Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

(Chicago) New insurance does not cover Fills, please help.

Excellent suggestion Kiz!! You might also check to see if there is a Fill Center in your area. I know of several here on the board who use them for fills. I do not know the price line.

It is true that each company picks and chooses benefits from the insurance provider, so while 2 of you may have the same provider, with different employers the coverage will vary.

I too have had insurance changes and stressed during them....about whether they would cover anything band related. I was self pay, but our insurance at the time DID cover band, it was just an ordeal. I was 10.5 months into a 12 month program, when I was hit by another car, and injured. Due to surgery following the accident, it interupted my 12 months, so I was going to have to start over! I was so upset! In the end, I received a settlement from the accident, and I self paid. I self pay my fills as well....and they run me about $150.00 each----and I have to travel 6 hours to get there, and 6 hours back.

Each of us has our own issues, especially with the economy today. I can sympathize, with you thinking it was a covered benefit, and finding out differently. If you had went into it knowing it was not, it could have factored into your decision making---now it has thrown you for a loop. But I also feel since you have made it this far, you will find a way, or find a less expensive way (hopefully with your old Dr.---really good idea!) to get it done.

This is not a contest, of who has it harder, or who paid more or who paid less. We all had something in common, in our need to lose weight, to regain health.

To self pay, and support those you do on your own is a tremendous accomplishment Candeta, and you should be proud of yourself.

Miss Me, I saw nothing wrong with your posts, did not take it as yelling. It is very hard with a typed post to make ones point always come across as it is meant in the first place. Good Luck to you, and keep working at it, you will find a way. Sometimes we have to be very creative!!!

Let's try to keep on the subject matter.

We all have different situational means and I think it is important to remain tactful when posting opinions on this matter.

Thank you all for your consideration of all the many people who post on this site.

I have the answer you are looking for!

Synchrony Health Chicago, located in Oak Brook. I was self-pay for my lap-band and this is where I go for my fills. They charge a one time fee of $250 to take you on and each fill is $95. So, the first time you go you have to shell out a hefty $350, but it's an affordable $95 from there on out. I hope this helps, they are cheapest I've found in the Chicagoland area.

To all of you who wrote rude comments about her financial situation... shame on you.

Hi MissMe,

I got banded at DayOne in Chicago, and I know they have some kind of rate offer for those not covered by insurance. My insurance only covers a small portion of fills at this point, so it costs me about $150 each time. It would be worth calling them.

I mostly just wanted to comment and say that, this forum is for support and help--there is NOTHING wrong with doing research to find the best possible options for you. That is why we are on here, for support, information, answers, and COMMUNITY. Not browbeatings.

I'm really peeved by the rude and aggressive posts from Candeta. Unnecessary, in no way helpful, and offensive. I just cannot understand what would compel someone to respond to a perfectly reasonable question in that way.

MissMe--I'm always looking for "band pals" in the city, so please feel free to send me a private message if you ever want to chat or meet for coffee or something!

Val

ValJean & Abbypoo

Thank you BOTH so much for your recommendations. I have an appointment for Monday with Synchrony Health Chicago... I hope it works out. I've heard A LOT of good things about them so here's hoping I agree. :cursing:

And thanks for the support... I too didn't understand where the aggressive comment came from but that's OK I know from past experience in this forum that pretty much everyone here is super nice and helpful. I still come back and love everyone here.

How's the LapBand working out for you guys? I'm about 5 lbs shy from hitting 60lbs... I was banded in June/2009 so I'm SUPER excited.

ValJean & Abbypoo

Thank you BOTH so much for your recommendations. I have an appointment for Monday with Synchrony Health Chicago... I hope it works out. I've heard A LOT of good things about them so here's hoping I agree. :biggrin:

And thanks for the support... I too didn't understand where the aggressive comment came from but that's OK I know from past experience in this forum that pretty much everyone here is super nice and helpful. I still come back and love everyone here.

How's the LAP-BAND® working out for you guys? I'm about 5 lbs shy from hitting 60lbs... I was banded in June/2009 so I'm SUPER excited.

Hey!! I just had my first appt this past monday and I am so glad I did. Dr. Watkins is very nice as well as the ladies there. I wasn't getting fills at my previous dr and was not very successful so I decided to find somewhere else and Im happy I chose them. Hope to see you at the support groups one day!! :thumbup:

Foxxy:

I will def., look into the support group... you know I always wanted to be part of one but I don't think my old doctor's office had them or atleast they never told me about them.

How cool.

hello Missme,

How long have you been banded? What doctor or facility were you banded at? I got my band in Oct 09 and it going very slow and I'm doing everything I believe I'm suppose too. I'm just looking for some local support would love to chat with you.

take care,

valjean & Foxxy

I noticed that you were in or surrounding chicago area I am always looking for support or just to talk with someone that has gone through the same thing as myself and maybe get some tips on this journey. I look forward talking with you.

I think maybe the poster with the negative comments thought you were asking for literal help as in "please send me money", as opposed to figurative help as in "give me some ideas". Please don't let these negative comments get you down. I think they have more to do with the poster than with you.

By the way, I was self pay and I used Care Credit. Maybe you could set up with them and then pay for the fills in installments.

I, too, have been screwed over by my husband's employer....we got our new ins cards (United Healthcare Choice Plus, as well) and the first thing I did was look up the coverage. I had a bad feeling, esp since I know my hubby blabbed all about my surgery to his co-workers, and he works for a small company. Sure enough - the first exclusion - ANY treatment for obesity, surgical or non-surgical. I had surgery on 12/24 - and barely made it - I was rescheduled two times! (Yeah, thanks for all your prayers for my speedy recovery - you could have at least given us the courtesy to let us know that coverage for service that you KNEW we used was going to change! Sorry, I'm not the least bit bitter, am I? :angry:)

My surgeon has a deal where if you pay that day, its 50% off - so $140 for a fill. I can deal with that every 6 to 8 weeks. I'm a little concerned now, however, since my first fill attempt was unsuccessful. If I have to do a fill under x-ray, I will have to pay the hospital $500+. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm in Bolingbrook and I really love my surgeon - let me know if you want contact info. I'm going to my first group meeting Tues night. They are once a month, and free.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Hi all and sorry for replying to an old topic. This is pretty much spot-on to what I'm looking for though so decided probably better than a new thread. I'm in Chicago too and also now not covered by insurance as well as in a very different and lesser place financially than I was in 2010 when originally banded. I've not had a fill since 2011 and thought I was doing OK, but I've started putting on weight and it's making me very nervous realizing that the band has very little impact any longer on what I ingest. I need a fill and hopefully a somewhat reasonably priced one. I see from reading through this topic that DayOne and Synchrony Health are recommended. Any other recommendations from Chicago area folks?

Thank you and wishing you all a happy and healthy Memorial day weekend.

Katy

Edited by Katy517