Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constantly Throwing Up

I have been having the hardest time the last year with my lap band. i throw up mucus everynight of the week. sometimes i wake myself up throwing up on the bed. i can't stand the stomach mucus anymore. i have made an appt. with my doctor for monday (apr.4). i don't want it taken out as i have lost almost 70 pounds, but i cannot tolerate throwing up everynight in the middle of the night anymore. it's gotten to the point where i don't want to go to sleep anymore. i can't even tell him i've been throwing up this long because he will flip his lid. i can't digest my food because i can't eat slow enough. i throw up everything. i'm probably ruining my esophagus or the actual lap band itself. i don't know what to do. i know i'm doing what i'm supposed to be doing by making this doctor's appt. i should've made it a long time ago. i only have between 20 and 30 pounds left to lose, i just don't know what to do. i'm thinking of telling him that this vomiting just started because he is a very strict doctor and will really get upset with me and probably yell at me for not telling him, and i'm so upset by all this that the last thing i want is him yelling at me. Does anyone else out there have problems throwing everything up? or if not everything, just mucus at night? Help!!!!

It sounds like you are too tight and need an unfill. They don't have to take all the Fluid out, just a little removal should cure this problem. I had an unfill spring of 2010 and all they took out was .2cc. Fixed my problem.

I don't think I'd say how long this has been going on unless pressed to do so.

It's really important to get this taken care of because you could possibly inhale what is coming up and cause aspiration pneumonia.. which is no joke!

I don't have this issue (night-time reflux) constantly, but I have had it a time or two, usually when I eat dense, solid Protein too close to bedtime.

Try not to eat for a few hours before bed. Maybe drink a glass of Water or a cup of warm tea before bed to help rinse out the portion of stomach above the band.

And please keep your appt on the 4th. Let us know how you do.

this has been going on a year and you haven't told your doctor?!!!

I don't want to make you feel any worse but wth were you thinking? Of course you need to tell him how long this has been going. What if you have messed up your esophagus or your band. You need to tell him just to make sure your alright.

You know throwing up on a regular basis with the band is a bad thing. Or at least you should.

I hope it all turns out good for you, but you really need to tell your doc.

And if I had a doctor who yelled at me.. I'd find a different doctor.

You need one you can communicate with, not one who has a parent/child attitude.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time and I hope you find some relief soon. But I think you should tell your doctor the truth. The prolonged vomiting may have caused damage and the doctor needs all the accurate information to treat you appropriately.

Jackie

I agree - tell the doctor the truth. You are an adult and you made the decision to not go to see him - but you cannot be dishonest and not get the care you deserve or need.

See your the first person who has said this besides me, if one more person tells me it's due to not chewing I may just scream!!!!! I chew , I know how to eat and yet 90% of the time I am barfing, never in my sleep but always after meals, sometimes I am fine but at least 3-4 times a week, told my doctor and he told me "you aren't chewing well enough"...REALL!?????!!!! how about broths, I dislike my doctor a lot and I am re thinking this whole damn thing......

Good luck and let me know....

Dear Whaleswife,

I hate to say this, but it sounds like you may have a slipped band. I, also, went through reflux and vomiting mucus at night. It got so bad, that my husband was being kept up half the night, too. I went to get 1 cc out, and the surgeon took it all out for a month. It is hard, don't let anyone tell you different. i thought after 18 months, I would be disciplined enough not to gain. I have gained, but I sleep and can eat again. Please, for your health, see your doctor. I only have 1 month of this no fill to see if my band is okay. if not, he may have to do surgery again. Good luck! Karen

We have to find the courage to face each Bandster issue using the rational part of ourselves. I endured being too tight on several occasions, thinking I would somehow overcome it. In my 4cc band, even .1cc makes a tremendous difference!!! I wasn't throwing up at night, but had got to where each day I could be sure there would be a PB or 2. Feeling embarrassed by going too long without seeking help is understandable. Not getting that adjustment when needed is recipe for unnecessary suffering.

Jack - you just summarized the issue I am having and I am going tomorrow am for an unfill. Well said!

Hey everyone, went to the doctor today and he loosened my band, he didn't yell, but he did tell me i MUST call him if i throw up anymore. he ordered a CAT scan to see if i harmed the band in any way and wrote me a prescription for Cipro because the mucus is green now, so he wants to get rid of it. he told me i should not throw up tonight, and i am so happy that i went to see him, so CAT scan soon, blood work after that and then maybe i'll get my act together as i have an appt. scheduled for 3 weeks from now. thanks to everyone for your input. i will keep you all informed.

Excellent report. I'm glad he didn't yell, that's the only reason I suggested not mentioning how long this has been going on, unless pressed. I didn't want you to avoid going in out of fear of the doctor.

Don't you feel better?? I am so glad you went in and that you told him the truth. We have to be empowered patients - it is the only way to get the care we deserve. Good for you! I personally just kept down my lunch - first meal in 3 days ;) May your good news spead to everyone!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches