Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so darn confused

I have been reading about the lap band and saving money. I am so confused about wether this will work for me. I'm 35 years old 5'9 and 235 (it's hurts to even type that:(. I work out about 3 days a week on cardio and have a trainer 2 days a week for resistance training. I have not lost a pound (I have actually gained about 10) in the 3 months with him. I didn't know I had to work so hard to stay fat!! I do have a lot of muscle and carry my weight well... People are shocked that I'm even over 200. My trainer says don't pay

Attention to the scale because I'm building lean muscle weight and he's totally against lap band. Has anyone had this situation where they already exercise a lot prior to lap band? Since I work out so much then it has to be nutrition so will the lap band be a benefit to me? I would love to lose 65 pounds but even if I lose less but don't have to fight so hard not to gain then I would consider it a success. I'm not getting any younger and how long can someone spend so much time working out? Any advice would be helpful.... I'm very nervous about this.

Your BMI is 34.7. The criteria for insurance was usually 35 with co-morbidities or 40 without. But I don't know about self pay. If you exericse as much as you do I am sure that you do carry your weight well. As to whether the band works for you - no one knows that prior to getting it. It depends on the kind of eater you are. If you are a grazer and/or eat slider foods, the band probably isn't the best choice. You could discuss this with a bariatric surgeon.

Don't listen to the trainer, those people are often zealots and many have never had to deal with obesity. This is your choice and you don't need his permission or opinion. He isn't qualified to give one.

Unfortunately I eat too much and in binging patterns. I will eat perfectly for a few weeks and then eat something bad and then it's like my body just can't get enough. I have gained about ten pounds a year for the last 5 years so I feel like even ifthe lap band keeps

Me From gaining more then it's a benefit. What are slider foods?

I have been reading about the lap band and saving money. I am so confused about wether this will work for me. I'm 35 years old 5'9 and 235 (it's hurts to even type that:(. I work out about 3 days a week on cardio and have a trainer 2 days a week for resistance training. I have not lost a pound (I have actually gained about 10) in the 3 months with him. I didn't know I had to work so hard to stay fat!! I do have a lot of muscle and carry my weight well... People are shocked that I'm even over 200. My trainer says don't pay

Attention to the scale because I'm building lean muscle weight and he's totally against lap band. Has anyone had this situation where they already exercise a lot prior to lap band? Since I work out so much then it has to be nutrition so will the lap band be a benefit to me? I would love to lose 65 pounds but even if I lose less but don't have to fight so hard not to gain then I would consider it a success. I'm not getting any younger and how long can someone spend so much time working out? Any advice would be helpful.... I'm very nervous about this.

Hello,

Finally someone on the same page as me. Im so nervous and I myself are a little over 5'8 246lbs. I have always been a slim person and in the last 11 years have been packing on the weight. This is the heaviest I have been even with 2 children. I feel people are looking at me saying why are you doing this your not fat. I have to be honest I hate exercising and love to eat. Im hoping this will be a new start to my life. Im sick of sitting on the couch and computer all the time. I want to be out w/my 9yrd before its to late like it was for my 18yr old. Im on my 2nd day of liquids and after reading some of the success stories I would love to lose all of my weight on the liquids. I want to go down to at least 150.

Hi, I jsut signed on to this forum site like 10 min ago and looking for people that I can relate to and I think I have. I am currently in a situation that has gotten me very confused. I am set to have surgery on May 16 for the last 2 1/2 weeks I have been working out and eating 5 small meals a day with the help of a nutrionost. I have already lost 14 lbs. I am 5'9' and currently weigh 253. I believe as a male and my height I should be at 180. I am not sure if I should go head and do the surgery or stick the my current plan. I do worry that this is only a phase and then I will go back up in weight. I have the motivaton but just worry and confuse myself if I should go with the surgery or stick to what I am doing.

