Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia because your band is to tight?

I was banded in April 2008 and so far I have lost 168 pounds. I havent had a fill since April 2009. Over the last six months or so I have been having heartburn/acid reflux. It went from every now and then to every day. Just drinking Water gave me heartburn, and still does. My family doctor ordered and upper GI for me and I went and had it done this morning. I have a hiatal hernia, something I never had pre lap band. The doctor doing the test said perhaps it is because my band is too tight, could this really be the reason? In the back of my mind I thought that maybe that would be the answer, the shocker was the hiatal hernia diagnosis. Has anyone heard of this, or has it happened to you? The doctor said the Fluid goes down my esoughagus, but then some of the fluid goes back up causing the gerd/reflux.

Any thoughts on this? All input is welcome!

cause/effect of Band/hiatal hernia is certainly an issue of debate. Consider the % of morbidly obese that have hiatal hernia without the Band lowers the level of confidence in any statistics attempting to assign relationship, IMHO. Hiatal hernia develops too, in many non-obese as one of the foibles of the aging process. It is not uncommonly linked as one of the factors associated with obesity. I don't know how difficult it would be to gather supportive research data linking the two. Personally, I believe hiatal hernia is not specifically related to your premise of "band too tight". I could be wrong, but show me the evidence.

You raised good points, Jack. I was told that all the vomitting I was doing caused the problems, but who knows, maybe the hernia happened, caused the reflux and vomitting, and that caused the slip. I know for sure that the prevalence of hernias increases with age, as you said.

Mimi

I had a hiatal hernia that my doc found and repaired while doing my surgery. I've not had any real problems with my band, got it in Oct. 09 and love having it. It's my little band buddy:-) But, the past couple of months, I've been having a lot of reflux,,, if I eat anything within 4 to 5 hours of going to bed at night,,, I wake up with reflux. I hate it! But I just have adjusted to eating by 5:30ish every day and things were fine. But the past couple of days,,, I've had issues even with Water during the day. So I'm wondering now if since I had the hernia,,, that I got it again? Can you even get those again once they've been repaired? I'm so sorry to hear that your band slipped Mimilou2004! Do they have to go back in for a surgery to repair that?

yes it is possible to suffer further hiatal hernia....have your doctor do exam to determine what is causing your symptoms. Life is tough enough without unnecessary pain. It may be something else. Adequate diagnosis will lead to appropriate treatment. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you for your concern...yes I had to have the slip surgically repaired and at the same time my hernia was repaired. I ended up being unfilled for 4 months and had to start all over from the beginning.

Mimi

O wow,,, starting over, was it scary not having your band filled for that time? I get excited for the day I'm at my goal and can let out some of my fill,,, but at the same time, scared to not have enough fill.

I'm glad you got everything fixed,,, was the recovery the same as with getting your band done the first time?

I was just diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia as well, and mine is giving me quite a lot of pain. The doc said it's likely because I was filled too tightly. I had my surgery in Nov, 2007 and I haven't lost an ounce. I originally lost 38 pounds, but it all came back, which is common if you have the hernia, as it can cause you to feel hungry often. Gratefully, my band hasn't slipped, so after correction, I should be right as rain and hopefully the band will once again work for me.

I am going to my regular doctor on Monday, with the hopes of getting it corrected quickly. They were hoping that if I cut WAYYYY down on food portions that it could be controlled,

but the pain I am in is not worth the "wait and see" game to me.

Just another proving point that wanting the band tight is not the proper approach for the tool, because it doesn't stop you from eating, it just stretches the area, or worse causes vomiting.

Good luck to you.

I was banded in April 2008 and so far I have lost 168 pounds. I havent had a fill since April 2009. Over the last six months or so I have been having heartburn/acid reflux. It went from every now and then to every day. Just drinking Water gave me heartburn, and still does. My family doctor ordered and upper GI for me and I went and had it done this morning. I have a hiatal hernia, something I never had pre lap band. The doctor doing the test said perhaps it is because my band is too tight, could this really be the reason? In the back of my mind I thought that maybe that would be the answer, the shocker was the hiatal hernia diagnosis. Has anyone heard of this, or has it happened to you? The doctor said the Fluid goes down my esoughagus, but then some of the Fluid goes back up causing the gerd/reflux.

Any thoughts on this? All input is welcome!