Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Winnipeg, Manitoba - Anyone have surgery at Maples Surgical Clinic?

Hello Everyone,

I am looking into get Lap Band at the Maples Surgical Clinic and I would like to talk to anyone who has had surgery recently at the Clinic?

Thanks you.

Hi! I had surgery at Maples in January...almost 3 months ago. I've been pleased with the process so far. Any particular questions you have? Have you started the process yet?

Hi! I had surgery at Maples in January...almost 3 months ago. I've been pleased with the process so far. Any particular questions you have? Have you started the process yet?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am looking into it but I have to be honest, I am having a problem getting people to call me back and provide me with information, they seem to be very unorganized. I can't find the names of the doctor's on there there website to do some research on the them.

That is why I wanted to talk to someone who had surgery at the clinic.

How much weight would you like to lose? How did you find the staff? Who was the doctor that did you surgery? Did you pay for your consultation? How are you doing now after the surgery and have you lost any weight? Did you find the surgery helped so that you feel fuller faster? Did you look at any other clinics and what made you decide on them?

Any information would be helpful, this surgery is not cheap and I want to make sure I made the right decision.

Thank you so much for answering me and taking the time to email.

Connie

Hi Connie,

The surgeons are Dr. Andrew and Dr. Bracken, they worked as a team on me and I assume they work together for all the surgeries. They also work in a typical hospital (I think they have to to maintain their licences) so they have specific days at Maples. I think that also impacts their schedules at Maples...if they get stuck in emergencies or whatever. So my surgery was actually the day after the original date set. At the time it was frustrating but I'm over that now.

The consultation was $150 when I did mine (December 2010). They went over the details of the surgery, had an actual lap band to look at, mentioned their rate of complications (right in line with normal, includes infection, erosion, slippage). Of course they assessed me by asking a number of questions too.

I would like to lose about 140 lb but would be happy with 120 lb. So far, I've lost 60 lb! But everyone is different so you should spend some time reading here and elsewhere...it is possible to cheat with the lapband by eating what they call "slider" foods, foods that will slip right through the band that are bad for you. You'll see it over and over again on here that the band is a tool... I chose it because it's much less invasive than gastric bypass. I had considered flying to Toronto for the sugery but that was only because I didn't realize I could get it done right here in Winnipeg. I'm so glad I didn't have to travel!

Anyway, no clinic is perfect but I've been happy with my experience at Maples. They are gearing up to launch a lapband website in April that will have a lot more info, recipes, maybe a forum. I'm looking forward to that. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. Also, if you look a little further down in this Canada forum, there is a Manitoba thread and some people there have posted about Maples. They haven't posted much lately, most of them had their surgeries quite a long time ago but you might get some info there.

Take care and good luck with your choice!

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, I apologize that it took so much time to get back to you!

Congratulations on your weight loss! How are you doing now?

I appreciate all the information that you have given me.

How did you find the liquid diet before surgery?

I will check out the other links and keep you posted.

Thanks.

Connie

Hi Connie,

The surgeons are Dr. Andrew and Dr. Bracken, they worked as a team on me and I assume they work together for all the surgeries. They also work in a typical hospital (I think they have to to maintain their licences) so they have specific days at Maples. I think that also impacts their schedules at Maples...if they get stuck in emergencies or whatever. So my surgery was actually the day after the original date set. At the time it was frustrating but I'm over that now.

The consultation was $150 when I did mine (December 2010). They went over the details of the surgery, had an actual lap band to look at, mentioned their rate of complications (right in line with normal, includes infection, erosion, slippage). Of course they assessed me by asking a number of questions too.

I would like to lose about 140 lb but would be happy with 120 lb. So far, I've lost 60 lb! But everyone is different so you should spend some time reading here and elsewhere...it is possible to cheat with the lapband by eating what they call "slider" foods, foods that will slip right through the band that are bad for you. You'll see it over and over again on here that the band is a tool... I chose it because it's much less invasive than gastric bypass. I had considered flying to Toronto for the sugery but that was only because I didn't realize I could get it done right here in Winnipeg. I'm so glad I didn't have to travel!

Anyway, no clinic is perfect but I've been happy with my experience at Maples. They are gearing up to launch a lapband website in April that will have a lot more info, recipes, maybe a forum. I'm looking forward to that. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. Also, if you look a little further down in this Canada forum, there is a Manitoba thread and some people there have posted about Maples. They haven't posted much lately, most of them had their surgeries quite a long time ago but you might get some info there.

Take care and good luck with your choice!

Thanks Connie! I'm still doing well, approaching 70 lb lost. The liquid diet is actually not all liquid, it was 2 shakes and 1 bar per day and 2 cups of vegetables (there were some no-no's on the vegetable choices). It was tough, particularily because mine was over Christmas but there were a few things that helped me keep going at it: awesome weightloss and the fear that if I cheated, my liver wouldn't be good enough and they wouldn't put the band in. In the grand scheme of things, it's only two weeks and most people get through it just fine.The website is launched by the way, but you only get access once you are a member of the program which is I think when you start your pre-op diet. It is a great resource!

Hi Connie, did you end up going for the surgery then? Also to the one who's done it before, how much did it cost? Please get back to me, thanks!

I am sorry I am not on the site very often. Let me know where you are in the process now.

Connie