Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

fifties and pre-op surgery support

Hi , I am 58 and probably looking at a june surgery date (or sooner) and I would love to correspond with someone in this same time frame and around the same age, I also want to hear from those who have had their surgery around my age and how things are going. I am so worried about the Hair loss so I will have my pretty wig waiting if the need comes up.:) I worry more about long term side effects than immediate side effects. I have a wonderful dr. and team and I get so excited about the future then I am on the fence again. I have a friend who had it done and she says all of these feelings are common, but they go away. My son-in-law was banded in Feb. and it has been some struggle but he seems to be fine and is now back at work. As far as the sagging skin people talk about , Spanx are wonderful. I won't have PS. Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Hi , I am 58 and probably looking at a june surgery date (or sooner) and I would love to correspond with someone in this same time frame and around the same age, I also want to hear from those who have had their surgery around my age and how things are going. I am so worried about the Hair loss so I will have my pretty wig waiting if the need comes up.:) I worry more about long term side effects than immediate side effects. I have a wonderful dr. and team and I get so excited about the future then I am on the fence again. I have a friend who had it done and she says all of these feelings are common, but they go away. My son-in-law was banded in Feb. and it has been some struggle but he seems to be fine and is now back at work. As far as the sagging skin people talk about , Spanx are wonderful. I won't have PS. Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

i had my surgery last year in August and i am 52 y/o. Your feelings are normal. educate yourself and continue to go forward. follow your doctor's program, identify your questions and get them answered.everyone has a slightly different experience. Hair loss some of us experience it. i did, fortunately my hair loss was medium to the point where you could see my scalp. 7 months out my hair is growing back. make sure you take your Vitamins.< /p>

I am 50 and agree with the above post. Would be happy to talk to you anytime

Cheri

i had my surgery last year in August and i am 52 y/o. Your feelings are normal. educate yourself and continue to go forward. follow your doctor's program, identify your questions and get them answered.everyone has a slightly different experience. hair loss some of us experience it. i did, fortunately my Hair loss was medium to the point where you could see my scalp. 7 months out my hair is growing back. make sure you take your Vitamins.

Hello thsisme, thank you for replying to my post, I am feeling a lot better about the surgery, I have read and re read information, and that really helps. The hair loss scares me but I will make it thru that too. Thanks again and have a good nite. Hopeful one

Hi, I am 51 and hope to have my surgery scheduled beofre turning 52 in Mid July. Nervous, but hopeful. I have been telling myself for years, "I know what to do, how to eat, how to exercise to lose wt" etc. As a nurse, my mind knows all of this, but my body does not seem to want to cooperate!!! So I am going to take the plunge since I have a new (this past year) diagnosis of diabetes. Not worried so much about Hair loss (post breast cancer with chemo/completely bald for over 6 months!!). But definately worried about "sagging"!! Looking forward to reading more experiences as we all get this done.:rolleyes:

Hi Hopeful One and Everyone else.

I am 57 and am 3 weeks post op today. I feel GREAT!!!! The only issue I had was the gas in my chest and left shoulder the first week. After that went away it was like I never had anything done. To date I have lost 19lbs. I have not lost anything now in about a week because I have started excersising and started solid food yesterday. Have my first fill on April 29th and I haven't seen any signs of Hair loss yet. I can sure tell when I am full or have eaten too much so I am being really careful. You will do great!

BJ

Hey!! Went to the seminar tonight, it was very informative. One of the first questions about the insurance though was answered by the physician "That insurance does not cover bariatric surgery" I about started crying there!!!! since it was my insurance, until I heard, "Unless you work for the hospital, they just started covering bariatric surgery in January for hospital employees". Whew!! It felt like a sign. Then there was the question of a Cancer diagnosis. 4 years out for my surgery/chemo. That was okay, as long as my oncologist says it is okay. I can't think of any reason why not, my last CT scans and blood work were clear. So now I am just waiting for the office to call me and let me know times and dates of pre-op tests. I dragged my husband along, while he does not really care about my size (and luckily, my silicone "girls") ***I know, I am really lucky in the husband department*** He realizes that I am very unhappy about my wieght, and health status, so he is very supportive. I warned him that I might be very "anti-cooking" for awhile and his response was "just make sure there is something for me to fix, and I can cook for myself" **what a doll!!!!! So I will post when I have some new dates/information etc. I feel that this site will be a big help, espeically with those that are having the procedure around the same time. Also, a friend from work is going to be going through this at the same time.

One question I have, tell or not to tell. Co-workers, extended family etc. What do you think? I only need to take off one week of work, it is summer, no big deal. What is the response from people, helpful or not? Let me know opinions please!!

Hey, should I do a picture "pre-op diet" or after the 2 weeks? Which weight should I use for the ticker tape? (once I figure out how to get it onto this site). :D

Hey!! Went to the seminar tonight, it was very informative. One of the first questions about the insurance though was answered by the physician "That insurance does not cover bariatric surgery" I about started crying there!!!! since it was my insurance, until I heard, "Unless you work for the hospital, they just started covering bariatric surgery in January for hospital employees". Whew!! It felt like a sign. Then there was the question of a Cancer diagnosis. 4 years out for my surgery/chemo. That was okay, as long as my oncologist says it is okay. I can't think of any reason why not, my last CT scans and blood work were clear. So now I am just waiting for the office to call me and let me know times and dates of pre-op tests. I dragged my husband along, while he does not really care about my size (and luckily, my silicone "girls") ***I know, I am really lucky in the husband department*** He realizes that I am very unhappy about my wieght, and health status, so he is very supportive. I warned him that I might be very "anti-cooking" for awhile and his response was "just make sure there is something for me to fix, and I can cook for myself" **what a doll!!!!! So I will post when I have some new dates/information etc. I feel that this site will be a big help, espeically with those that are having the procedure around the same time. Also, a friend from work is going to be going through this at the same time.

