Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had problems with malnutrition?

Hello, All. Has anyone had problems with malnutrition? I’m concerned as I have a condition similar to hypoglycemia (but not hypoglycemia exactly), which causes me to “crash” if I’ve not eaten. Does anyone know how the Lap Band will affect this? Also, is the pre and post-op liquid diet likely to cause me to crash, even if I am getting lots of Protein? I worry about this specifically because when I was a teenager and on an Optifast liquid diet, I fainted for lack of calories (and really gave myself a nasty crack to the head). So, crashing is something to which I’m prone and of which I am fearful, given the relative permanence of this procedure.

Certainly, I’ll ask my surgeon about this, but I thought I’d check with you guys first since you guys have actually had the surgery.

Sorry for the number of questions, but I’m on track to have my consultation(s) and because I’m a self-pay will have a surgery date sooner rather than later. I’ve been searching this site (and thankful that it and you guys are here!) and have found most all the answers I was seeking. These are some of the last ones. Thanks in advance, guys!

Shine,

Coco

Hi Coco,

If you have a medical condition that you know will have to be managed, your might want to consult not only your surgeon but also your regular doctor. Your surgeon might not be the most knowledgeable source of nutrition info.

All banding does is make you eat less. So we all, but I guess you in particular, will have to eat smarter. During the liquid phase post-op you're not worrying about calories, so feel free to load up on whatever supplements you need to feel healthy. Fainting is NOT good. When you start on solid foods you might just want to continue supplementing until you get the hang of it and see how your body does.

I haven't heard of any bandsters actually suffering from malnutrition. There's no reason why we would. Poor nutrition, though, is a risk everyone runs who doesn't eat a balanced diet (and really, who does all the time?). Bandsters are evaluated (or should be, anyway) regularly for nutrient levels so any shortfalls can be addressed. At my one-year anniversary my doc found I was on the low side for B-Vitamins, and so added a supplement. I wouldn't imagine you'd need to do anything more than regular evaluation and adjusting your intake to suit.

I actually take meds for insulin sensitivity so I sometimes hit hypoglycemic lows. The greatest thing about banding for me has been the fact that without eating so many carbs (i cant handle bread or fries,etc now) that I have been very stable. My prescribed diet, protiens and veggies is FOR ONCE enough to keep me full and satisfied so I can control those fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Malnutrition is not a problem with banding.

I've had a few mornings of lows and one episode of fainting, but its all been my slackness (ie, not eating in the morning then rushing around like a chicken with my head cut off).

Definitely speak with both your GP and your surgeon regarding any concerns you may have, but from my experience(s), its very managable.

Dear All, I feel better and will definitely talk to both my doctor and surgeon before proceeding. Thanks so much for your wisdom.

Hope one and all are well!

Best,

Coco