Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July banders-work together

I was banded on Thursday, July 22nd. That first day I was in some pain but even by that evening I was starting to feel a little better. Mine was a required overnight stay, which I was grateful for as I don't think I was ready to go home until the next day. The first couple of days were hard. I cried a few times. It was hard to even get Water down, let alone the 4 ounces of Soup broth. But then after a few days it got easier and by like day 5 I was actually starting to feel hungry. My stomach was growling so much it hurt so day 6 I went ahead and started week 2, which was grits, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. The grits were like heaven! Even though I could only eat a little at a time it was so nice to eat something that tasted good and I was also happy that I was actually hungry. I ate grits and oatmeal for a few days with a couple of Protein Shakes here and there. Then I decided to go ahead and "graduate" myself to mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. Yippee! I was actually eating! But after 2 days of mashed potatoes I decided they really weren't helping me to lose weight, nor providing the Protein that I needed. So I moved up to cottage cheese, even though that was a week 3 food and I was still only a couple of days in to week 2, I went ahead because I wanted to eat protein rich foods so I could stop drinking protein shakes as they were grossing me out and I was having to force them down. The cottage cheese went well so this past weekend I decided to add tuna salad and crackers. I am such a rebel! But those went fine. I am always very careful to take very small bites and watch the clock and take 2 minutes between bites and that seems to really help. The water has been easier and easier to drink, I think I am finally up to getting around the 64 ounces in each day. I had lost a total of 15 pounds from the 3 day pre op liquid diet and not eating after surgery, but now I have gained 4 of those pounds back. Which is crazy to me since I eat no more than 6 ounces of food at a time and I really do only eat 3 times a day. Yesterday I had one scrambled egg and some grits for Breakfast, I know it was a little more than I will be able to eat once I get filled, but still way less than what I used to eat. Plus, I drink nothing but water. Lots and lots of water. For some reason the more I drink water, the more I crave it. (I never used to drink water, only soda and tea) But I know once I get my fill, hopefully the weight will start coming off more quickly. I went back to work 6 days after the surgery and I can say that right now I feel great. No complications (knock on wood) and things seem to be progressing on the food chart quite nicely. This weekend I am going to eat some lobster and crab legs. I can't wait! So there is light at the end of the tunnel ladies! Don't get discouraged. It will be here before you know it. Good luck to all of us that decided to take this journey!

Thanks Robecca. I am on day 5 and still having pain and discomfort when I drink or eat anything...I want to know that is normal..I thought at least Iwould be able to drink Water by now!! nothing seems to satisfy me and nothing makes me feel good after eating or drinking it...is this normal??

I can't say what is "normal" as I think each person has a unique experience. However, I can say that by day 5 I was feeling much better and ready to eat something. I did not have pain or discomfort from eating or drinking at that point. But you might take just a little longer to heal. I would give it a few more days. If you still aren't feeling like eating anything within about 3 or 4 more days, and still feeling pain and discomfort from eating and drinking I would definitely consult your doctor about it. Good luck!

I don't know how normal that is, Nicole...I could drink my Soups and Water and stuff the very next day...In fact I had a wee bit of broth that night of the surgery. I don't know if I'm one of the lucky ones or if you are one of the unlucky ones (depends on what is more common, I suppose). I guess it also depends on whether your doc filled your band a little to begin with. Maybe yours did and mine did not...

You may want to call the doc just to give them an update. I don't think you are in any danger or are that unusual of a case, but they may have some suggestions for you...or at least alleviate your worries.

I made myself walk after work today, I didn't feel like it. I had one of those days at work that I wanted to quit. But I came home cooked for the kids and had scramble eggs and cream of wheat for dinner and went for my walk.

I am determine to make this work and It's only been 3 weeks and my body feels so much better.

So as the say just but "one foot in front of the other" and soon your walk will be done.. While it works for me.

Alright my banded buddies!! I went to the dr. this morning and I lost 16lbs since my surgery last friday!!! 16 friggin lbs!! and that was not even the most exciting part. I went in a day early from my post checkup because of all the pain and discomfort Iv been having. The last straw was when I was drinking some Water last night and my stomach just go to cramped up!! and I was miserable..i just kepting thinking of how that didnt feel right. The doctor said that was still normal to feel this way and that most people do feel better a week out but some, like me, still have cramping. he was not concerned but he did decide to see if there was any Fluid in my band that had got left in there when they tested it. I know some people get a small fill during surgery but my dr. doesnt do that. well well well....he ended up getting 2cc's out! he said that was more than normally left in there and that it could be part of the problem of why Im having all that added discomfort. I havnt eat anything yet today but still have some cramping even after he took it out but I hope that as the day goes I can eat and drink without so much cramping!! I will keep you all posted!

Hi Everyone,

I would love to join this thread! I was banded on July 22. The surgery for me was a piece of cake but I had a MAJOR reaction to the codeine in my pain medicine and threw up for two days - ugh! I did have HORRIBLE gas pains too in my left shoulder and side. It was almost unbearable. Everyone always says gas pain is the worst part of the surgery and they were RIGHT!

My large incision where the port is is a little tender and all of the incisions are itching.

My main concern right now is how many calories I should be eating. I know you don't want to eat too little b/c your body will go into starvation mode but I want to lose weight too. I'm not going to lie - I'm hungry! I can only eat about 1/6 of what I used to eat but I'm not really feeling restriction yet. I haven't had any trouble with any foods yet.

