Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be careful with sleep aids. PM or Benedryl type stuff!

So for the last few months or so I was having a terrible plateau and when I was losing the scale was barely moving down. Had a fill and the same thing, even though I felt more restriction this time! So I have been going crazy because I am following the plan, exercising and have been using spark for my food journal...nothing has changed in that way at all. I have increased my work outs in recent as well! I have notice I am hungry at night and have been making great snack choices, nothing bad!

So anyway, I went for a 5 mile hike with my trainer yesterday and we got to talking. She just could not understand after reading my food and exercise journal why this was happening. (and talking how my weight loss has stopped....and actually now I am up four pounds)

So she asked me if I take any meds and I said no just Advil PM. She literally stopped in her tracks and said DUH! that stuff will do it to you every time. She said it is an appetite stimulant, you hold Water weight ( I am so feeling bloated which is what started the conversation in the 1st place) and it increases constipation! Anything with with diphenhydramine in it can cause weight gain, when using at night because it slows you down too much, and apparently effects your metabolism!

I started doing research and it is all over the net about this exact topic. I found this blog all about it!

Cranky Mommy

Anyway, I wanted to share just in case any of you use sleep aids or benedryl at night and your weight loss has not been exactly fast or slowing down. I have officially quit taking Advil and Tylenol PM as of tonight! And will certianly update you if the scale starts moving again.

I just feel horrible that this could have sabotaged all the hard work I have done, it has also slowed my progress down immensely considering I have been taking this for a few months. UUUGGHHHH at least I figured it out now instead of later....

She is incorrect that either ibuprofen or diphenhydramine (Benadryl) are appetite stimulants.

Some people retain modest amounts of Fluid in association with ibuprofen use.

Neither drug is commonly associated with Constipation, though Benadryl, being an antihistamine, theoretically might contribute to it. (As an antihistamine, it also tends to be appetite suppressant.)

I know you're looking for answers. Trainers are not, in general, a reliable source of information about medications. Or, diet---particularly bariatric diet--unless they have additional certification.

ETA: Suppose she were right, though. How could using Benadryl possibly have sabotaged your weight loss efforts? Water retention is temporary; fat loss occurs even if you retain Fluid.< /p>

Actually the very first side effect of this drug is Constipation.< /p>

Diphenhydramine Side Effects | Drugs.com

I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a nurse and she said she has heard of this before. And one of the side effects are constipation. She also said that the drug does put you to sleep and slows your body down more that if you slept on your own, so therefore slowing you down.

And yes I do know your point about trainers not being doctors and such but I have done some research too before I posted this to see if it had any truth to it. Also, the trainer I work with specializes in working with bariatric patients, she has been working with me since day one of my journey and is well aware of my diet and practices.

This certainly could have sabotaged my efforts if it has been effecting my body negatively where without it I could have lost more efficiently. Just my opinion but if this does retain Water and effect my bowels....yes my weight loss has been hampered. (especially the constipation part, uuugghhh)

Diphenhydramine/Ibuprofen

All medicines can cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Diphenhydramine/Ibuprofen:

Constipation
; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, and nose; excitability; gas; headache; heartburn; nausea;
or upset; thickening of mucus in nose or throat.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Diphenhydramine/Ibuprofen:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; trouble breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or black, tarry stools; change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; depression; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling
; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent stomach pain or nausea; severe vomiting; shortness of breath; stiff neck; sudden or
unexplained weight gain
; swelling of hands, legs, or feet; tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual joint or muscle pain; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision or speech changes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; wheezing; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

Interesting thing is once I read the side effects I have actually been suffering from a few of these.....huh! I have also had a stiff neck lately and some unexplained dizziness. I guess I am a lucky one who had a negative reaction to this one.

At a certain point, however, you would be water/poo filled, and it would go away when you stopped taking the med. So, in theory, you should lose a massive amt of weight quickly. Take a laxative and stay away from salts and you would pee it out. I don't even retain that much when i travel. Maybe 10 lbs. total.

I used the PM OTC for years almost nightly, about a week before my operation I quit taking any meds except my blood pressures meds. I had a few days of headaches but by my operation day the headaches had subsided. I haven’t had any sense then and I’m sleeping great.

My advice is to not take them.

At my preop apt, i asked my surgeon about Goody powders, because I have frequent headaches, and have lived on Advil for years. He just about choked and said NO Goody Powders... EVER, and no Advil, Motrin, or anything with ibuprofen. Tylenol only!! We didn't elaborate, but I just assumed it was because of the risk of stomach irritation or ulcers, since there would be less food in the stomach to absorb the medication. I found the Children's Tylenol to be exceptionally nasty, but so far have been pleased with the Junior Tylenol chewable tablets when i need an analgesic.

Your trainer isn't a pharmacist, that's for sure, but sounds like she has had lots of experience with bariatric patients. Regardless of what anyone says, if you stop the PMs and your weight loss picks up, then hallelujah and more power to you!!!! Reading these forum posts I have noticed that everyone is different and tolerates things differently. So, if you follow your trainer's advice and start losing again, then you'll know you've hit the mother lode of information, and you'll know to never do it again. Be sure to post in a few days and let us know if stopping the PMs makes a difference. And who knows... just thinking or expecting it to make a difference might be the catalyst you need to make the difference! Good luck! Can't wait to hear the results!!! ~CathyB

Thanks guys will definitely keep you posted and see if the weight starts moving down and if my stiff neck goes away!

I have to have sleep pills to sleep. People who do not sleep good do not lose weight as fast as people who get 8 hours of sleep.

I only sleep about 3 hours a night and none during the day. I have taken Simply Sleep since before my surgery and still lose weight. So like you say everyone is different.

Please post and let us know if your weight loss picks up when you stop. I have tried prescription sleep drugs but I walk in to walls during the night and fell out of the shower once during the night, plus it is very expensive.

Cheri

I took Ibuprofen for over a year practically daily. My gastro doc made me stop... and let's just say that things got moving pretty quickly once it was out of my system! Like people have said everyone is different...

MissyMS - you were absolutely right. My tummy woke me up at 4am and went nuts for over 2 straight hours.

All day today I have been feeling yucky, my tummy is a mess and I have a headache. Good news is when I got on the scale this morning I was already down 3.5lbs. All that Water sure did come out!

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow this flu like feeling will pass, my tummy will be better and maybe this headache will go away! So tempted to take some Tylenol but just scared to take anything at this point!

I guess my body just reacted to taken the Advil PM over time.....it does not like me. LOL

Will keep you posted....

TKE I forwarded your post to a bariatric doctor here and she said that your trainer is pretty much dead on! Thanks for posting this!

Update, saw my surgeon today and he confirmed this information was accurate as well. So be careful and midful wehn taking the otc sleep aids and benedryl. It effects everyone differently but this is definitely a side effect people trying to lose weight should be aware of.

Had a fill today and was down another pound.

I have a spastic stomach (no problems with this the last year or so), and my doctor told me not to take anything like Advil, etc. even though that seems to help my headaches more than Tylenol. Luckily, I have not had many headaches since I started drinking more Water.< /p>