Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the lap band really work????

This thread has left me to reconsider my decision to have this procedure performed because there doesn't seem to be enough feedback from those who've lived longer with the lap band. The majority of the posts/comments tend to be from bandees who only had this performed under 5 years time. I'd like to hear from the veterans so to speak. To see both sides of the spectrum is VERY eye-opening as I'm seriously contemplating this procedure myself. I know that this may not work for everyone but the fact that down the line complications can arise and my insurance won't cover a removal? Scary! unsure.gif

Hi I am not banded yet and have been researching the band for over a year. Probably too much. I have read some discouraging things about the band as well as some good things. Some bandsters on this site that are not happy with their band say it is all about will power.......and receive no restriction whatsoever from their band. this is quite discouraging as I have never had will power to lose weight and need help. That is why I am chosing to go thru surgery for this. Does the band really help you lose the weight? Also, would you do it again knowing what you know now? Sorry for the negatives but I am nervous about my decision. As you all know it is not an easy one. thank you for your honest replys.

Hi - can you please post the source for this RESULTS data that you posted as I'm planning to attend my first seminar this Saturday and would like to present the findings to the seminar team and be able to at least name the source from where it came. Just this alone would make me not want to go through with the procedure because it sounds like there's almost an "expiration date" for the band, tubing and/or port. My insurance will not cover a removal. This is something to think about as I'm only 40 and I'd like to think that the likelihood of this band lasting would be much longer than say 5-10 years, you know... *much to contemplate EVEN more! But I sure do appreciate you posting this. Thank you!

As I said in my earlier post, what I needed was a tool to help me to feel fuller quicker. I was told BY THE MD that this was the tool to do that. Also as I said in my post earlier, I won't eat if I feel full. I hope this answers your question and if not, here is some food for thought:

RESULTS: Between June 1997 and June 2003, LGB was performed in 317 patients, 43 men and 274 women. Mean age was 38 years (19-69), mean weight was 119 kg (79-179), and mean BMI was 43.5 kg/m(2) (34-78). 97.8% of the patients were available for follow-up after 3 years, 88.2% after 5 years, and 81.5% after 7 years. Overall, 105 (33.1%) of the patients developed late complications, including band erosion in 9.5%, pouch dilatation/slippage in 6.3%, and catheter- or port-related problems in 7.6%. Major reoperation was required in 21.7% of the patients. The mean EWL at 5 years was 58.5% in patients with the band still in place. The failure rate increased from 13.2% after 18 months to 23.8% at 3, 31.5% at 5, and 36.9% at 7 years. CONCLUSIONS: LGB appeared promising during the first few years after its introduction, but results worsen over time, despite improvements in the operative technique and material. Only about 60% of the patients without major complication maintain an acceptable EWL in the long term. Each year adds 3-4% to the major complication rate, which contributes to the total failure rate. With a nearly 40% 5-year failure rate, and a 43% 7-year success rate (EWL >50%), LGB should no longer be considered as the procedure of choice for obesity. Until reliable selection criteria for patients at low risk for long-term complications are developed, other longer lasting procedures should be used.

Here are my thoughts... I'm not banded either. I have been trying to decide between lapband or gastric.

I have PCOS polycystic ovarian syndrome

I can diet and eat small meals and eat Protein snax not to slow my metabolism and exercise. And lose nothing or a half pound. Some women don't even know they have pcos, but it affects metabolism. I have been researching and finding that lapband is a tool that can help. But it does not curb hunger. However when u have gastric a hormone is released in the brain because u bypass the large intestine that tells the brain it's not hungry. This comes from my Dr and My nutritionist. Good luck and thanks for your posts!!!!

Hi. I actually copied and pasted it from on here from a post. I would think that you can google either articles or Stat on the lapband and find it. I hope this helps.

Hi - can you please post the source for this RESULTS data that you posted as I'm planning to attend my first seminar this Saturday and would like to present the findings to the seminar team and be able to at least name the source from where it came. Just this alone would make me not want to go through with the procedure because it sounds like there's almost an "expiration date" for the band, tubing and/or port. My insurance will not cover a removal. This is something to think about as I'm only 40 and I'd like to think that the likelihood of this band lasting would be much longer than say 5-10 years, you know... *much to contemplate EVEN more! But I sure do appreciate you posting this. Thank you!

Sorry it hasnt worked out for you but if you believe as you state, "Some people can starve themselves and not lose weight" you are always doomed to fail. Take a look at people who are truly calorie-deficient (Africa, concentration camps etc - no fatties!) I always thought I was starving and not losing weight and then I got my band - when restriction was good and I could not eat as much I lost weight...simple as that. That's what the band does, but what I have to do is not eat the stuff that slides through like ice cream or chocolate. If I ate those all day I know my band would 'let me' gain 100 pounds!

