Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Time After Removal?

My band was placed May 2007 and I recently went to the doctor with reflux problems. He did an upper GI which showed no problems but also did an endoscopy which showed my band has eroded. :thumbup:

I am being scheduled for a removal this month, but I'm trying to get an idea of what to plan for in terms of recovery time. For those who have had their band removed:

1. How long were you in hospital?

2. How long did you recover at home before returning to work?

3. How long before you felt like yourself again?

Thanks,

Maryum

My band was placed May 2007 and I recently went to the doctor with reflux problems. He did an upper GI which showed no problems but also did an endoscopy which showed my band has eroded. :grouphug:

I am being scheduled for a removal this month, but I'm trying to get an idea of what to plan for in terms of recovery time. For those who have had their band removed:

1. How long were you in hospital?

2. How long did you recover at home before returning to work?

3. How long before you felt like yourself again?

Thanks,

Maryum

I was banded oct 10 2009 and my doc found a tiny bit of erosion feb 2010. We decided to remove the band to let my stomach fully heal. I had the band removed Feb 20th as well as had some Lipo on my stomach. I stayed in the hospital Saturday-Monday, stayed at home on Tuesday and went back to work on Wednesday.

I felt fine again almost as soon as the band was removed. I spent a week on liquids and after that everything was great.

I was told to wait 3 months for a new band but I waited 5 months instead and just got rebanded 3 days ago.

Thanks AlienBandit for the response - it seems like you were able to go back to work right away. I'm trying to figure out how much time to take off from work. I will not be getting another band, since my erosion is pretty bad I'm not eligible. I'm not sure I would want another one any way.. It hasn't been a bad journey with the band, but the cost and readjustment would be monumental. I have led an extremely active lifestyle since banding (currently training for a triathlon), so I'm hoping I can maintain my weight loss.

How does it feel to be re-banded?

Thanks AlienBandit for the response - it seems like you were able to go back to work right away. I'm trying to figure out how much time to take off from work. I will not be getting another band, since my erosion is pretty bad I'm not eligible. I'm not sure I would want another one any way.. It hasn't been a bad journey with the band, but the cost and readjustment would be monumental. I have led an extremely active lifestyle since banding (currently training for a triathlon), so I'm hoping I can maintain my weight loss.

I knew of someone that had very bad band erosion too. She had the surgery on a Sat, stayed at the hospital til the Wed and then went back to work the following Monday. I think 1-2 weeks should be good for recovery time unless your erosion is super super super bad. ( emergency removal case).

After removal you dont really feel any pain at all. A week after my surgery I went to a ski resort, had a massage, went drinking with friends etc. It was the Lipo I had to stay longer at the hospital for not the erosion. However if you are required to have a draining tube you must stay at the hospital min 5 days I believe.

It feels good to be rebanded just going through all the pains and such of the first week. I am back on my feet faster then last time but thats because I am experiencing different pain ( no gas more surgery pain).

I wish you the best in your journey.

Hi, just saw your port & am scheduled for band removal 7/22! When I had the band placed, I remember being very sore for about 2 weeks.. had to roll out of band, couldnt sit up from a lying down position.. I guess i want to know if it is the same pain you feel as when the band is placed vs having it removed.

Thanks!

My band was removed due to a hiatal hernia that made it impossible to properly adjust the band. So after going with it unfilled and gaining weight for months I opted to have the hiatal hernia repaired. The repair was extremely extensive requiring much mesh to fix. My surgeon didn't feel that it would hold with the band in place. We discussed beforehand that if that were the case I wanted to be sleeved (VGS). July 6th the band was removed, hiatal hernia repaired, and VSG. I went back to work partial days this week. Just not quite up to full days. Yesterday was two weeks from my surgery date. I know this isn't the same thing, but might give you some idea.

I had my lap band put in 6 years ago all was going well up until 3 weeks ago it started with a almighty pain in my lower back and then i started throwing up i thought i had a virus after 4 days my husband took me to hospital they gave me some iv fluids and sent me home that night i started throwing up what looked like coffee grounds my husband took me back to hospital the next morning the pain was almost at an out of body experience level the doctor suspected my band had a slippage but they were not equipped at the hospital to deal with it so i was airlifted to a major hospital after investigations it was confirmed i had a major slip the top of my stomach had fallen in twisted and torn [ mind you they dislocated myy jaw and chipped a tooth finding this out] I was transferred to a private hospital where i had the band removed surgery took about 3 hours where one of my lungs also collapsed the anethetist told me the next day he was shocked i was still alive they nearly had to airlift me to a bigger hospital mid surgery, the surgeon is now worried part of my stomach might have died so now it is wait and see i was in hospital for 8 days after surgery it is now 19 days since it was removed and I am still not 100% and not sre how much longer it will take!!!!

My band was removed on 7/22 & i am feeling much better now. The first day I was very sore but now am able to get up & walk.. my doctor said my opening with the band was 5mm, i guess that is why i had trouble eating chicken, meat, bread etc.. but could eat ice cream.. She did go down with a scope & my esophagus is fine.

I was actually able to eat salad for the first time in over a year & not throw up or get stuck.. My doc gave me no restrictions on foor for post op, just eat what i am able. m taking it slow for now.. stomach area pretty sore but feeling better evary day! i wil not be getting rebanded..

My band was removed on 7/22 & i am feeling much better now. The first day I was very sore but now am able to get up & walk.. my doctor said my opening with the band was 5mm, i guess that is why i had trouble eating chicken, meat, bread etc.. but could eat ice cream.. She did go down with a scope & my esophagus is fine.

I was actually able to eat salad for the first time in over a year & not throw up or get stuck.. My doc gave me no restrictions on foor for post op, just eat what i am able. m taking it slow for now.. stomach area pretty sore but feeling better evary day! i wil not be getting rebanded..

Glad your recovery went well! I am getting my band taken out soon after nearly 4 years! I also will not be getting rebanded or revising to another surgery.