Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI over 50 - In it for the long haul

I am in the same boat. My sugery is 10/22/10 and I started at 56 and need to lose 30-40 pounds. I am doing shakes and low carb. I have lost 22 pounds in the past 4 weeks and started exercising. It has be hard and so not fun. what has helped me is keeping a blog about the process to keep me acountable and focused. I know you are post op now so how did it go?

Ive been on a Low Cal diet now for 5 weeks and have lost 34 pounds. The Doc told me thursday that I just need to lose 17 pounds before Surgery.

Hi - I started this thread when I found out what my BMI was back in Aug. (I think) and knew I was going to have to lose some weight before my surgeon would even do the surgery.

(How ironic -- the insurance co said they would qualify me if I was over BMI of 50 and the surgeon wouldn't do it until I got it under 50, they said. Catch 22!)

Well, to make a long story short, I got down enough for the surgeon to place my band -- barely; my final weigh-in was 2 days before and I was just under the line. My band was placed last Wed. 9-29 and so it's a done deal.

Let me just encourage you to keep at it. One thing they told me and I found to be true was that the liquid diet before surgery started to take my focus off food. Every morning when I woke up I knew there would be no "delicious" options, but there would be options that would keep me healthy and strong. So, since the options were only what flavor of Protein shake I would have, I didn't spend my day manipulating my time so I would be able to find opportunities for eating out, dessert, Cookies, etc. That has been a helpful thought process and one I need to continue to train for the rest of my life.

I am not hungry with my band (no fill yet; still some surgical swelling and pain) but that doesn't mean I don't want to eat. Every time I see a commercial or hubby's food, I want it, but knowing it would probably get stuck keeps me on the right track.

I start mushies in a few days and have decided I will need to make a food journal or I'm sure I'll want a mushie dish every hr. (Although, they're small -- about 1/2 c in a serving seems to be what I can handle.)

So, hope that give you a little encouragement to make it through till your surgery date. Besides losing weight, you're learning to rethink eating and if we could do that, we'd be in much better shape and get better use of our band, wouldn't we?

Best wishes -- I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if I can? (I'm posting my questions on another thread, so I sure don't know everything -- even much!)

Debbie

Hi - I started this thread when I found out what my BMI was back in Aug. (I think) and knew I was going to have to lose some weight before my surgeon would even do the surgery.

(How ironic -- the insurance co said they would qualify me if I was over BMI of 50 and the surgeon wouldn't do it until I got it under 50, they said. Catch 22!)

Well, to make a long story short, I got down enough for the surgeon to place my band -- barely; my final weigh-in was 2 days before and I was just under the line. My band was placed last Wed. 9-29 and so it's a done deal.

Let me just encourage you to keep at it. One thing they told me and I found to be true was that the liquid diet before surgery started to take my focus off food. Every morning when I woke up I knew there would be no "delicious" options, but there would be options that would keep me healthy and strong. So, since the options were only what flavor of Protein shake I would have, I didn't spend my day manipulating my time so I would be able to find opportunities for eating out, dessert, Cookies, etc. That has been a helpful thought process and one I need to continue to train for the rest of my life.

I am not hungry with my band (no fill yet; still some surgical swelling and pain) but that doesn't mean I don't want to eat. Every time I see a commercial or hubby's food, I want it, but knowing it would probably get stuck keeps me on the right track.

I start mushies in a few days and have decided I will need to make a food journal or I'm sure I'll want a mushie dish every hr. (Although, they're small -- about 1/2 c in a serving seems to be what I can handle.)

So, hope that give you a little encouragement to make it through till your surgery date. Besides losing weight, you're learning to rethink eating and if we could do that, we'd be in much better shape and get better use of our band, wouldn't we?

Best wishes -- I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if I can? (I'm posting my questions on another thread, so I sure don't know everything -- even much!)

Debbie

congrats on your surgery and your success....i started out with a BMI of 62 myself...