Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is your port noticeable when you reach goal weight?

I just had surgery last week (Oct 14). I was a self pay because I had a low BMI (35). I know it's still early and I'm swollen, but my port is sticking out big time. I carried my weight pretty well (210 lbs), but I'm wondering if my port will stick out even more when I lose more weight. What if I get really skinny and have 6pack ABS (I know, I can dream) will the port be totally noticeable? I am really worried about this. I did a lot of research before the surgery, but I just didn't really think the port would be that noticeable. If I knew it was going to be a new addition to my belly, I would have opted for a different sugery (gastric plication).

I know, I know it is still early to freak out....but I'm just worried, because I didn't tell anyone about my surgery and it's going to be hard to hide come summer time in a bikini! (Yes, I know..i'm still dreaming).

Anybody have any input? Thanks

Did you get the low profile port or the standard size? I am getting my band 10/21 and will betting the low profile.

I suggested this to my dr and initially the nurse said he doesnt put those in initially. I really had to push. She eventually said customers ususally change them out during tummy tucks once they are at goal .

If you didnt get the low port you can always have it changed at a later date.

I did get the low profile port. It it the Realize 10cc port and I believe my doctor only uses the newer low profile ones.

I started with a BMI of 32 and my port is definitely noticable! It has gone down some since I'm not swollen anymore. At first I made a joke about getting a nipple tatooed on it and having a small 3rd boob! ONLY A JOKE!!

I carry most of my weight below the waist so I'm little through my middle. Its not as bad as you think. I wore a bikini last weekend and wasnt really concerned about it. I was more proud that I COULD wear a bikini!!! I've gone from a sz 14 or16 to an 8 or 10!!

I wasnt given the option of a low profile port...in fact, I didnt even know there was such a thing prior to surgery. My port is very close to the skin and to my ribs! My ribs actually make the port area sore if I sit a certain way. I asked my Dr about it sticking out and he said that its because theres not a lot of fat covering it.

You can always have a revision surgery and have the port moved later. I just had mine moved and don't know where it is now.

It used to stick out bad too

@AlienBandit

Thank you for the response, but yes I know I can get it fixed if I pay for it. Since I'm a self pay, I'm already out the money from the surgery. I certainly didn't expect to have to pay more money for it to be fixed when it shouldn't be sticking out like an alien in the first place. I just posted this because I wanted to see if anyone else was having the same problem and if it gets worse as you lose weight.

This is something I am curious about too. I am considering the lap band have already consulted with a surgeon. My BMI is right at 30 and I have had a Tummy Tuck and the port sticking out is the one issue that the Dr. said he thought I might not be happy about as it may stick out farther than I might expect. I hadn't even thought about that and am glad that he brought it up and told me to do more research and check out that aspect prior to making my decision. So he was very upfront about it.

I have felt a port through someones clothes, but haven't seen how much they stick out. Is it more of a bump or a protrusion that is REALLY noticeable?

This is something I am curious about too. I am considering the LAP-BAND® have already consulted with a surgeon. My BMI is right at 30 and I have had a Tummy Tuck and the port sticking out is the one issue that the Dr. said he thought I might not be happy about as it may stick out farther than I might expect. I hadn't even thought about that and am glad that he brought it up and told me to do more research and check out that aspect prior to making my decision. So he was very upfront about it.

I have felt a port through someones clothes, but haven't seen how much they stick out. Is it more of a bump or a protrusion that is REALLY noticeable?

Here is my stomach before my mini tummy tuck

The End is Coming! The End is Coming + Pre Tummy Tuck Photos

My doctor more fixed my belly button and got rid of some hanging skin below my belly button so now I have some dead space where my port used to be. It is now under my muscles.

Thanks for the quick responses and the pics. You both look great! Another question that I have is: do you feel that the port sticking out is worth having the lap band procedure? I am leaning toward that it is worth it.

@GalaxyGal

Yes, it does stick out like a bump right now and I know it's going to get worse as I lose the weight. I thought I did enough research prior to getting the surgery, but I guess I never heard people complain. I now really regret getting the lap band and wish I got the gastric plication. I know I will eventually lose weight with the lapband, but really hate the idea of having this port stick out even more. It is just going to give me something else to be self conscious about.

@AlienBandit

You look fantastic....but OMG! Is that what my port is going to look like? Why didn't I see these type of pictures before my surgery? Damn!!!

I guess some people are just lucky with their ports and some people are the unlucky ones with "aliens" sticking out. You never know how your body will react. I still hate that I'm the unlucky one. I guess I have to start saving up money now so I can afford to get it fixed next year!

Edited by RoxyChick

Thanks for the quick responses and the pics. You both look great! Another question that I have is: do you feel that the port sticking out is worth having the LAP-BAND® procedure? I am leaning toward that it is worth it.

A little bump for me to be healthy..... hmmm I'll take it. Though having said that I have tried to find ways to lose the bump.

You doc can move the port after some time to a better place. I can't tell where mine is now unless I lie down and poke around for my heart beat.

Gosh, I'd take the bump any day over being fat as I was.

Mine makes a very distinct round lump, andits very hard to feel. You can feel some of the tubing too. I *might* swap it over for a low profile port but then I have to wait for the scar to heal and then fade too. After five years, my scars are pretty hard to see.

Seriously, the port is only one sign of your being overweight - even when you get out of loose skin fairly lightly like I did there are signs all over your body that you were once fat. You need to accept that you wont be perfect. I have this little bit of wrinkled skin in my elbows that drives me nuts and whilst I dont have batwings, the skin looks strange, just not quite right. My breasts are completely wrecked, my stomach is a little loose and my thighs are too.

None of it is what I would consider bad enough for PS and I look fine dressed. I'm not putting a downer on things but you do need to be prepared - you will have a port lump, you will have some scars and you will probably have some loose skin.

Its all better than being obese.

Its all better than being obese.

That is exactly what I am thinking. And so true on your other points in your post. Thanks for the feedback.

I understand what everybody is saying and you are right that a "little bump" is better than being obese, but mine is not "little" by any means.

I've spent years hiding my weight by wearing baggy clothes. Everything I wear right now is black and baggy. So I am looking forward to losing the weight so I can wear clothes that fit. I want to be proud of the way I look in form fitting clothes, but I'm not going to feel great wearing fit clothes with a bump sticking out of my stomach. It is just going to make me want to start wearing baggy clothes all over again!

I guess what I really mean to say is that losing weight is hard, so when you lose weight you want to feel good about the way you look.

Some people may not care about their little bumpy, but I do! Or maybe I feel a little more self-conscious about my body than others. I just see a long future of fills and un-fills ahead of me before I can get little bumpy moved.