Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been banded for three years and have lost 120 pounds. I just turned 61. My hair is significantly thinning and I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. My doctor says it is a combination of age and nutrition (or lack thereof). I have not been good about getting my Protein in and I am afraid I am paying the price now.

If anyone has experienced Hair loss, do you know if increasing Protein intake will help new Hair growth and reduce loss -- or am I going to be a bald old lady?!:smile2:

I've been banded for three years and have lost 120 pounds. I just turned 61. My hair is significantly thinning and I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. My doctor says it is a combination of age and nutrition (or lack thereof). I have not been good about getting my Protein in and I am afraid I am paying the price now.

If anyone has experienced Hair loss, do you know if increasing Protein intake will help new Hair growth and reduce loss -- or am I going to be a bald old lady?!:smile2:

I've been banded since the 19th of Jan 2011 so nothing has happened so far, but my identical twin sis had the Ru-N-Y done about three years ago and she's lost a lot of hair and now wear wigs we're 66 and both diabetics...not sure if that has anything to do with it...I too have been drinking Protein drinks in hopes I won't lose my hair.< /strong>

How long did you have to wait for your first fill and other then Protein Drinks what else can I take, I'm still in the full liquid diet stage.

Congrats on your weight loss what is your goal?

Hugs twnbrn2nd

I've been banded since the 19th of Jan 2011 so nothing has happened so far, but my identical twin sis had the Ru-N-Y done about three years ago and she's lost a lot of hair and now wear wigs we're 66 and both diabetics...not sure if that has anything to do with it...I too have been drinking Protein drinks in hopes I won't lose my hair.< /strong>

How long did you have to wait for your first fill and other then Protein Drinks what else can I take, I'm still in the full liquid diet stage.

Congrats on your weight loss what is your goal?

Hugs twnbrn2nd

Love bn a twin too. 62. But, my twin doesn't need surgery. I was banded June 7, 2012.

My sister had the full gastric bypass 2 1/2 years ago and her hair ha been thinning. She went to my preop visit for my Lapland with plication with me and asked about Hair loss. My doctor told her to get some zinc. She just started it so not sure of the results yet.

Protein, Biotin and zinc are said to be the keys to helping with Hair loss. But I have heard it takes months to turn things around.

A year after surgery, I realized my hair had thinned drastically, but i got it growing back again w Biotin twice a day, high dose. Inexpensive at Swansonvitamins.com. Took about 6 mos for me, i'm 66 w hypothroid disease, but i think it was the anesthetic for sure, coupled with the 6 mos loss of 60 lbs..

Thank you, I finally found someone with this Hair loss problem, I have lost Patches of hair this summer and I think it is finally growing back with Vitamins supplements vit b vit d and such, I don't think anyone told me about the hair loss side effects, scary! I really don't want to wear a wig.

I was banded in April of 09 and have lost 82 lbs and kept it off, I feel so good and just want to take care of myself. I am so thankful for the chewable Gummy vit and Calcium now, I really had a phobia about pill size and didn't like the chewable grainy stuff.

Protein' date=' Biotin and zinc are said to be the keys to helping with hair loss. But I have heard it takes months to turn things around.[/quote']

I made sure I stayed on Biotin, which I have been on for years, because of anesthetic aftermath. I have not had hair thinning. I was banded July 25, 2012 and am 69 years young ;)

I made sure I stayed on Biotin' date=' which I have been on for years, because of anesthetic aftermath. I have not had hair thinning. I was banded July 25, 2012 and am 69 years young ;)[/quote']

AND... Yes, thank goodness for Gummy's! I hate pills and always had a problem getting them down. Have you noticed many many Vitamins and supplements for adults are Gummy type or chewables? YES! Manufacturers have heard our call. My Dr. Did say that any pills the size if an ordinary aspirin or smaller is OK to swallow, once banded. Some Rx meds do not come in liquid form, such as METFORMIN. It was horrid swallowing that stuff ground up, as it is Very bitter.