Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

How do you feel about a mosque at "Ground Zero"?

Views
Started by loserbob, Jul 20, 2010 6:54 AM
129 replies to this topic
129 replies to this topic

BJean

Bariatric Legend

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted August 28, 2010 - 9:45 AM

Cleo'Mom: "Also, al-qaeda jihadists are not building the mosque and that's who attacked us on 9/11."

How do you know that, without any doubt?

ariscus99

Bariatric Guru

Posted August 28, 2010 - 12:07 PM

The fact that this is such an emotionally charged issue is one reason I jumped on the ban-the-mosque bandwagon. But the fact is that if I know that bad guy, Rupert Murdoch, has spearheaded the outrage, then I have to take a step back! He's the money behind the misrepresentations and lies that spew forth on the Fox network, better known as Faux News. And not just the Fox network, newspapers and magazine publications as well. And he certainly isn't the ONLY money or machine behind all of the anti-progressive, anti-democratic movement. He's a big part of it though. So I don't trust anything that uses him as a source of material, or money to distribute his material.

I do believe (without being very informed at all) that it is in poor taste to build a mosque in the neighborhood of the World Trade Center. Didn't someone say there's already one 4 blocks away? How many mosques are needed in Manhattan? I think Bloomberg (again, I'm merely guessing) is trying to be a big man and a kind man and a true blue Statue of Liberty thinking American by welcoming such a proposal. And that would be admirable if the wounds had healed and peace between our nations had been achieved.

But that is just not the case. We know that Islam and muslim terrorists are just as prevalent and out to do harm today as they were on 9/11. We are a kinder, gentler nation, but there needs to be some kind of kinder, gentler feelings that are afforded those of us who were so seriously affected by the terrorists who flew those planes into our towers.

And that is not to say that I am discriminating against all Muslems. That would be flat out ignorant. But in the context of 9/11 and all that is happening world wide with our military, it would not be an act that would go toward healing our nation and our relations with the middle eastern world. In fact, it could make Americans even more bitter and resentful and could backfire big time.

And as for Pearl Harbor, a Japanese tea garden would be fine there NOW that we've healed our relationship with Japan and so many years have passed - and we WON that WAR. But this is not the case with 9/11, Muslim terrorists, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan or the middle east in general.

We welcome Muslim refugees. We welcome those of middle eastern descent who wish to immigrate to the U.S. and join us in the fight against global terrorism and who want to become Americans and have a better life. But we must also be sensitive to our own people and the grief and stress that we still feel today because of those terrorist acts on 9/11.

If you cut out the unnecessary fox bashing(which is the most watched news station on tv today, so they must be doing something right), this post was mostly spot on.:) The tea garden at Pearl Harbor I'm gonna say there are still probably enough people who fought in WWII around who would think that is a terrible idea. It was actually a comparison made by my neighbor when we were talking about this(he was B-17 pilot in WWII) and he's still quite uncomfortable with anything Japanese being placed around Pearl Harbor. But that is just the opinion of one old man.

Edited by ariscus99, August 28, 2010 - 12:29 PM.

sagreenia

• Surgery Date: Aug 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
  • Starting Weight: 240 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 240 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 160 lbs
  • BMI: 45.3
Posted August 28, 2010 - 12:19 PM

Really well stated BJean, I think it gives me pause for thought. I guess if I had my way I would think that a mosque located just 4 blocks away is plenty and there is probably another place in the country that could use another religious bldg way more. When religions start to place thier bldgs for political impact or to make a point just shows what thier agenda is and it is not a place of worship where it is needed or serves the people who like to go there.

loserbob

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted August 28, 2010 - 3:19 PM

Really well stated BJean, I think it gives me pause for thought. I guess if I had my way I would think that a mosque located just 4 blocks away is plenty and there is probably another place in the country that could use another religious bldg way more. When religions start to place thier bldgs for political impact or to make a point just shows what thier agenda is and it is not a place of worship where it is needed or serves the people who like to go there.

I was hoping. I didnt think it would be this quick but your coming around!

