Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Why no Carbonated drinks?

Views
Started by jbaker5d, Apr 28, 2011 2:52 PM
7 replies to this topic
7 replies to this topic

jbaker5d

Intermediate Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted April 28, 2011 - 2:52 PM

I'm just wondering, why do the dr's say you won't be able to drink carbonated drinks with the band. I don't seem to be too bothered by it at all. Just curious.

bayougirlmrsc

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgery Date: Nov 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • My Blogs
Posted April 28, 2011 - 3:00 PM

I'm just wondering, why do the dr's say you won't be able to drink carbonated drinks with the band. I don't seem to be too bothered by it at all. Just curious.

You shouldn't ..... not can't. I have to admit.. I still do drink carb drinks. Less than one a day. Now I can't eat and drink them at the same time. I have to wait at least an hour after i eat to take even one sip.

sounds like you just got banded. Once you get more fills..... it will be harder and harder.

MarcyLoo

Junior Guru

Posted April 28, 2011 - 3:14 PM

The carbonation can cause your smaller stomach pouch (above the band) to stretch out. Carbonated drinks like Coke that are not diet are also high in high fructose corn syrup, which is just really bad when it comes to weight loss. Diet sodas also cause an increase in appetite if I recall correctly. Non-diet sodas made form sugar vs corn syrup are also bad because of the ntural sugar being a carbohydrate, which is not advised for the lab band diet.

It doesn't mean you can never have a carbonated drink again. Just drink them in moderation (if I have one I limit it to maybe 2-3 ounces sipped slowly) and be aware that it's an indulgence you're partaking in knowingly (which is ok)

HTH

JerseyGirl80

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: Ajay Goyal
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Starting Weight: 309
  • Weight Lost: 75
  • Current Weight: 234
  • Goal Weight: 170
  • BMI: 36.6
Posted April 28, 2011 - 3:18 PM

My doc didn't say not to but didn't recommend it either. The nutrionist said if I want to drink soda to wait for it to go a little flat first. I have no problems with carbonated beverages, I certainly can't guzzle them down like before or drink them real fast as soon as I pop open a can but I can still enjoy them within reason. BTW, I only drink sugar free things, "don't drink your calories"

I guess some Doc's are very against it because it can cause pain for some people, it may cause some stretching and hurt the stomach if taken in too fast. I can't drink really fizzy things with food, it hurts and will come back up. Doc's probably just want patients to avoid that all together.

jbaker5d

Intermediate Member

Posted April 28, 2011 - 3:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. Yes I am newly banded. just over 4 weeks out. Had my first fill on Monday but don't notice any difference at all. I've only been sipping on the diet pepsi just recently. I just wasn't sure if there was a reason other than my own possible discomfort or something bad could happen with the band because of it. I've not been able to drink even a half of one can or bottle in a day so I don't think I'll be overindulging like I used to.

ebusa

Advanced Member

• Surgeon: Jeffrey Hunter
  • Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Starting Weight: 275
  • Weight Lost: 0
  • Current Weight: 275
  • Goal Weight: 195
  • BMI: 37.3
Posted April 29, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Does this mean no beer? :( Or do I have to start driking foo foo drinks? hehe

My mom had Gastric Bypass about 5 years ago and still drinks diet coke all day long - I know, bad idea, but she won't stop!

Tell me I can have a a few beers once and a while!

Cindy C

Lapband Goddess

• Surgeon: Zubin Bhesania
  • Surgery Date: Jun 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Starting Weight: 324
  • Weight Lost: 141
  • Current Weight: 183
  • Goal Weight: 162
  • BMI: 27
Posted May 1, 2011 - 1:58 PM

Carbonation is one of the worst things you can do. The bubbles get in there and pop causing your pouch to stretch which can cause a prolapse. Drinking pop and beer you risk losing your band....and let's face it, that stuff that contributed to our obesity problems in the first place. I used to go through at least 3 12-packs of diet cola a week. I haven't had one since 6/9/08 (the day before my surgery) and haven't missed it!

MollyRN

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: George Fielding
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Starting Weight: 286
  • Weight Lost: 120
  • Current Weight: 166
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 26.8
  • My Blogs
Posted May 1, 2011 - 4:11 PM

Agreed - carbonation may not bother you yet, but it is not good for your pouch. Kick the habit.
In the long term, you drink it and feel like crap honestly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Sep 01
    BladeFox

Went shopping this weekend and everything in 18 women's. I look and feel...

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      Sep 01
    HalloweenBaby24

A week before surgery, Not feeling nervous just feeling numb about the whole...

Show comments (3)
View All Updates