Mauraclegg really?????? Let me enlighten you about the band. It DOES NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE. Although some have success some do not. It is not always about what everyone is eating or doing. SOME PEOPLE JUST DO NOT LOSE WEIGHT WITH THE BAND and need an alternative. Some people can starve themselves and never lose weight. Most people with the band only lose 40% of their initial weight those that lose more are just lucky. Yes the band is a tool and yes you have to work with it but I do believe that there are people who do not lose through any fault of their own. If everything worked perfectly in life we would not have cancer, hiv, high blood pressure, diabetes, or any other disease there is because everyones treatment would work and they would be cured. Unfortunately there are those people who get weight loss surgery, stick to it perfectly and never lose an ounce.

Hi there. I am about to have the band and plication surgery. I will tell you that the feeling of never being full is an issue that was created by our society's excessive use of carbs. My doctor has recommended a book :Why we get fat" which explains a lot of this. I am still being banded but hope to use it as a tool to assist with the process.

Thank you all for your honest replies. I only hope that I can be as successful as you have all been. I know it takes hard work to lose weight but maybe with the help of the band I can do this too.

I am scheduled 8/11 and glad to also hear the results. That is what the site is for cat lady so keep asking questions , thats the only way we get answers.

hello everyone.. this topic has been interesting to read. I am not banded but i am really considering it. of course there is always the fear from complications. but then again if i dont try to go through with it, another disease might be the cause of my obesity. ive read all the scary stuff, but im still determined to do it. I've never been excited about being thin and being healthy. now with lap band i have hope..wishful thinking i should say.. whatever happens, it'll leave it up to God. :) Let's all pray about it. tomorrow I will be making an appointment for my consultation! :)

hello everyone.. this topic has been interesting to read. I am not banded but i am really considering it. of course there is always the fear from complications. but then again if i dont try to go through with it, another disease might be the cause of my obesity. ive read all the scary stuff, but im still determined to do it. I've never been excited about being thin and being healthy. now with lap band i have hope..wishful thinking i should say.. whatever happens, it'll leave it up to God. :) Let's all pray about it. tomorrow I will be making an appointment for my consultation! :)

Good luck with your appointment and the banding, I have mine isn aug and am both scared and happy about it. I started a post about those that have had it done for more than 5 years and have already gotten responses.. That will help me

Yes, it HELPS you lose weight, but it doesn't do the work for you. YOU still choose what, and how much, you put in your mouth. Once a band gets filled to a good spot it'll help you feel satisfied quickly and for some people, it'll stop them from overeating. Other people quickly learn to "eat around the band" and don't lose weight.

It's not a miracle cure, it doesn't do the work for you. As you'll hear a million times, it's a tool!

I like your ticker.cool :D

Hi I am not banded yet and have been researching the band for over a year. Probably too much. I have read some discouraging things about the band as well as some good things. Some bandsters on this site that are not happy with their band say it is all about will power.......and receive no restriction whatsoever from their band. this is quite discouraging as I have never had will power to lose weight and need help. That is why I am chosing to go thru surgery for this. Does the band really help you lose the weight? Also, would you do it again knowing what you know now? Sorry for the negatives but I am nervous about my decision. As you all know it is not an easy one. thank you for your honest replys.

I have had no will power in the past. And yes the band is a tool. but if I can do it,YOU 'can'. the band tells me when I am full - yes it will. Once you get a fill or two, you understand how it works. It's great and I wished I would have done it sooner. You won't regret getting the band. I've lost a little over 60 lbs. in a year and everyone tells me I look fantastic. I still have about 50 lbs. I want to loose, but I'm confident I can do so. Good luck on your decision and let us know your outcome.

Sometimes the band can be too tight and cause eating issues as well. I wouldn;t give up until the doctor gets to the bottom of it and finds your sweet spot. OR You could get a defill for a while and try again in a few months.

I have not been banded yet, I have mead my decision to do it and have received insurance approval but what is foaming, sliming and anything else that sonda very unplesent

I am scheduled to have lapband in 2 days and feeling completely paniced. I ahve been on every diet under the sun, from phen/phen to HGC. All with the same results, I lost weight then gained back the weight and then some. Lately I have been feeling so tired, defeated and helpless. Rather than giving up I decided to look into lapband, Now just a few days away I am feeling a little selfish, guilty and worried about something going wrong during the surgery. The selfish part has a lot to do wit the expense, as I am paying for it in full (insurance wont pay) and I am worried about what I might be putting my family through. Any words of wisdom out there?

Claire

I was banded over a year ago and my best advice would be to ready your MIND for weight loss as well as your bod.