Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Menstruation After Surgery

I had my surgery April 7th, and apparently I restarted my period. I had my period a week before I had surgery, it was pretty normal, but now I'm restarting it. I'm confused. Anyone else have this problem?

Yep-- I had mine the week before and it was gone by surgery day -- and i restarted DURING surgery -- *embarrassed* Nurse was great though and said it was totally normal for things like that to happen with surgery and anesthesia

I had just the opposite happen. I missed mine for the next two months. The same explanation was given that surgery or trauma to the body really messes up your cycle.

My period started shortly after I awoke from the surgery, in the recovery area. It was 7 days early. The nurse told me it was due to the trauma of the operation as well. It's interesting how the body deals with trauma.

My period was due about 2 weeks after my surgery and it came about a month after that, it took a few months to get back on track.

I didnt have that problem, I had mine the week before surgery and I was on the nuva ring and it was the week it was out. the dr said to not out it in for three weeks because of blood clot risk.

I then I got my period and it was the total opposite as it was before, super heavy. But I waited till the sunday after I started my period and put my ring back and now I am back to normal.

I'm on the Nuvaring also, but I kept mine in this whole time. My doctor knows every medicine I take. I don't know. So many doctors are different.

I'm on the Nuvaring also, but I kept mine in this whole time. My doctor knows every medicine I take. I don't know. So many doctors are different.

Yeah my doctor made me stop all medications except my anxiety meds. The hospital even said they would make me take out my nuva ring. I dont know I guess everyone is just different. My period when I have the nuva ring is like 3 days and so lite. But when I was off the nuva ring after surgery the period I got before I put it back in was the WORST I have ever had. 5 days of hemorraging (sp?) pretty much cramps and everything and I have been menstrating since I was 8 and it was always the same till that one week after surgery.:thumbup:

I Just had my 6 month post op with my doctor today. Everything is going good. Down 70 pounds since surgery and add another 15 for the pre diet! She asked me if anything was going on and I told her that my periods seem to arrive about 3 weeks even though I was very regular pre surgery. SHe gave me the same answer regarding estrogen being stored in fat and hormones being out of wack, I agree that it is a small price to pay!! This surgery has been one of the best things I ever did. Just sorry I waited so long!

I spoke with my surgeon and my PCP, they both told me that the LONG heavy period is an effect of the blood thinners they give us during and after surgery. Also the untimeliness of it arriving is from a combo of anesthesia and trauma. Mine lasted 12 days. It was heavy and I thought my insides were falling out. Being told you can't have advil was a deal breaker for me after a certain point. I went and saw my surgeon and he told me I COULD take IBprofen but in I would have to take it in liquid form or in very coated an make sure I drink a lot with the pill form so it would not stay in stoma where it can cause issues. He said taking IBprofen is ok for once in a while like for cramps.

I also found that taking Evening Primrose Oil helped regulate my hormones after the surgery. Especially since I had gone off Birth Control 3 months prior so this was my 1st REAL period in a LONG time.

I've been without period for 7 years! Then WHAM! Six weeks after surgery...it's baa-aack! Not only that, but it's soo heavy and soo freaking painful! The amount of tissue is unbelievable.

I got mine two days after my surgery and it was very heavy. The cramps were out of this world. Between the pain from the surgery and the cramps, I was doubled over for a few days.

I started bleeding when I was in ketosis on my pre-op diet. I ate some carbs and it stopped. Then I got back in ketosis and bam, bleeding. It was an interesting way for me to monitor that!

My period came a week late afer surgery, pretty light I guess because I had bled for 3 weeks before.

i have been haing mine about every 2.5 weeks, I am very anemic now because of the blood loss, so my ob/gyn is going to do an ablation: she said that it is the weight loss that is making my periods heavier, but I can't stand it anymore! I have had this problem before: after my 2nd daughter, so the ablation is the best answer for me.