Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain meds after surgery

What pain meds did they give you and did they work? how much pain were you after surgery and how long did it last? from a scale from 1-10 10 being the worst pain ever how would u rate it?

I'm a big baby with liquid medicine... at 31 I still can't force myself to swallow a spoonful of robitussin... blech...

I got a liquid form of vicodin, and it was nasty! I used it for 4 days regularly, and then just twice a day for a few more days. After a week I was ok with just chewable jr. tylenol (160 mg each so 6 counts for a dose...). They do make a liquid adult tylenol but it's cherry flavor... the worst kind of liquid medicine flavor for me! Makes me gag just smelling it... didn't want to be gagging and wretching while recovering!

I take vicodin (hydrocodone) for my back so I was comfortable with the pain meds.

And it did hurt. When i woke up in recovery I thought something had surely gone wrong! Got the max dose of morphine before I could even breathe without the nurses constantly telling me to breathe. But within a few hours the pain wasn't as bad. I'd call it a 10 for those first couple of hours, a 7 by the end of the first day, and a 4-6 for the next few days. By day 5 I was feeling pretty good.

I prepared for the worst... I had a hard time after my gallbladder surgery and I expected the same with this, but I was pleasently surprised!!

I was given Dilaudid (good stuff, btw LOL) and used it for 4 days and then I was fine. So out of a bottle of 50 pills I took 4 I believe. I only used them at night when I had some discomfort laying down to go to sleep; other than that the pain is very bearable. I'd say a 2 or 3.

They gave me liquid vicodin. I forgot I hate vicodin. It makes me feel sick and gives me a headache. I took it the first night after surgery and didn't take any more.

I would say the pain wasn't too bad at all. Maybe a 4 ?

I didn't think the pain was bad at all - the "worst" of it is the gas/air. <---which can be taken care of by Gas X and walking.

Maybe a 2-3?

I've given birth and broken my leg, nothing compares to those! LOL

Mild pain I used about 3 loratab during rcovery period. You will feel uncomfortable but I would not classify it as painful..............

I have a low pain tolerance but when they asked if I need some pain relief when I woke up in recovery, I said 'no'. Didn't need any the rest of the afternoon but I figured I might need the prescription they sent me home with. I didn't. I was back at work for 4 hours the next day. Then full-time the day after that.

May all surgeries be so easy and painless.