Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does medicaid cover lapband surgery?

I called Dr . Maese today and I am going to the seminar on Thursday .. they told me that medicaid doesn't cover the lap band surgery but I called medicaid and they said they do if it is medically necassary. .. I am still researching this issue and I will keep you up dated as I find out more info ..

I did some research on this a few months back, and found that SOME states have Medicaid that will approve bariatric surgery (like South Carolina where it approves MANY) surgeries... But Maryland approves ZERO. Texas Medicaid approves some, but you have to have your doctors go to bat for you --- and then you are limited to the the number of available surgeons. So happy to hear that there is one in the Dallas area.

But to get back to Medicaid --- one thing I used to hear, again and again, is that Medicaid WILL approve traditional bypass surgeries --- but NOT LapBanding. This was so in South Carolina and Texas at that time. Understandable, given that we are still having to fight regular insurers to include it under covered procedures. Traditional ByPass surgeons often are fighting extending coverage to the Band, even tho it is an FDA approved device.

I wish you luck and look forward to finding out if you can indeed get approved!!!! Please keep us posted as I have a lot of people who will keep his schedule busy. :)

Theresa

i am in Pennsylvania......a state known for "hard to get coverage for surgeries". i have Medicaid and found a doc and hosp that accepts Medicaid.

Medicaid denied lap band but said they would cover g. bypass which i didn't want.

Because of my income, i was able to get a state pro bono lawyer....did lots of research....prayed a lot and Medicaid overturned my denial and i got coverage for lap band.

It was a fight.....for more details, you can email me.

Hope this encourages all who have this coverage.

cal

Can anyone tell me more about the clevland clinic. I live in sarasota area and I am on medicaid.

I am in Ny Long island and i have hip medicaid and dr geiss will take my insurance hes in syosset

i just want to let people know i have hip medicaid and they approve within a week :thumbup:

they pay for everything and there is no 6 month diet needed prior to surgery my insurance rocks

i just want to let people know i have hip medicaid and they approve within a week :thumbup:

they pay for everything and there is no 6 month diet needed prior to surgery my insurance rocks

Im n chicago n I have medicaid n they approved me n 2weeks. my surgery is nov 24th

I live in Fort Worth, Texas and I am over 300 pounds. I have medicaid and I want to know if it covers lap band surgery. I have heard all kinds of things but has any had surgery on medicaid in ft. worth tx.

Does anyone know who I can called for gastric bypass surgery that accepts Medicaid in New Orleans area? Thanks!!

I live in south texas, Im extreamly morbidly obese at 5ft 9 and 387lbs:ohmy:. does anyone know how to go about getting this(medicaid pay) done down here?:blushing: thanx