Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

symptoms of pouch dilation?

What are the symptoms of a dilated pouch? No restriction or something? Just curious.

sara

I had my band about 18 months, and had been getting regular fills. I had been eating more volume-wise and eating too fast. I thought I needed another fill. I got a fill and the next few days I couldn't eat anything solid and keep it down....went back and had a barium swallow and found I had a dilation (no slippage). I didn't have any other symptoms other than not being able to eat solids. Some say heartburn is a symptom, but I didn't have that....what are you experiencing? I think it is pretty easy to get a dilation after having the band awhile - beware eating too much too fast!

What does the doctor do if you have pouch dilation? Do you have to have your band removed?

I don't know about the prior poster. I went in today and was told I have dilation. They said your pouch should be the size of an egg, but mine is the size of a small tangerine. They unfilled me completely. They said I didn't need to do a liquid diet or anything, just be careful about how much I was eating.

I got mine from vomiting due to gall bladder issues.

I don't know about the prior poster. I went in today and was told I have dilation. They said your pouch should be the size of an egg, but mine is the size of a small tangerine. They unfilled me completely. They said I didn't need to do a liquid diet or anything, just be careful about how much I was eating.

I got mine from vomiting due to gall bladder issues.

I have some tenderness at my port site and it seems swollen to me. Was just wondering what symptoms you had. I did find out last week that I have many gall stones, some nausea with it but no vomiting.

I didn't have any tenderness. REally I just had a lot of heartburn, then vomiting and things kept getting stuck or taking a long time to go down. Seems like some symptoms I thought was gall bladder was partly my band too. They just did a fluro and saw I was dilated.

my 2 year anniversary is april 22nd so i went in for a last flouro exam and small fill on 03/06/10. i've felt fine the past 3 months but the week leading up to my appointment i did feel more hungry but not overally so.

as soon as i drank the barium... i hadn't even swallowed all of it yet... and the nurse said my pouch was dilated and pretty bad. i also was having reflux which i was not feeling.

she took .5cc out which now leaves me with 4.2cc in a 10cc band and i was put on liquids for 3 days. she said the pouch should go back to normal and to come back in a month.

what happens if it DOESN'T go back to normal? i've had nothing but problems with the band since day one with reflux and dilation over the past 2 years and i'm SO frustrated!

i've lost over 40 pounds... half of what i wanted to lose... and i'm okay with how i look and feel but i don't know what to do!!

I had a pouch dilation and let it go much too long without getting a barium swallow. My symptoms were horrible heartburn, throwing everything up and night time reflux. My pouch was so dilated that even with all the fill out, there was no resolution of my symptoms. This went on for, like, months. Stupid. I had to have revision surgery and i have gained 20 lbs. very depressing.

At my 4 year check up I had gained about 29 lbs - asked for a fill - dumb me - doctor gave me the fill (but I should have evaluated my eating habits first) I assumed because I was hungry and not losing (gaining) weight that a fill was what I needed. Within a couple of weeks the reflux started. So I started taking Prevacid. Lost about 15lbs and then stand still.

My doc had scheduled a 6 month check up and I told him about the reflux...in for an Upper GI (Gross) and diagnosis...the radiologist says Prolapse...the doctor says pouch dilation?? Going back to the doctor tomorrow to discuss treatment....is an unfill typical? Scared to death that I've destroyed my band and to boot I'm starving but so afraid to eat.

:biggrin:

Edited by Lynn B

I was banded for a year and lost 50 pounds then bam I found out i was pregnant so had some Fluid removed. 3 months after I had my baby I decided to pick back up and get filled Again. suddenly Im having so much trouble getting that full feeling I once had. It took so much more fluid to fill me and i've still had hunger issues and 2 times Ive been dialited....will this always be an issue for me now and why the change after a pregnancy????

I haven't posted in 2 years about this topic, but I still have dilation issues. As anyone who's been pregnant knows, pregnancy changes everything, even your shoe size. You probably ate more when pregnant, and got used to that .Look at your portion size. I have 7 cc in a 10 cc band and I can see by the barium that I have restriction and a small dilation. I don't feel the restriction at all like I did at first, but when I think about the amounts I eat now compared to before the band, I have really cut down. I haven't lost any more weight, though. AndI still have dilation. Other than that, I have no complications and don't even realize I have the band. I miss things getting "stuck" and I miss losing weight...but I would probably be much heavier without it!