Cesar

Hi Cesar,

I would never try to talk you into anything and am suportive of any decision you make. I had my surgery in March and I have no regrets. I lost 9 pounds on the liquid diet and had the same concerns as you but I came to my decision by realizing I would never be able to stay on a liquid diet forever and I'm getting older and my metabolism isnt going to get any better. I have only had one fill so I dont have much restriction but I feel like I can let go of some of that obsessing over food and calories. I still have to manage my portions because I dont have good restriction and you will definately have some mental and emotional issues because your mind will know you cant eat something but you will still want it and try to have it. I have almost completely written off any fast food because it is a waste of money due to the small portions I can eat and most fast food makes me sick. I havent lost enormous amounts of weight (like my best friend has) but I have freed my mind and spirit of the constant calorie counting and obsessing. I am back to working out 5 days a week and feel great (I have had to make some adjustments to keep my energy level). I feel great and I honestly feel like this was a good decision and one of the best tools I will ever have. When I actually have restriction I anticipate dropping weight quickly but even if I dont I can promise I won't gain anymore weight and that makes it worth it. I hope you come to a decision that brings you peace my friend.

Hi, I jsut signed on to this forum site like 10 min ago and looking for people that I can relate to and I think I have. I am currently in a situation that has gotten me very confused. I am set to have surgery on May 16 for the last 2 1/2 weeks I have been working out and eating 5 small meals a day with the help of a nutrionost. I have already lost 14 lbs. I am 5'9' and currently weigh 253. I believe as a male and my height I should be at 180. I am not sure if I should go head and do the surgery or stick the my current plan. I do worry that this is only a phase and then I will go back up in weight. I have the motivaton but just worry and confuse myself if I should go with the surgery or stick to what I am doing.

Cesar

I opted not to tell anyone other than my husband and my best friend that had the surgery a few weeks before me. I didnt want to deal with the judgement and harrassment from people. I had originally told my parents and sister that I was checking into this surgery and they made rude and hateful comments and told me I'm obsessed with weight and will never be happy with myself and I'm not fat so I would be wasting my money so I never brought the subject up again. I had the surgery about six months after that conversation. I plan to tell them when I have lost the weight and they make their first comments about me looking good..... If I never lose the weight then they will never know ;)

Hello,

Finally someone on the same page as me. Im so nervous and I myself are a little over 5'8 246lbs. I have always been a slim person and in the last 11 years have been packing on the weight. This is the heaviest I have been even with 2 children. I feel people are looking at me saying why are you doing this your not fat. I have to be honest I hate exercising and love to eat. Im hoping this will be a new start to my life. Im sick of sitting on the couch and computer all the time. I want to be out w/my 9yrd before its to late like it was for my 18yr old. Im on my 2nd day of liquids and after reading some of the success stories I would love to lose all of my weight on the liquids. I want to go down to at least 150.

Hi,

I was banded on April 18th and I'm actually feeling good. Very little pain and discomfort. Really no gas or shoulder pains like the others. I decided to be banded after several years of dieting, excercising, and numerous pills. My last weigh in before being banded was 235 (5'5) and two week post op weigh in was at 221. I have no regrets and I think that is largely due to me making this decision based on me and not what others thought or are thinking. Mind you... I only told my mother and boyfriend, because I didnt want to hear others opionions. I'm happy with the choice I've made and I'm looking forward to my future. I understand that I will have emotional melt downs and I've had a few already. But when I look back....I can honestly say that no one could have made this decision for you... you just know. So whatever decision you make...it sounds like your headed in the right direction. You're losing weight exercising and you will lose weight being banded.

Thanks for the comments truly helps :)

Hi Cesar,

I would never try to talk you into anything and am suportive of any decision you make. I had my surgery in March and I have no regrets. I lost 9 pounds on the liquid diet and had the same concerns as you but I came to my decision by realizing I would never be able to stay on a liquid diet forever and I'm getting older and my metabolism isnt going to get any better. I have only had one fill so I dont have much restriction but I feel like I can let go of some of that obsessing over food and calories. I still have to manage my portions because I dont have good restriction and you will definately have some mental and emotional issues because your mind will know you cant eat something but you will still want it and try to have it. I have almost completely written off any fast food because it is a waste of money due to the small portions I can eat and most fast food makes me sick. I havent lost enormous amounts of weight (like my best friend has) but I have freed my mind and spirit of the constant calorie counting and obsessing. I am back to working out 5 days a week and feel great (I have had to make some adjustments to keep my energy level). I feel great and I honestly feel like this was a good decision and one of the best tools I will ever have. When I actually have restriction I anticipate dropping weight quickly but even if I dont I can promise I won't gain anymore weight and that makes it worth it. I hope you come to a decision that brings you peace my friend.