Also, I noticed a lot of you saying you drink Protein shakes. I'm not doing that at all...shoudl I be? Now I'm worried.

I can't wait to get to know you all better as we travel this journey together.

Have a great evening!

Welcome NCG!!! Yes you should be drinking Protein Shakes or at least getting alot of Protein a day. I a not the best to preach on this cause finally a week later Im getting some relief from pain and discomfort so will start pushing my protein shakes more now. they sell that at the clinic I go to and they are pretty good. Just mix with Water. sounds like your worse pain is over sorry you went through he pain medicine issue.

Hey Nikki

My surgery was on July 30th as well and I'm moving on to liquidy soft foods. Taking deep breaths is what is getting me and I feel like I have a catch in my back. I'm sure that's gas. ugh.

Hi everybody. My name is Joyce I live in Newark, NJ and was banded and hital hernia repair 7/21 and stayed one night had to do test in the morning.

I had no pain after surgery but was very tired. Port site did not want to close so I was put on Amoxicillin w/Calavuante which gave me a very bad sore throat. Port site still not closing so they put me on Bactrim and now have hives. After three doses had to stop and the site is now healing.

I did the two week pre-op of clear, started a few days earlier. Post-op 5 days of clear, 3 weeks of puree. I can have 2oz for each of the 3 meals and 3 4oz protien shakes.

I had my gallblader removed in 6/87. Last year I was diagnoised with H. Pylori and Hep A. I got them from eating fish, which came from dirty Water. I can't get them or pass them to anyone.

As of this morning I have lost 30.8lbs.

I have two questions :

1. Is anybody burping alot?

2. Do you have a bad taste in your mouth that makes some food taste bad?

Hey all

I was banded on 7/28 so I am a week out of surgery. I have to say that for the first 3 days, the pain was crazy. My grammy always told me that gas will lodge ANYWHERE in the body and it did. But I am feeling better now...especially since I have been able to pass gas(lol...sorry). I am so tired of drinking and it does not help that my mommy lives with me and is a really good cook and I am dying to eat it. But I am just trying to be "mind over matter" . I go for my two week appt next wednesday and I cant wait so that I can be in the "mushies". But I do think that we that are tired of liquids need to just deal. I feel that if I was to eat now, I would go crazy. so I am just giving myself some time. I may make some mashed potatoes tonight and just try a few ounces. I do feel like the swelling has gone down so I may try. I am just really really thirsty so I am just trying to get my fluids in and will be knocking out my Protein in the morning...I am also tired of the sugar free stuff...to me it is SWEETER that the regular sugar stuff. But this is what we signed up for so we gotta do what we gotta. I am praying for strength for all of us.

Be Blessed!:)

Hi everybody. My name is Joyce I live in Newark, NJ and was banded and hital hernia repair 7/21 and stayed one night had to do test in the morning.

I had no pain after surgery but was very tired. Port site did not want to close so I was put on Amoxicillin w/Calavuante which gave me a very bad sore throat. Port site still not closing so they put me on Bactrim and now have hives. After three doses had to stop and the site is now healing.

I did the two week pre-op of clear, started a few days earlier. Post-op 5 days of clear, 3 weeks of puree. I can have 2oz for each of the 3 meals and 3 4oz protien shakes.

I had my gallblader removed in 6/87. Last year I was diagnoised with H. Pylori and Hep A. I got them from eating fish, which came from dirty Water. I can't get them or pass them to anyone.

As of this morning I have lost 30.8lbs.

I have two questions :

1. Is anybody burping alot?

2. Do you have a bad taste in your mouth that makes some food taste bad?

I which I could burp still have gas pain in my left shoulder, banded 7/14.

I don't have a bad taste either, maybe someone else will reply too.

Good Luck

Old habits die hard...I tried to eat some ww yogurt while driving home from work and the motion of the car made me nauseated.

I can drink my Protein shake ok on the way to work.

Anybody elese have issues like this?

I'm so glad to see this thread. I was banded late on July 30th, requiring over night visit. Some of the worse pain was in my throat, so it was definitly hard to get liquids down to start. But now almost 1 week out, my biggest complaint has to be some pain on the left side, plus the incisions are starting to itch like crazy. Liquids & Protein are going down well. Protein is harder to get down cause, like everyone else, I'm sick of the shakes. I have found Powerade zero has been my hero for a good change up from Water.

Good luck to everyone!!

Nicole, I'm so glad you went to the doc! I bet you'll be way more comfortable now! And your weight loss is awesome!

Yesterday and today I've been very headachey. I'm a big old wuss when it comes to headaches. I was having some software installed on my laptop for work today and while that was going on ended up taking about a 4 hr nap. I also have what feels like a 'stitch' in my side...lower left hand side below rib area. It started a bit yesterday and is worse today. I've been looking at the forums and it seems like it's fairly common and often attributed to gas.

I have my first post op check up tomorrow. Hopefully they tell me everything is fine...

Still uncomfortable to breathe deep.

Last night was my first true 'cry' night. The headache all day must have worn my butt down. My husband looked at me as I was laying on the couch and said, 'do you need a hug?' I answered, 'will you come to me or do I have to come to you?' Hahaha...He came to me and I cried for a few pitiful minutes and then was better. I may have to do it again tonight. I can already feel the lip extending, haha. It's the 5 yr old in me...kinda tired, not feeling great, pouty... :)

Yesterday and today I haven't been as good about my Protein...Still got at least 40 g, but not as much as I should.

Tomorrow is another day!! :)