Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the lap band really work????

Hi I am not banded yet and have been researching the band for over a year. Probably too much. I have read some discouraging things about the band as well as some good things. Some bandsters on this site that are not happy with their band say it is all about will power.......and receive no restriction whatsoever from their band. this is quite discouraging as I have never had will power to lose weight and need help. That is why I am chosing to go thru surgery for this. Does the band really help you lose the weight? Also, would you do it again knowing what you know now? Sorry for the negatives but I am nervous about my decision. As you all know it is not an easy one. thank you for your honest replys.

Hi I am not banded yet and have been researching the band for over a year. Probably too much. I have read some discouraging things about the band as well as some good things. Some bandsters on this site that are not happy with their band say it is all about will power.......and receive no restriction whatsoever from their band. this is quite discouraging as I have never had will power to lose weight and need help. That is why I am chosing to go thru surgery for this. Does the band really help you lose the weight? Also, would you do it again knowing what you know now? Sorry for the negatives but I am nervous about my decision. As you all know it is not an easy one. thank you for your honest replys.

I've been over weight since I was about 4 years old. I never had the will power to lose it and keep it off. The band is a tool and only works as well as what you put in to it, but yes....it helps. I never would have been able to lose and maintain without it. When I decided to do it, I never expected the success that I've had. I even refused to set a goal in the beginning because I didn't want to set myself up for failure. I would have been happy to be able to climb a flight of steps without getting winded. I went to my doctor religiously every 4 weeks whether I thought I needed a fill or not. He is very supportive as is his staff. That really helped too. Now here I am 3 years later, down 145 lbs from a size 26-28 to a 13. I was 48 years old when I had my surgery and if I knew then what I know now, I would have done it years earlier!

I wish you all the luck in the world. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you. If you decide to have the surgery, listen to your doctor and do everything he tells you to do, even if you disagree with it.

Yes, it HELPS you lose weight, but it doesn't do the work for you. YOU still choose what, and how much, you put in your mouth. Once a band gets filled to a good spot it'll help you feel satisfied quickly and for some people, it'll stop them from overeating. Other people quickly learn to "eat around the band" and don't lose weight.

It's not a miracle cure, it doesn't do the work for you. As you'll hear a million times, it's a tool!

The band is definately a tool. The band helps but you do the work. I was 275 lbs and I am not 126 and have stayed steady at 123-126 for about 8 months now. It is a total life change. I had Fluid removed from my band and have been empty and still able to maintain. The band assisted me as I learned to eat differently and moticated myself to become more healthy. I love my band and feel that it definately helped me to where I am but I did the work. I find myself many times while in the grocery store I will pick up something that "sounds good" that isnt healthy and then while doing my grocery shopping for healthy meals I think to myself I do not need the stuff that sounds good and it has --calories and -- fat and I rarely walk out of the store with the extra. It ends up back on the shelf.

It won't do the work for you; it takes willpower (sorry, but it does) and it takes knowing how to work WITH the band. You won't get banded and drop the weight in the snap of a finger. Instead it's up to you to count your calories, understand your new sense of being "full" (satisfied is more like it), exercising, eating a diet consisting of mainly whole foods, etc etc.

The band does help but ultimately your journey is in your own hands, IMO.

In my case the band keeps me full and gave me the motivation I needed to get off my @$$ and workout; I do so for a good hour+ each day and I love it. I wouldn't trade my band for the world as it's really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I'm a rare case but I've lost 115lbs without needing a fill.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Cat Lady,

I have absolutely 0 willpower and I have managed to lose 40 lbs in 3 and 1/2 months with my band! Even if I never lose another pound it has been worth it for me! The band helps me keep my portions in check and completely dissolves my hunger between meals! Now, It doesn't take away any of my head hunger, but at least for me, I have been too full to actually sit and snack when I feel "snacky". I have said to my husband "I really want to just sit and eat. But I'm not hungry...I'm actually full!" That alone has been a revelation for me.