One question I have, tell or not to tell. Co-workers, extended family etc. What do you think? I only need to take off one week of work, it is summer, no big deal. What is the response from people, helpful or not? Let me know opinions please!!

Hey, should I do a picture "pre-op diet" or after the 2 weeks? Which weight should I use for the ticker tape? (once I figure out how to get it onto this site). :D

Hey Taralynn, I was so glad to hear from you and before I go any further , I wish you the very best of luck.As far as telling anyone, I can't really say, I have told my sisters and my co-workers, and I feel like if they have a problem with it , that is their choice, everyone seems to be supportive of it.I am fine if they do or not. I am doing what I feel is right for me. As far as the weight ticker, I already have mine up and if I lose a pound, I put it on there, every pound lost is one pound closer to my goal.. I went to my surgeons appt on april 12 and weighed 265 and now I am 259 and I am determined to be down to 255 on may13 when I go back,and every pound will go on my ticker. The hair loss worries me, but I already have my pretty wig waiting if necessary. I also worry about the sagging skin, but I don't think I would ever have that skin removed, I am so deathly afraid of infection. But that is just me. I haven't put a picture up yet, but I want to this weekend. I will have to get my daughter to help me, I am not to good with all that picture stuff on the computers.:( My husband will be good with whatever I do. He is always supportive of what I do. I will probably be off about 4 weeks, because I cook for approx. 150 kids each day 2 meals and a snack, and I have quite a bit of lifting and we can't lift nothing heavier than 1-2 phone books. I think my surgery will be around the first to the middle of june. I have another appt. with the therapist on the 15th of may and then they will sentd the papers to my insurance. OH, I had to get my daughter to put my ticker up.:) You take care and again , GOOD LUCK and keep in touch. E-mail hartroanoke@aol.com Peggy

Hi Hopeful One and Everyone else.

I am 57 and am 3 weeks post op today. I feel GREAT!!!! The only issue I had was the gas in my chest and left shoulder the first week. After that went away it was like I never had anything done. To date I have lost 19lbs. I have not lost anything now in about a week because I have started excersising and started solid food yesterday. Have my first fill on April 29th and I haven't seen any signs of hair loss yet. I can sure tell when I am full or have eaten too much so I am being really careful. You will do great!

BJ

Hi, I am glad you are feeling so good, Keep up what you are doing.Good weight loss.I have been told the Hair loss starts around the 3rd month and it will start growing back by 6 th month. I have my wig ready just in case.I hope you continue to do very well. Peggy

So wonderful to find others in their 50's on the same journey!!!! I will be 57 in June.

Looking forward to hearing how everything goes for you. I'm just starting out. I'm waiting to get dates for my 12 week Options Class.

PK

Everyone, take care and have a great Easter! WE are not alone. Taralynne, To tell or not to tell, I think the choice is dependent upon you and how you feel about the surgery and having to possibly listen to others who may not be so supportive. Myself, I could care less if someone thinks I'm taking the easy way out (no one has done that to me, but I have heard about others having that experience) I chose to tell everyone who wanted to know and especially at work since I did not want them to think that I had some traumatic disease process going on. My DH has been great! He is my biggest supporter and with the exception of complimenting me on my "wrinkly butt" ( he really thought that he was making the best of compliments. I guess it is the difference in how men vs. women think) he has been great! My co-workers have been and still are supportive, they compliment me often and are always asking about how I am feeling, not how much weight, but checking to make sure that I am feeling good and strong. Pictures, I think are a great idea to take every so often while you travel down this road and work the process. I know that when I look in the mirror ... I see me, my old self even though I know what the scales, smaller clothing, energy levels, etc tell me that I am loosing...pictures hit home. Just remember you are not alone in this we are all here together.

Hi Everyone:

I am 56 and am scheduled for surgery on May 4th. I's great to find others who are close to my age. I am so-o-o excited about beginning this new journey and would like very much to hear about your journeys as well.

Best of luck to all.

Let's Do It!!!

Everyone, take care and have a great Easter! WE are not alone. Taralynne, To tell or not to tell, I think the choice is dependent upon you and how you feel about the surgery and having to possibly listen to others who may not be so supportive. Myself, I could care less if someone thinks I'm taking the easy way out (no one has done that to me, but I have heard about others having that experience) I chose to tell everyone who wanted to know and especially at work since I did not want them to think that I had some traumatic disease process going on. My DH has been great! He is my biggest supporter and with the exception of complimenting me on my "wrinkly butt" ( he really thought that he was making the best of compliments. I guess it is the difference in how men vs. women think) he has been great! My co-workers have been and still are supportive, they compliment me often and are always asking about how I am feeling, not how much weight, but checking to make sure that I am feeling good and strong. Pictures, I think are a great idea to take every so often while you travel down this road and work the process. I know that when I look in the mirror ... I see me, my old self even though I know what the scales, smaller clothing, energy levels, etc tell me that I am loosing...pictures hit home. Just remember you are not alone in this we are all here together.

Hello and HAPPY EASTER to all, I just want to let you all know we are in this journey together, and for the people who say we are taking the easy way out, well I say to them , are you nuts, this is anything but EASY, I have seen the hard work my friend and son-in-law have had to do,

Do people think we are doing this out of laziness well i personally think most of them are JEALOUS because they know we are going to look better and feel better after all is said and done, so I say to all HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH, BE PROUD OF YOURSELF, and don't worry about others feelings are or what they say, wait till you lose your weight and then see what they have to say, and to all who are being so supportive , God Bless you. You will always have support on this website, and know that we are all backing each other.