Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lack of support groups for Irish Bandsters!

Hi everyone, I am an Irish Bandster who was banded in Belgium by Dr Chris De Bruyne on the 15th of February 2011, and I would love to meet with other Irish Bandsters who have been through the surgery. I really feel like it is still a very "taboo" subject here in Ireland and there is very little support out there for us in our own country. I have formed a group on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_144644905601361 for anyone who would like to be involved, we can share our experiences and support each other through the tough times, and Celebrate the good times and achievements. I have had a page on Facebook for about a year since I decided to have lapband surgery and everyone on there is from America, and its hard to compare food products etc because they have all different things available to them that we dont have and vice versa. I would love to eventually maybe be able to set up big group get-togethers for us all maybe every three months or so just to keep in touch and have a fun day for ourselves. After all, we have been through a lot and boy do we deserve it! Looking forward to hearing from you, All the best and good luck with the battle ;)

Hi,

I'm an Irish counsellor living in Canada who works with quite a few women here who have had lapband and other kinds of weight loss surgery. I do workshops and groups as well as individual work to help people with the emotional challenges after surgery.

I was looking around Lapbandtalk this eve and was pleased to see there was an Irish section. I am really interested to know what is going on in Ireland around bariatric surgery and supports.

Here in Victoria BC there are three main surgeons doing weight loss surgery and they are very busy. The governement pays for some gastric bypass surgeries but the waitlist is about five years. For lapbanders it is much quicker because they pay for it themselves.

So I'm interested to know what if any emotional supports there are for people who are preparing for or have had weight loss surgery in Ireland. As one of the surgeons says here, he operates on the abdomen not the brain and as we all know, old habits aren't easy to change. This is my first posting on this website

Grace

Lap band surgery is a taboo subject....but I know three people who have had it and three who had by pass surgery.....the main thing in Ireland is it is far too expensive an option for most people,,,,,and doctors normally tell you you are mad if you mention it....I was only 4 stone over weight when I had mine done...I decided I had had enough of the yo yo dieting and doctors telling me to exercise....i attended a personal trainer for 1 year and paid E5200 doing so and lost only 1 stone so decided after seeing my sister get by pass surgery in Belgium that i would give up battling against genetics....best decision I ever made....although I had confidence I was always letting my weight keep me back...now I still reach for the size 16 /18 clothes and have to put them back as I am now a 10/12 ....you need to sort your head out as well as the physical side...luckily I found a good therapist....sot there i am breaking two taboos in Ireland getting weight loss surgery and attending therapy...I have never been happier in all my 36 years of living....if you can't afford the surgery or cannot wait to jump throught all the hoops the Irish health system wants you to go throught...get finance .....and head to the UK....i would not recommend Belgium as my sister had no post op support and she did have to attend the blackrock clinic after as she had complications with reflux and pain ( turned out to be her gall bladder )...however the Irish doctor was reluctant to help as she did not pay E18k to have surgery in Ireland and had gotten her much cheaper surgery in Belgium...she did eventually get help and have her gall bladder out, she thought the pain was due to her gastric by pass. I on the other hand had a far better experience , even though I had my surgery in the UK i had a lot of post op support with the Hospital group in Dublin and it was reassuring to know I could call into them if I had a problem.

Hi everyone, I am an Irish Bandster who was banded in Belgium by Dr Chris De Bruyne on the 15th of February 2011, and I would love to meet with other Irish Bandsters who have been through the surgery. I really feel like it is still a very "taboo" subject here in Ireland and there is very little support out there for us in our own country. I have formed a group on Facebook http://www.facebook....144644905601361 for anyone who would like to be involved, we can share our experiences and support each other through the tough times, and Celebrate the good times and achievements. I have had a page on Facebook for about a year since I decided to have lapband surgery and everyone on there is from America, and its hard to compare food products etc because they have all different things available to them that we dont have and vice versa. I would love to eventually maybe be able to set up big group get-togethers for us all maybe every three months or so just to keep in touch and have a fun day for ourselves. After all, we have been through a lot and boy do we deserve it! Looking forward to hearing from you, All the best and good luck with the battle ;)

