres to) either American or (purely) British idioms.

My favorite one was a post in which you suggested that someone "suck it and see"--a phrase that would probably cause most Americans to do a double-take. (But as I understand it, it's the equivalent of "try it and see what your experience is"--It originally applied to a candy, right?) But that's British AND Australian, yes?

Anyway, hooray for cultural and linguistic diversity. And boo to grammar errors and horrific spelling. :D

I guess you didn't really mean this direct quote, right? "I guess the English Lit majors are debating about how stupid this post really was and how shallow they are or maybe they realize they are not perfect spellers either."

Also, how would a psychiatrist help anyone's ready comprehension? If that's the case, may one is needed for those who don't remember the things they type.

I do enjoy the hypocrisy of you directly calling me me "idiotic" (I use quotes to show your exact wording) for putting people down when you did the exact same thing with the name calling against me! Dear Mist, enjoy the mirror. Spending more time in the mirror will mean less trolling on threads to just get a rise out of people. Heal thyself.

It annoys me as well. I read a post on here last night that was an entire paragraph with no punctuation or capitalization. It was awful. I also hate when people say "I seen..."

Don't forget "are" when it should be "our" !! I recently had this rant on FB.I told people I would start to un friend them if they couldn't spell or use the the proper word.