Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal hernia repair during lap band surgery

I got banded yesterday by Dr. Corvala in Tijuana. He visited a few hours ago and said he also repaired a large hernia. I've never had acid reflux that I know of. Anyway, I'm not in much pain at all so far. I don't think they've given me much.

The 4 hours of plane rides home tomorrow are going to be the test, I think!

So far I don't regret coming to Mexico for the surgery. The hospital is immaculate and the Doctor has been very professional.

I was banded in April 2010 and also had a hernia repair. What they didn't tell me was how it would feel afterward. I noticed I could not get rid of pain in my shoulder. I thought it was a gas bubble that needed to work its way out. But after returning to work 5 days post-op, I sincerely thought I had a rotater cuff tear. My shoulder actually locked up on me. I was in tears and could not get the pain meds to kick in fast enough. I mentioned this to my surgeon at my first follow up appt. That's when I learned the hernia repair can mask itself as a rotater cuff injury!! Crazy what our nerves can do to us. I was back to normal about 2 weeks post op. My shoulder only locked up on me twice. I switched off ice and heat in the evenings and stayed on top of the pain meds during the day.

I also had a hiatal hernia repair while i had my surgery. I only had pain for the first 2 day. Pain was mostly my upper middle abdomen, were the ribs meet.

i was banded on 3/3/12 and also had a hiatal hernia repair, i didnt know i had one til the dr came out after surgery and told my husband. the pain is horrible. the 4 incisions from the lp dont hurt, its the 1 inch incision across the top of my stomach that hurts. i feel like a huge elephant is sitting on my chest and arms and shoulders just hurt! i hope it ends soon :/

sharon

yes, I did experience pain. it helped when I walked. I walked as much as I could, in the house, out of the house, walk, walk, walk!

I was careful when I got out of bed and turned over in bed. the nurse worked with me and my roommie so we didn't rip anything. I still get out of bed the same way, roll over to the side and lift up with my arm.

I also had a hiatal hernia repair while i had my surgery. I only had pain for the first 2 day. Pain was mostly my upper middle abdomen' date=' were the ribs meet.[/quote']

how are you doing after your lp?

I had a hernia repair too when I was banded on 3/5/12. It has been misery! The pain of trying to burp or hiccup is unbearable and my abdomen is so swollen, I look pregnant. I called my doc on the 4th day b/c I couldn't stand it any longer. He gave me a prescription for Levsin and it has worked miracles! Now the only pain I have is gas and slight incision soreness.