Hi there -I totally agree with you- I had my surgery nearly 4 years ago with Advanced Cosmetics Surgery and paid over 10k for the procedure- when I went for my first fill I found that the company had closed down or should I say that it was closed down- My surgeon Dr Jerome Manuceau was disbarred from practising in Ireland as a lady died on his operating table???? I had paid 10k and ACS were no longer there for any post operative backup -including fills- As a u may know the industry is not regulated so there was nothing I could do- Eventually The Hospital Group gave me fills but I had to pay for them and the support was really bad- I wouldn't mind but I was going to go abroad for my banding but thought that if there were problems I would be better off at home- Murphys Law Eh! I am doing ok with the banding but I am still having problems with vomiting and getting the proper nutrients into my body- Don't know what to do now or where to go for help? Maybe we could get together and have a chat

Moira

Hi! Moira,

I just read your mail.....I had problem with the vomiting but I got a little bit out seems I had too much fill.....I still vomit from time to time depending on what I eat....some days I can eat a vegtable curry and othertimes I cannot eat even a mouth full without getting sick....it can depend on the time of day I am eating or whether I am stressed or not....I take pharmaton, Calcium and Omega 3 ( when I remember) I also get my bloods done every six months to make sure I am getting enough suplements.....my GP reckons I am getting good blood results as I am taking all the aforementioned supplements....the only thing I lack is Protein and thats because I don't eat chicken or fish....all the nutritionist I went to are a waste of time....I just take the odd Protein supplement and try to eat well....however fruit is hard to get down so I blend fruit into a smoothie...that way I am getting all my daily 5......just make sure your vomiting is not down to gall bladder as my sisters surgeon in Belgium recommended that by pass patients got them out when getting the operation....she did not and 1 year later she had hers removed....I know you got banded but it could be a factor.....personally it is hit and miss every day as to what I can eat....hope all is well :)

Hi there -I totally agree with you- I had my surgery nearly 4 years ago with Advanced Cosmetics Surgery and paid over 10k for the procedure- when I went for my first fill I found that the company had closed down or should I say that it was closed down- My surgeon Dr Jerome Manuceau was disbarred from practising in Ireland as a lady died on his operating table???? I had paid 10k and ACS were no longer there for any post operative backup -including fills- As a u may know the industry is not regulated so there was nothing I could do- Eventually The Hospital Group gave me fills but I had to pay for them and the support was really bad- I wouldn't mind but I was going to go abroad for my banding but thought that if there were problems I would be better off at home- Murphys Law Eh! I am doing ok with the banding but I am still having problems with vomiting and getting the proper nutrients into my body- Don't know what to do now or where to go for help? Maybe we could get together and have a chat

Moira

Hi everyone, I am an Irish Bandster who was banded in Belgium by Dr Chris De Bruyne on the 15th of February 2011, and I would love to meet with other Irish Bandsters who have been through the surgery. I really feel like it is still a very "taboo" subject here in Ireland and there is very little support out there for us in our own country. I have formed a group on Facebook http://www.facebook....144644905601361 for anyone who would like to be involved, we can share our experiences and support each other through the tough times, and Celebrate the good times and achievements. I have had a page on Facebook for about a year since I decided to have lapband surgery and everyone on there is from America, and its hard to compare food products etc because they have all different things available to them that we dont have and vice versa. I would love to eventually maybe be able to set up big group get-togethers for us all maybe every three months or so just to keep in touch and have a fun day for ourselves. After all, we have been through a lot and boy do we deserve it! Looking forward to hearing from you, All the best and good luck with the battle ;)

hi just wondering do you know of any lap band support group in ireland

hi just wondering do you know of any lap band support group in ireland

Hi there! I posted this months ago and forgot all about it.. are having lap band surgery or thinking about it? I dont know of any lapband support groups here in Ireland and that is why I wanted to try and get us all together to chat! My Facebook page is Gilly Lapbandqueen if you want to look me up, and I also have another page called irish lapband support network. Check it out, it would be great to get a group of us together for a good chat.. looking forward to hearing from you!