Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Older Ladies - have a question

It's a little personal, but....

I was having night sweats and occasional day sweats prior to my surgery. Once I had surgery, I was blessedly free of hot flashes!

Now they have come back with a vengeance. :)

Anyone else have them take a break while their body was healing?

I've searched the site and couldn't find any posts on this subject.:huh2:

It's a little personal, but....

I was having night sweats and occasional day sweats prior to my surgery. Once I had surgery, I was blessedly free of hot flashes!

Now they have come back with a vengeance. :)

Anyone else have them take a break while their body was healing?

I've searched the site and couldn't find any posts on this subject.:huh2:

Each of us are so different with our meno symptoms. I personally have hot flashes on a daily basis (and nightly) for about 7-8 months and then I get a reprieve where I only have them once a day for about three months. I have been on this schedule for about 7 yrs. I did not notice a difference in my hot flashes due to the LB surgery or any other surgery.

I am a hot sweat expert!! Starting on Tamoxifen following my breast cancer, it threw me into "instant menopause". My doctor started me on clonidine 0.1 mg every night. It is a miracle drug.

I noticed last summer that over-doing the sodium had a great effect on the intensity and the amount of hot-flashes I got. I picked up my old "salting" habit last summer for a bit and the hotflashes came back and then some. Laid off the salt...all is fine.

I wish I could find something to ease them other than tearing my clothes off and lying on the tile floor. I'm only 43 but have instant menopause thanks to pelvic radiation and chemo. They're misery. I've been up since 3 am due to a particularly bad night sweat and I'm bug eyed with exhaustion but its school holidays so no hope of a nap. A break is a nice thing, whilst unexplainable, I guess just enjoy it while it lasts.

personally, I'm not willing (yet) to take any medication for it, I hate taking medication for anything and I'm having chemo which i think is enough for my body. I'm also not willing to look into the HRT option, just too risky. So there's little left to do but suck it up hope they dont go on for years.

I had Endometrial Cancer and after radiation when told I was in remission my Oncologist put me on Vivelle Dot. Medium Dose.

I have noticed a correlation between my hot flashes and sugar/chocolate consumption. If I eat sweets I get overwhelmingly warm about an hour or two later.

I had an early menopause brought on by cancer treatment - OMG it was HORRIBLE. The hot flashes, I would get major panic attacks with them, and want to rip my clothes off. At home, I did rip my clothes off!

It upset my sleep markedly too I was absolutely bug eyed, totally depressed, having major sugar cravings, etc. I went onto HRT. I know the risks, but I'm only 44, have early osteoporosis, was miserable and not coping with the menopause symptoms. HRT has been an absolutely life saver for me, I will be on it for a long time yet. I also had to start testosterone treatment and THAT was incredible. That's the fountain of youth. It took away all the aches and pains, the belly weight gain, the declining libido, the mood issues.

The little break you had might just be a coincidence, I think a more natural menopause can sort of come and go, cant it?

My husband is going through treatment for prostrate cancer. He has to take female hormone shots. I think it is funny that is going through hot flashes with me, although he has a medicine that can make them less severe. I think all men should go through a hot flash at least once. He now sees what I've been going through for a couple of years. Unfortunately we are freezing our daughter out of the house.

Bless you and your understanding husband, ILUVMATH! I wish him best of luck with his prostate cancer. I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 32. I had hot flashes for about 1 week after them..Then had some mild flashes in my 50-60's. I owuld never say that I have experienced what most people talk about. Best wishes to everyone who is experiencing hot flashes. Karen

oh gosh, mine have, I was great for 9 months and then I turned 50 last week and boom hot flashes/anxiety whatever it hit me. I sweat , my hair literally gets drenched, And I agree with some of the ladies, sometimes it is due to our diet. I might be pushing the sugar button but never thought of the salt one. Will have to be more careful thank you ladies. A few years ago I can remember talking to an older lady she had to be in her 70-80s about them, and she just laughed, "oh yes I remember those, are you in for some fun!" but they do stop after 20-25 years...

Good luck all

They say if you want to know how you will feel going through menopause that we should ask our mothers... I did and she said..., oh for heavens sake- just buy a fan!!! Thanks ma

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

They say if you want to know how you will feel going through menopause that we should ask our mothers... I did and she said..., oh for heavens sake- just buy a fan!!! Thanks ma
Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I started my change at 40 years old and after 2 months of hot flashes and crying for no apparent reason, I chose to go on hormone pills from the gynecologist and stayed on them for about 8 years. when I got off of them all the flashes and mood swings were gone. I cannot believe that anybody would suffer with hot flashes and mood swings when with today's modern medicine you do not need to suffer. Stay cool and enjoy life without sweating things out!!