I still occasionally have Ice cream and potato chips. But now I can eat one serving without polishing off the whole carton or the entire bag. I go to the gym every single day (5 days a week) for an hour or more and do my cardio. The results actually make me want to do more and work harder, whereas before my band I would get discouraged after a few months and quit. I love my band -- it is a tool and it WILL work for you. As long as you give it some effort, your band will do it's job. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Does the band really help you lose the weight?

Also, would you do it again knowing what you know now?

Yes and YES

We all have different reason for why we got fat. Mine - I ate a lot. Good, healthy, organic foods but buckets and buckets ... nonstop. And calorie is a calorie is a calorie and they do add up.

What and how band works for me might not be same for you.

It is not all about restriction. Correct placement of the band presses on nerves that run to the brain and scream HUNGRYYY

I named my band - WILPOW (will power :-). I lost the uncontrollable hunger and gain ... I guess you can call it will power.

I am 12 weeks out and loosing 1.9lb a week with no fills.

I am so glad you posted this. I just made the call today and scheduled an appointment, then got scared. ugh!!!

Thank you all for your honest replies. I only hope that I can be as successful as you have all been. I know it takes hard work to lose weight but maybe with the help of the band I can do this too.

The band is not a magic wand that will melt the pounds away. What I think the band does is allow me to eat a healthy portion of food. Can I still eat chocolate? You bet your ass I can, but now rather than a king sized bar I happy with a couple of minis. Could I have lost over 80 lbs in less than a year without my band? Absolutely not!! Nothing is perfect though- I can eat "bad" things, but in moderation. Like 1/2 a dinner roll rather than 3. People always find fault with what isn't working for them - perhaps they aren't using their band to it's potential/ not letting it help them. It is one of the best things to happen to me

I hate to be the downer here but when you do all your research, make sure you look into foaming, sliming and getting stuck, all those things are issues that CAN happen and I wish my DR had been honest with me, instead of telling me, :"Maybe, but hardly ever"..... Be prepared, Im not saying YOU WILL but to know you MIGHT.

200 lbs gone in 2 years. No, the band doesn't work. I work the band.

If you and your doctor agree you're a good candidate for banding, then yes, it'll be a great tool. You aren't off the hook, though. It's all about how you use it. Just as a saw will cut wood, the way the workman uses the saw can make all the difference. The band is just the same. Listen to your body, learn how your band works, and then work it to your best advantage. It can be a great helper in your weight loss, but it is not a magic bullet.

@Jeepygurl: If you are having such issues as getting stuck and sliming so often that you feel you should have been warned about it, you may want to look closer at how you're eating, or talk to your doctor about physical issues with your band or fill level. The ONLY times I ever get stuck and start sliming is when I'm eating too fast, not chewing properly, or swallowing too large of a bite. If I slow down, chew better, and take smaller bites, there is no getting stuck, and I can eat anything I want.

Dave

I've been over weight since I was about 4 years old. I never had the will power to lose it and keep it off. The band is a tool and only works as well as what you put in to it, but yes....it helps. I never would have been able to lose and maintain without it. When I decided to do it, I never expected the success that I've had. I even refused to set a goal in the beginning because I didn't want to set myself up for failure. I would have been happy to be able to climb a flight of steps without getting winded. I went to my doctor religiously every 4 weeks whether I thought I needed a fill or not. He is very supportive as is his staff. That really helped too. Now here I am 3 years later, down 145 lbs from a size 26-28 to a 13. I was 48 years old when I had my surgery and if I knew then what I know now, I would have done it years earlier!

I wish you all the luck in the world. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you. If you decide to have the surgery, listen to your doctor and do everything he tells you to do, even if you disagree with it.

Hi I too wish you and others all the luck in the world. I had my Lap Band in 6 years ago only lost 30 KGs and started having trouble I had to have it taken out 5 years on and this week another 18 months later have had major surgery to rectify what the lap band had damaged. I developed major Reflux, a hiatus hernia shich protruded into my diaphragm and attached itsself to myheart, liver, and lungs. just be aware these things can happen.