Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused about gas pains

I keep hearing about gas pains after the surgery. Then people say to take Gas X for the gas. I thought the gas was CO2 that they inflate you abdomen with, but how would Gas X you take by mouth help that? Maybe you have both after the surgery?

Can someone set me straight?

:(:confused::(:confused::):confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I am 5 days post-op and the biggest problem for me is gas. It is something aweful. It is coming out both end and quite frequently. I went through a box of gas-x and than switched to mylanta gas chewables as they have a stronger amount of the medication. I think that the gas comes from 2 different sources. The pain in my upper shoulder is from the co2. The other gas pains in my gut and digestive tract are from the pre-post op diet of liquids only. I think my system is just not used to what i am giving it. I hope this helps. Everyone is different and you may only have little/no gas after surgery. Good luck.

Not sure how it works but it does. Get the strip that melt on your tongue,

I agree about the strips...get the cinnamon ones if you can...the dose is 2-4 strips.

Your absolutely best bet for taming the windy dragon is walking. A heating pad may help as well. Even so, expect that it's going to last awhile. I am 5 days postop...the first night home was absolutely wicked- I think I was upright long enough for the CO2 to rise up under my diaphragm- but it's been getting gradually better since then.

Best wishes, Christine

I keep hearing about gas pains after the surgery. Then people say to take Gas X for the gas. I thought the gas was CO2 that they inflate you abdomen with, but how would Gas X you take by mouth help that? Maybe you have both after the surgery?

Can someone set me straight?

:(:confused::(:confused::):confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Froggie, I asked the exact same question and got the exact same responses. Now that I am in this position, I can tell you, "just do it. It works."

My Dr told me that as the gas isn't in your stomach those kinds of preparations won't work. A good Dr should remove most of the gas before they stitch you up. The prescription pain meds that they give you will sort the gas pain out.

I know some people swear they work so maybe there is a placebo effect!

I didn't really have gas pains after surgery and the little bit of pain i did have was easily sorted out with the prescription meds.

The free gas in your abdomen ultimately diffuses into your intestine for "removal." Gas-X doesn't help the pain when the gas is trapped in your abdomen, but as you move around, and it moves into your gut, it does help.

I was told that or stomach's create a lot of gas post surgery and THAT is what the gas-x and maalox are good for. Walking will help the abdoman gas to dissapate. All that I can say is that both worked for me.