Yah, no Jap anything near Pearl Harbor. My grandfather fought in WWII. There was no pol. correct bs back then. Lets at least respect the greatest generation by not caving in! Come on, Warner Bros. cant even put Bugz Bunny on TV because of the Pol correct bs of today! I wonder if we could put the Enola Gay in Hiroshima or Nagasaki!!!

loserbob

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted August 28, 2010 - 3:24 PM

The funny thing is I never thought of it that way. If theres already one 4 blocks away, whats the purpose of this one 2 blocks away? Now Im really pi$$ed. Maybe there is some truth about putting places of worship at sites they have conquered! I just cant remember anybody theyve conquered. Maybe thousands of years ago. I never had any interest in learning about Mesopotamia, the bread basket of the world bs, that was nap time for me!

Posted August 29, 2010 - 12:59 PM

Cleo'Mom: "Also, al-qaeda jihadists are not building the mosque and that's who attacked us on 9/11."

How do you know that, without any doubt?

If they are then we have lousy and ineffective intelligence. And that should be a bigger concern than all of this.

And as far as one mosque 4 blocks away being enough - well would only one catholic church within four blocks away be enough? Also, this building won't just be a mosque, it will be a community center with a library, swimming pool, etc..

Posted August 29, 2010 - 1:51 PM

I thought this letter to the editor made some very valid points while refuting those of a previous letter writer:

Who we are

In a recent letter, Susanne Kline of Mt. Lebanon states that a less emotionally sensitive location should be found for the proposed Cordoba House project in New York City, and that the issue is not Islamaphobia, but "common sense and decorum." She asks "when do those different from us need to be tolerant and accepting of us, our values, our traditions" and she states that a proposed Roman Catholic church in Mecca would encounter greater vitriol.

Ms. Kline must have a very narrow definition of "us." My understanding of America includes the belief that Muslims, in fact, are us, just as non-believers, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Jehovah's Witnesses and a long list of others are "us."
And, yes, a Roman Catholic church in Mecca would encounter greater vitriol, but this only makes America shine by example. Saudi Arabia is no democracy and does not even pretend to be, so the comparison is totally invalid.

As for common sense and decorum, if this was really the issue, the people who are protesting this project would be focusing their attention on the "gentleman's club" in the neighborhood. If this were any other group besides Muslims, conservatives would be defending private property rights for the building owners to build as they choose.

Finally, fortunately, here in the United States, our constitutional and civil rights do not depend on anyone's particular emotional sensitivity or personal definitions of "common sense and decorum;" these are subjective and can be used intentionally or unintentionally to foment fear of diversity and bigotry.
American religious freedom, in Thomas Jefferson's own words, was and is for "the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindu and the Infidel of every denomination."

Posted August 29, 2010 - 1:59 PM

Food for thought:

Sacred ground for Muslims

Jen Phillips in Mother Jones finds "the righteous outrage of those contending the former World Trade Center site is 'hallowed ground' amusing, because they have no idea just how right they are.
"Before the World Trade Center was even designed (with Islamic architectural elements, incidentally), the ground was indeed sacrosanct: The bones of some 20,000 African slaves are buried 25 feet below Lower Manhattan. As at least 10 percent of West African slaves in America were Muslims, it's not out of bounds to extrapolate that ground zero itself was built on the bones of at least a few Muslim slaves. That is to say, hallowed Muslim ground."

loserbob

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted August 29, 2010 - 6:52 PM

No one is asking that you go there or visit it or associate in any way with any Muslim or eat their food or accept them. But some people might want to and so what? People are very fickle. They need something to be angry about. Whether it's Obama, the mexican immigrants or now the Muslims in NYC (and elsewhere). It will be something else or someone else next week or next month. Remember when people hated France? Remember the stupid freedom fries? Turns out they were the smart ones not to be duped into bush's unnecessary war in Iraq.

Carl Paladino wants to do an eminent domain easement. Also I read on "Capitol Confidential" that when the mosque is built theyre going to put the faces of the terrorist hijackers on a wall built specifically for that reason! You can read about it at that site.

loserbob

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted August 29, 2010 - 6:58 PM

If they are then we have lousy and ineffective intelligence. And that should be a bigger concern than all of this.

And as far as one mosque 4 blocks away being enough - well would only one catholic church within four blocks away be enough? Also, this building won't just be a mosque, it will be a community center with a library, swimming pool, etc..

The Catholic church thing, 1 wouldnt be enough. This country is major majority christian. I wonder what the ratio of christians and places of worship is to Muslims to mosques in New York. Again Catholics didnt blow people up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Oct 20
    csdvsg

I am one week away from surgery. I am so scared. Its all I can think about :(

Show comments (4)
View All Updates