Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pain/swelling on left side under ribs. help?

Hey guys, possibly i'm being silly here so forgive me if i sound it :S

I was banded 3 weeks ago and was relativly pain-free except for the standard aching around the incisions. About a week ago all the usual aches went away and I guessed I was healing well and normally.

But a few days ago i began to notice some swelling and discomfort on my left side and just under my ribs. I believe this is above my port site and in the surrounding area of my spleen.

It is uncomfortable in pretty much any and all movement, including breathing deeply. It's not 'painful' but it is very uncomfortable and pushing in gently on the area feels like it is harder than the other side.

There is no external bruising i can see and I've not been sick, no fevers, no headaches etc.

I guess I'm a bit concerned because during my op i had what my surgeon called 'sticky spleen' where my spleen was stuck to my stomach and they had to 'peel' it off, leaving my spleen bleeding. My surgeon put what I think he called 'hydrostat' bandaging on the area and said it would prevent further bleeding and be naturally absorbed into my body and every time i've had a check up since I've been fine. Except a week or so ago when I was unfortunate enough to get a mild chest infection and my doctor said there was a slight chance i was aneamic but ironically i was too faint to take a blood test as he just could not get to a vein.

Aside from that I've felt fine. If i had to reach for something I'd say I'd been sleeping a bit more than is normal for me.

I'll call my clinic in the morning anyway but i'd love to know if this is normal and if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks guys

Hi-

Your post caught my attention in that I was in SEVERE pain immediately following surgey under my left ribs. I thought it was gas/inflammation, so I walked often, took my prescribed pain meds and slept in the recliner. Day two of post op had me going to the ER the pain was so excruciating. No conclusion, more pain, more pain meds and another ER visit and the only conclusion that my surgeon could draw was that the instrument they use to lift the liver up "possibly tore the cartilage in my ribs". I am 3 months post surgery and while the pain has subsided it is still evident and seems to be more centered around my port site, May or may not help, but thought I would throw it out there. The office has gotten so busy they have lost sight of customer (patient) service and I am completely frustrated with it. There were several other problems I encountered, mostly with billing as I am a cash patient. I would consider another surgeon next time.

Surgery: 3/11/11

Weight Loss Institute of AZ

Dr. John DeBarros

I had that same pain. They told me it was normal. The port and everything was settling in. I too couldnt take deep breath. Doc said nuthin to worry about. Think it went away after few weeks. Your insides have been through trauma. Everything has to settle back in place. Can't remember when it exactly stopped. I was banded 9 months ago. Just continue monitor yout symptoms. I was hypervigolent about every little twinge.

i have a similar sore spot and it is on my left side by my rib cage. I have no external bruising. the weird thing is it comes and goes. sometimes so painful i can barely move my arm and others i dont even notice it. my surgeon thinks it was a way i was positioned on the table during surgery. i feel like something was bruised. i will continue to montior it and if it doesnt get better they need to investigate!:huh:

I was banded 5/23 and I also get a quick sharp sudden pain in my left side under my ribs. I've relatively had no problems just basic incision pain. Till this AM and I woke up with this sharp pain and have had all day. I thought it was gas. I hope that's it.

Sounds like it could be. Just monitor it. You get all sorts of weird aches and pains in the stomach, rib and chest area. If it doesnt feel right or is unbearable check with doc. This band takes some getting used too, but you'll love it and at the same time hate it. Ive been banded for 8 1/2 months

I was banded 5/23 and I also get a quick sharp sudden pain in my left side under my ribs. I've relatively had no problems just basic incision pain. Till this AM and I woke up with this sharp pain and have had all day. I thought it was gas. I hope that's it.

Thanks for the reply neenee! I will definitely be mindful of it. But I'm so happy I took this step, and I'm on my way.

i too had sharp pains at my port site. it felt at times like a hot knife going in my side. i was assured that it was just my port healing and that since mine was attached with the self clamping, that recovery would take a few more days. i am now 13 days out from surgery and though it is still tender, i have not had a stabbing pain in over 24 hours. i wish you the best of luck on your journey...God bless!!!!

I am on vacation (ok'd by my surgeon) and am 16 days post op. I felt better when i came home from hosp. I am having horrible pain and swelling in my left side. Nothing has happened to cause this. Today my sister in law had to wheelchair me out of a store because it hurt so bad to walk and i felt really week. The rest is going good. I do wish I understood the eating part at this phase but am limping along. dont think i am getting enough Protein and dont know how with what i am suppose to eat. I like my surgeon and his staff, but i think they take for granted that i know more then i do. He said i am over thinking the diet. Also, I am still on several meds that cant be crushed and when I take them I feel sick and they sometimes get "caught". I am avoiding taking them and have cut down to everyother day. I wish I could stop them all together. anyone else having this problem?

in pain and confused