Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoulder Pain After Hernia Repair

I had Umbilical hernia and diastasis recti surgery on 7/23/18. I have a large what I call a banana shape on my stomach and my hernia area is very painful. Now let’s get to my shoulder. My right shoulder hurts so bad when I sit and get up I get pains that go up my shoulder and up both sides of my neck to my head and make me dizzy. What the heck is that. I’m living on advil.

Well back when we were embryos, yeah only a few intrauterine weeks old the nerves that were going to be for the diaphragm lived up in the future neck and shoulder area. As we developed and the future diaphragm descended the sensory nerves still thought they were up above still. This is why classic gall bladder pain is felt in the right shoulder one not in the right subcostal(under the ribs) area, although when my own was so swollen it pressed on my liver and the neighbors and I did have subcostal pain. So now as BARI- patients we feel the pressure and,pain from the blasted CO2 gas our surgeons love blow up our abdomen to epic sizes with in the shoulders instead. Not blaming them too heavily, if I were groping around someone's abdomen with tools, knowing a misstep,could be fatal, I dang well would want to see all I could. I,may joke I have all the tools, have watched enough bari-surgeries on You Tube to be able to,perform my own, but you notice I AM BOOKED with A bonofide Surgeon who doggone well all the proper landmarks , knows enough about the proceedings to have taught many young surgeons, and when all is said and done this time I am NOT THE LITTLE ENGINE WHO COULD , just give me my general, put me in a slumber and do it for ME. In the words of the Late Elvis, Thank You Very Much!

Reading this has made me feel so much better. I had surgery nearly 3 weeks ago with a small hernia and the left shoulder pain was awful. It is also my getting full warning. It also acts up if I push to hard exercising. I have had a good last few days of it not hurting, so hopefully it's done. So weird this a thing.

I am glad I found this blog because I started having this pain in my shoulder then it would move up to my neck. I looked up heart attack symptoms because you know I was self diagnosing (don't do this by the way) and of course those are the symptoms of a heart attack too, I was stressing out and thought I was making it worse. Anyway glad to hear it is NOT that and just something that will go away.

Several people have commented recently, so I thought I would pop on and

post. I am now over 9 years post-op (Lap-band). The shoulder pain was bad. I found that the cheap Walmart brand pain Patches helped the best. The shoulder pain did go away for me, but every once in awhile I get a tiny shoulder twinge as a reminder if I have overeaten a bit. It is nothing like in the beginning...just a reminder twinge.