Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I tell my OA food sponsor?

Hi all,

I have been in OA coming up on 2 years in June. I struggled initially with the program and ultimately decided I needed a little more help for my compulsive overeating. I was banded May 2010. I am down down about 50 pounds and have just started with a new OA food sponsor. She seems really cool and open minded but I am nervous about telling her about my band. Not sure if I am afraid of criticism or what. I don't feel a need to share in the meeting but I almost feel like I am lying to her if I don't tell her alone. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Katie

Hi Katie:

I have been in and than out of OA it is a great program, but as a guy I find it hard to relate to the few other guys. Anyway. I think you should tell her, the band is just another tool as is OA in this life long battle. She has no right to be critical. I agree that it may not be something to shaire at meetings but if asked you may want to shair your expernece. One thing I was told after getting the band is that one should also be involved in some sort of support like WW, OA Etc. Personally I dont just tell everone, if I am talking with some one who is heave and asks about my weight loss I will shair about the band.

Congradulations on your weight loss, personally I can get a bit hard on myself and this is alot of work. I am down 60/lbs since getting the band almost 2 years ago. I hope to loose another 10 or so but it has been alot of work, but I am hoping as it has taken so long that hopfully this time it I will be able to keep it off. OA Does teach you alot. Good luck.

ross

I have been in OA coming up on 2 years in June. I struggled initially with the program and ultimately decided I needed a little more help for my compulsive overeating. I was banded May 2010. I am down down about 50 pounds and have just started with a new OA food sponsor. She seems really cool and open minded but I am nervous about telling her about my band. Not sure if I am afraid of criticism or what. I don't feel a need to share in the meeting but I almost feel like I am lying to her if I don't tell her alone. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Katie

you know, i have thought about going to an OA meeting. i went as far as finding a meeting close to home but now i'm at my goal weight and i don't want to offend anyone by attending. i don't want to be judged by them thinking... what's this skinny girl doing here? and then to admit that i had surgery... i just don't know.

Please rest assured....eating disorders do not discriminate against race, gender, orientation or ANYTHING and neither do OA members. Every meeting I have ever been to has been a wonderful mix of people who were at goal and people still on that journey. People who are there are there to get help and/or be of service to someone who still suffers. I strongly encourage people to go to a meeting or, if your not comfortable, listen to a phone meeting and just take it all in. Go to the OA website and you can find a face to face or a phone meeting that suits your needs. I know I will go back to my compulsive overeating tendencies if I don't go to my meetings....it is the thing that keeps me grounded!

Good luck! Katie

Hi, I know its an old post, but I am in Grey Sheet (formerly OA) and I discussed it with my food sponsor because I think it is important that she know. If you feel like your sponsor will judge maybe they arent the sponsor for you.

I've been struggling in OA for four years. I know that OA works it just hasn't worked for me yet. I broke up with my sponsor before I got banded a little less than two weeks ago. I'm apprehensive to tell any of my OA friends share at meetings for fear of judgement. I hope I can find a sponsor who will work with me knowing that I have the band.

I've been struggling in OA for four years. I know that OA works it just hasn't worked for me yet. I broke up with my sponsor before I got banded a little less than two weeks ago. I'm apprehensive to tell any of my OA friends share at meetings for fear of judgement. I hope I can find a sponsor who will work with me knowing that I have the band.

Hey guys, im Taffie and I just found this site. I have so many questions and NEED so much help. Will someone please tell me how to find a sponser, if there is a chat room etc etc