Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does it "usually" take people to get approved?

So I've been reading other peoples topics and their blogs and I've come to a conclusion; most people don't really know how insurance places work, well some do. But anyways, does anyone really know how long it takes for the APPROVAL of this life changing event takes place?

I know it's different for each insurance place and the person but just as a prediction. I'm extremely curious. I have yet to even start the process but I'm the type of person who likes to have everything, and I mean everything, planned out with tiny loopholes.

So if anyone can make an educated guess or when they went through the process, how long did it take for you to be approved?

Hi......I'm sorry I dont have an answer for you but I just wanted you to know that I too am trying to start the process. I am excited and when I get excited about something I cant wait for it to happen, so I know I will be getting frusterated waiting on others to get back to me..........for instance, today I called my doctor to make an appointment and they didnt call me back. I was however in the chat room today and I mentioned that i hadnt started the process and someone said it will go fast.........so we shall see. Take care

It's really dependent on the insurance company; I had approval within 48 hours of the final paperwork being submitted. For some people it takes weeks. Not really a concrete answer for that one; sorry.

I too, am a newbie and have not yet started the process. I called a few doctors which are covered by my insurance and I have to attend a manditory seminar before either Dr will set up a consultation. So, I go on 5 Jan for the seminar. The receptionist told me that I could be seen a early as the next day since they are pretty slow right now. I'm exactly like Bubbles where I'm so excited I can't wait and get frustrated if I dont get things rolling fast enough. I'm very curious to see how long from start to surgury it will take, especially since I'm ready for surgery NOW and don't want to wait til March or April for my date, but sometimes we have no other options. What is the process??? I hear we have to go through a psyche eval and nutritionist appts?? How long do those take?

It took me a month and a half from seminar to surgery. I had nutritionist, psych, testing, doctor, etc visits all in that time. It only took a few days for insurance approval.

I "had" high colesterol. Submitted info to the insurance Co. was approved within 2 weeks. (MEDICA)

My insurance wanted nutritionist & psych exams then wanted the last 5 years of my weight... I started the process in may and really drug my feet and did all my test in Dec.. All my paperwork was turn in on the 22nd & I'm still waiting.. the only issue I have is my insurance changed on the 1st so most likely I will have to do all this over again.

After you submit all of your paperwork...it takes from 24 hours up to 8 weeks for approval. there is definitely no answer. But let me tell you i am at the end of this road...about to complete my last pcp visit next week...and let me just say the past 6 months FLEW by. the key is to make the apts and dont stop. start the apts right away - do 2-3 apts a month until you complete. IT FLYS BY!!!!! and make sure you are always calling your surg. to make sure they received the paperwork every time a dr. faxes to them. keep on top of your dr.s and insurance company. call your ins company and ask all the questions you need to upfront so there is no surprises in the end.

For me the whole process took 3 months. My surgery date is jan. 26th. I have a timeline on my blog if u want to check it out!

As far as approval for the actual surgery, it was 2 or 3 days.

Good luck!

So I've been reading other peoples topics and their blogs and I've come to a conclusion; most people don't really know how insurance places work, well some do. But anyways, does anyone really know how long it takes for the APPROVAL of this life changing event takes place?

I know it's different for each insurance place and the person but just as a prediction. I'm extremely curious. I have yet to even start the process but I'm the type of person who likes to have everything, and I mean everything, planned out with tiny loopholes.

So if anyone can make an educated guess or when they went through the process, how long did it take for you to be approved?

Hey Stacey I went to my initial consult with the sugeon on 11/23 and had all my testing completed by 12/22....primary doc appt, eval and letter of support, psych eval, nutrition eval, cardiologist clearance, pulmonologist clearance, sleep study, barium swallow, chest x ray, and I had to quit smoking. I was so determined to get everything done before new years. My paperwork was submitted today to insurance and I was told a few days to two weeks for approval. I hope this helps...good luck

Jamie

Oh and 5 year weight loss history chart and proof of non surgical attempts @ weight loss...I made copies of old weightwatchers weigh in booklet, they said that was fine....

I have BCBSNC - once my doctor submitted the notes regarding my weight history I was approved within 24 hours. I had no problems.

Thank you all for your replies!! I actually have been jumping thru hoops all last week with my health insurance (BCBS-Fed) and discovered that their website has a lot of incorrect info. So, in the end I found a doctor and a facility and actually have my appt with him today. They do it all at one place, meaning the psych eval, nutrition eval, blood work, etc like a one stop shop. My appt is in a few hours so I'll post how it goes. I also obtained my previous 5 year medical records....my only concern is that the highest weight it has for me is not nearly as fat as I am now. Well that matter? I sure hope not.

Thank you all for your replies!! I actually have been jumping thru hoops all last week with my health insurance (BCBS-Fed) and discovered that their website has a lot of incorrect info. So, in the end I found a doctor and a facility and actually have my appt with him today. They do it all at one place, meaning the psych eval, nutrition eval, blood work, etc like a one stop shop. My appt is in a few hours so I'll post how it goes. I also obtained my previous 5 year medical records....my only concern is that the highest weight it has for me is not nearly as fat as I am now. Well that matter? I sure hope not.

One stop shop would be nice. I had to go quite a few places due to my insurance (Tricare) It took me from August to Jan. My PCM (doctor) drug his feet and wanted me to try this weight loss program he offered at his clinic. So I went for sake of argument. Didn't loose any weight and he signed my surgical clearance in Nov. I wanted to wait til after the holidays and start the new year out on a different change of pace.

Good luck with your process.