Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scary pics- stretched esophagus

Okay so I have complained 3 times in the last 15 months about my lap band not feeling right. Each time I called to ask for a barium swallow test I'd be told my symptoms wouuldn't require that test and I just needed to be unfilled/filled etc. that would ease my mind a BIT but then the uneasieness about my band would come back because my eating problems would remain. FINALLY my doc ordered a barium swallow for me and I did it today. The xray tech gave me the pictures but the doc won't review them until tomorrow. Though, I'm starting to wonder if he'll look at them at all because frankly I don't think he wants to ruin his "stats." I looked at my xrays and freaked. My esophagus is just NOT normal. The lower portion is 3 times the size of the upper portion. I am no medical person granted and could be reading it all wrong, but to me it looks BAD. I am desperate to hear what can be done. I prefer not to have it removed because of cost but I would do it if necessary. What should I do now? Will I heal? I have already put myself on an all liquid diet because frankly, the pictures just terrify me. Will they remove it and will I heal if they do? Any experience/advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I recently had the same test and was able to review on a TV screen my results with the doctor. I asked her why my esophagus looked so big in one area. She said that was normal. That is the way it looks as the chalky white stuff travels down. Scared me too until I heard the explanation. :)

I was just diagnosed last week with a dilated esophagus. I did the fluoroscope (sorry for spelling) and saw how large it was. i am on 3 medications (steroid, ibuprofin and an ant-acid) to reduce the swelling. I also had my band unfilled. I was not able to eat solid food real well since my last fill. (I was 4cc out of 10) I could tolerate only soft or liquid.

I have an appointment next week to see if the esophagus is responding to treatment. I have been able to eat regular food and have lost 7 lbs in 7 days!!! I am probably one of the few who do not need a fill...or a very small fill. I was banded 11-04 and total weight loss is 40lbs.

A tight band is NOT good!!! If you overeat, the food has nowhere to go except back up into your esophagus...which in turn stretches it out. Listen to your body and if it hurts when you swallow or you are throwing up and cannot tolerate solid food...see your doctor!

It's definetly a risk that is not talked about much. If you still have alot of weight to lose, I would consider revision to a gastric sleeve. You should also consider a different doctor, if he/she is not going to listen to you. They should have tested you sooner!

Ok. so today I decided I was done panicking. I drove 2 hours down to the surgeons office and brought my esophagram pics with me. I had to wait a few minutes but surprisingly my original surgeon came out to see me! He went over the esophagram with me and explained every picture. He then showed me examples of slips, erosions, and stretched esophagus. Relieved but a bit embarrassingly I admitted that no, my picture looks nothing likes. Those. He also explained that the part of the esophagus that the liquid is in opens up more and the the top squeezing behind it to keep the food moving, which is why it appeared so much bigger in some areas than others. He said the obvious thing he could see is that I was way too tight. He recommended a good amount of unfill and the nurse took me right in. I am sooooo relieved and yes, lucky.

This evening I ate a small amount of dinner and was able to tell when to stop without needing to throw up suddenly. I hope I continue to remember how to use and not abuse the band since I now have 100 lbs still to lose. I don't want my journey to be over. But for now, I am not another negative statistic. For now. :smile2:

I'm glad that you have a second chance! You shouldn't be embarrased. It's the doctor's job to get back with you and to explain things to you. You deserved to be treated with respect and to have an adequate explanation. Good luck!