Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is an NSV only someone who has a couple hundred lbs to lose could appreciate:

I was in my office meeting with a new client today. The client was also a large-sized female. She went to sit in a chair in my office that had arms on it, and she could not fit into it. I could completely empathaze with her, because that has happened to me on many occasions. So, I quickly got her another chair with no arms so she could be more comfortable.

After she left, I sat down in the chair with arms, and I fit in it very comfortably. For me, this is a big deal, because for the longest time I had to think before I sat in a strange chair, trying to figure out if I would fit. Now, I know that I can. Hopefully there are similar revelations to come as I lose more weight. I am so glad I got the band!! :frown:

Congratulations!. It does feel good to have moments like these.

That's awesome! I think about that all the time when clients come into my office... there is this one horrible chair with skinny arms in the lobby and I can't wait to fit in it without exploding over the edges.

I used to be concerned about plastic lawn chairs the most..When you go to BBQ's or things where they are the extra seating...I would rather stand because i am never sure whether they are big enough or if they are sturdy enough...But i am on my way to kickin those thoughts out of my life...

I used to worry about those damn arm chairs all the time. There is nothing more embarrassing to look around the waiting room and realize you can't sit in any of the empty chairs. Now that I'm thinner, I always take the arm chair and leave the bigger ones open. I don't want anyone to have to feel like that.

Cindy

Wow, Cindy! Look at your weight loss ticker! You are such an inspiration. Are you going to throw a party when you reach your goal?

You know, I'm not sure what'll I'll do. I've spent most of my life worrying about my weight. I'll have to get a new hobby...

Cindy

One day at work, one of the plugs on the switchboard came out of the socket. I don't know how it happened, but, without thinking, I crawled under my desk and plugged it back in.

It wasn't until I was sitting back in my chair--with arms--that I realized what I'd done. I used to have to think about that before I could do anything, and boy! was it uncomfortable!

That same week I rode in back of a cab with two other people, and I FIT! Comfortably!! And no one else was crushed!

Let's hear it for nonscale victories!

Debbie

Howdy! I had NSVs this weekend...

1) I RODE A BIKE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 25+ YEARS! :laugh:

We have a very pretty arboretum/park less than 10 minutes from our house that has a 4 mile bike path. I had to walk my bike up the really big hills, but I was able to ride most of the way. I've decided that I will either ride the path 2x or walk the path 1x at least three days/week.

2) I WORE A SIZE 20 FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 15+ YEARS! :smile:

The temperature got up to 75 degrees today. I wore a size 20 pair of ankle pants, a lightweight sweater, and sandals. It felt so great to not be bundled up like "Nanook of the North." My hubby commented that I should go do some shopping for spring clothing because my clothes looked too baggy. I understood what he was saying about the sweater because it fit me 65lbs ago. I think I was more excited about the pants being baggy. I might go out next week and try on some size 18s!

Serenity & Sweetbean: Congrats on your NSV'S!:o

Keep up the good work! Looks like we are on our way...:tt1:

I'm so proud of you all!! I've had those same moments, including now being sure to leave the bigger chairs for other people who may need them in a waiting room. But my biggest thing is that even though I'm more than 4 years out and nearly 3 years from having reached goal and I fly several times a month, I almost cry every time I sit in a coach seat and the seatbelt clips and I pull the strap to tighten it to my size. Or, if there's a larger person next to me, I lift the arm rest without saying a word, in case they're more comfortable with a little extra room.

I love my band.

I used to be concerned about plastic lawn chairs the most..When you go to BBQ's or things where they are the extra seating...I would rather stand because i am never sure whether they are big enough or if they are sturdy enough...But i am on my way to kickin those thoughts out of my life...

I sat in a plastic chair at the patio of a popular mexican restaurant. When I stood up I broke the arms off. I ran away to the car as fast as I could. I cannot wait to be able to sit without worry.

I look forward to the day when I can fit in a roller coaster seat again and be able to twist, turn, and flip my way through a theme park screaming til my heart is content!

You are going to love going to theme parks again. I was waiting for this one. When I dropped 100 lbs, I asked my son to take me to theme park he where he works. We rode everything that I've been avoiding for years. It was terrific. I fit on everything and I could keep up with my 16 year old son.

Cindy

I have had all of those chair experiences, and they are awful. I even also sat down on a toilet one time and had it fall off the wall in the hospital. Talk about embarassing....I wanted to die.

I am down 100 pounds, but I still weigh 304. I am flying on Wednesday, and I already plan to ask for a seat belt extension. Most of the time the flight attendants have been very understanding, and I have only had one bad experience. She stood up and announced to the world that she would bring me one in a minute. The others just discreetly nodded and dropped it in my lap on the way by. If people have never been too large to fit into things, it is very hard for them to empathize. I understand completely because I have been through it.

I went to a dinner at a restaurant about two years ago. The chairs were super small with arms, and I couldn't begin to fit into it. I sat with just about two inches of my behind in the seat and the rest sitting forward, trying to balance on my legs. The dinner lasted about two and a half hours and I thought I was going to die. It is a shame that large people do not feel they have the same rights as other people much of the time. It never occurred to me to just stand up and ask the waiter for a different chair, because that would call attention to my fatness. I never want anyone to notice, but it is really hard not to. If I were disabled or had any other problem, I think I would be freer to ask for help. I am so glad I had the lap band, and hope that I can continue to lose weight until I am a more normal size. My goal is 150, but I would shout hallelujah if I could get to 200 or anywhere nearby.

Thanks for listening....

I am down 100 pounds, but I still weigh 304. I am flying on Wednesday, and I already plan to ask for a seat belt extension. Most of the time the flight attendants have been very understanding, and I have only had one bad experience. She stood up and announced to the world that she would bring me one in a minute. The others just discreetly nodded and dropped it in my lap on the way by. If people have never been too large to fit into things, it is very hard for them to empathize. I understand completely because I have been through it.

Rebecca,

Good luck with your flight on Wednesday and I wish you compassionate flight attendants. Usually, I had good luck, too, but on one very crowded flight, I couldn't get anyone's attention. I actually flew the whole flight completely unbuckled. Luckily nothing happened. I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I was wedged so tight into that seat that I wasn't moving in any kind of turbulence!

Cindy