Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learn how to spell

So I'm sure we have all misspelled things here and there and that is not a big deal. But I'm getting a little irritated trying to read through some of these posts that people can't use the correct spelling or even near proper grammar! There is spell-check on the computer for you, use it if you're that bad at it! I have stopped responding to some posts that have decent questions because I want to tell them to go back to school and get it right! I don't take people very seriously when they can't type a sentence. To clarify more not talking about using little words like lol, lmao, btw etc. I'm talking about spelling & grammatical errors. These are not some of the larger, harder to spell words such as anesthesia either, these are simple every day words!

Is anyone else bothered by this?? I hope I'm not the only one! (Once again, typos are common…but a few things I've noticed on here tonight I'll list…I even used it in a small sentence!

Right spelled Wright….(…eating the right way…)

Right spelled Rite…(…eating the right way…)

Weigh spelled Way…(… I weigh myself…)

Weight spelled Wait…(…my weight this morning was…)

Losing spelled Loseing…(…I've been losing lots of weight…)

You're spelled Your…(…you're over thinking this…)

Waste spelled Waist…(…why waste your time…)

Ok I'm just going to stop there, I'm sure you get the point.

:lol:That drives me crazy too!!!!

Although I'm so used to my iPhone auto-correcting my errors that sometimes I forget to check when I'm on the computer!!!!! Too bad it's not an automatic feature on LBT!!!!! LOL

So I'm sure we have all misspelled things here and there and that is not a big deal. But I'm getting a little irritated trying to read through some of these posts that people can't use the correct spelling or even near proper grammar! There is spell-check on the computer for you, use it if you're that bad at it! I have stopped responding to some posts that have decent questions because I want to tell them to go back to school and get it right! I don't take people very seriously when they can't type a sentence. To clarify more not talking about using little words like lol, lmao, btw etc. I'm talking about spelling & grammatical errors. These are not some of the larger, harder to spell words such as anesthesia either, these are simple every day words!

Is anyone else bothered by this?? I hope I'm not the only one! (Once again, typos are common…but a few things I've noticed on here tonight I'll list…I even used it in a small sentence!

Welcome to the intrawebz. ;)

I ditto that!!! Basic spelling and math are essential, and nothing makes you look more like an idiot that spelling and grammar errors.

Oh yeah, while we're at it ALL CAPS is not cool either. It is not easy on the eyes, contrary to some people's thought process.

I've only been lurking here a few weeks, but was starting to think that lapbands either made you lazy about communicating or stupid.. It is hard to read some of the posts on this site...... Many posts go far beyond text messaging shortcuts, etc.

I am sooooo glad you posted this!!!! I can hardly read some of these posts without getting mad. It is like fingernails on a chalkboard!! :angry:

Lol, the Americanisms drive me nuts! Like saying you survive on cheetos, you guys would say "I live off of cheetos". You dont need the of in there, you just say "I live off cheetos". That one drives me insane. I also spell grey, colour, favour, neighbour, whereas you guys would say gray, color, favor, neighbor. Ok, so these arent errors, they're differences in expression, I realise that.

Haha like the above person said - no big deal, I understand those aren't spelling errors! It's just the flat out errors.

I also like how I got a negative rating....must be from one of the people that can't spell! I thought this was the rant and rave section and I didn't point out the names of those people. :rolleyes:

I also spell grey, colour, favour, neighbour, whereas you guys would say gray, color, favor, neighbor. Ok, so these arent errors, they're differences in expression, I realise that.

I gave the two of you who got -1 ratings a + to balance you back to zero. How freaking passive aggressive can someone be to give a negative reputation and not have the balls to debate or reply?

Oh well. I only get upset about the grammatical errors when it's someone complaining about the spelling and grammar in another post as a way to put someone down, and their own post contains a lot of errors. It's tough for me not to type, "ahem, look in the mirror," and then list their faults. Actually, it's not tough for me; I just go on and call them out on it :)

I must admit, I do ignore some posts that are just obnoxiously riddled with errors. That's horrible. Not everyone has access to decent schools, or they may actually have a learning disability. A big reason we see more spelling issues today on things we think are simple (weight vs wait, right vs write) is because schools are teaching Whole Language reading instruction instead of Phonetics. Phonetics takes time and attention to have the student sound out and decipher the words they read. Whole Language is a system of quick recognition to read, which means less emphasis on understanding the linguistics of English and why words and letters make the sounds they make when spoken and look the way they do when written.

Oh boy don't get me started on the educational system!!! As a result of this new way of teaching, kids are coming out of high school and they can't spell, nor can they do basic math although they are "A" students.

I'm watching kid #3 try to figure out algebra and geometry when they still haven't spent much time on times tables. This "home link" crap they call it. Teach em something different every single day, result they never really master the subject which is apparent when they try to get basic office or cashier jobs -- or type on a forum!!!

I gave the two of you who got -1 ratings a + to balance you back to zero. How freaking passive aggressive can someone be to give a negative reputation and not have the balls to debate or reply?

Oh well. I only get upset about the grammatical errors when it's someone complaining about the spelling and grammar in another post as a way to put someone down, and their own post contains a lot of errors. It's tough for me not to type, "ahem, look in the mirror," and then list their faults. Actually, it's not tough for me; I just go on and call them out on it :)

I must admit, I do ignore some posts that are just obnoxiously riddled with errors. That's horrible. Not everyone has access to decent schools, or they may actually have a learning disability. A big reason we see more spelling issues today on things we think are simple (weight vs wait, right vs write) is because schools are teaching Whole Language reading instruction instead of Phonetics. Phonetics takes time and attention to have the student sound out and decipher the words they read. Whole Language is a system of quick recognition to read, which means less emphasis on understanding the linguistics of English and why words and letters make the sounds they make when spoken and look the way they do when written.

Thanks for the positive :) Like I said in my previous post, it's not a simple typo that bothers me, it's the people that just can't spell or the people that write like a teenager (Whatz up...) that kind of thing. That drives me crazy! The education system is something I won't go into...I think kids these days are not being taught properly, spelling OR manners! Parents aren't taking the responsibility for kids that they need to either. So I'll just stop there before I get fired up. (I'm not even that old to be saying "these days", I'm 23)

Incorrect spelling doesn't annoy me as much as the inability to use paragraphs. If I see a post written as one big long paragraph then I generally give up without reading it as it is just too hard.

Not being American I also spell things differently e.g.

Anaesthesia

Oesophagus

Sometimes I forget to translate from English/Aussie to American

So I will write about biscuits(cookies), jelly(jello) and forget that you have no idea what I am talking about.

I also hate it when people say one half of one percent! Why can't they just say half a percent - it means the same thing.

I may be wrong, but I think that anyone who is culturally literate and has at least passed high school literature, which includes English (not American) literature should know these differences. You should not have to "translate". :)

This is the lowest common denominator extreme example, but watching foreign-set movies like Bridget Jones Diary, Notting Hill, Love Actually, or watching any of Gordon Ramsey's shows will key Americans in on the language/cultural differences. That is, if the viewer is paying attention or cares to understand.

Incorrect spelling doesn't annoy me as much as the inability to use paragraphs. If I see a post written as one big long paragraph then I generally give up without reading it as it is just too hard.

Not being American I also spell things differently e.g.

Anaesthesia

Oesophagus

Sometimes I forget to translate from English/Aussie to American

So I will write about biscuits(cookies), jelly(jello) and forget that you have no idea what I am talking about.