Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes that won't give stomach aches?

I told my doc about this, and he seemed perplexed and couldn't offer any advice. I get stomach aches from a number of the Protein Shakes out there, and I don't know why. Sometimes I even get diarrhea. Naturally, it makes me not want to ever drink Protein shakes. Has anyone had this problem and found one that's gentle on your stomach? The only one I have found so far is Slim Fast Low Carb, but that's expensive and my doc doesn't like it anyway.

You may be lactose-intolerant and not realize it. Most protien powders/shakes are made from whey (a byproduct of cheese production--remember Little Miss Muffet eating her curds and whey? ).

I absolutely cannot tolerate any protien powder with whey in it--during my pre-op diet I was throwing up the EAS shakes my nutritionist prescribed. I also had bouts of diarrhea, so I went to the health-food store and looked at all the protien powders and checked their ingredients.

I found a vegan (people who won't eat any animal products) rice protien made by NutriBiotic. One Tbsp. has 57 calories, 0.4 grams of fat, 8 mg of sodium, 2.4 grams of carbohydrates (you have to really be careful--a lot of the yummy-looking protien powders have 20+ grams of carbs--that's why they're yummy!), and 12 grams of protien (I know it's not as high as most other protiens but mix it with lactose-free milk or fat-free yogurt and it's not too far off). It comes in chocolate and vanilla.

Or it might not be anything more than generalised difficulty in digesting them.

"Protein farts" are a well recognised phenomenon. I cant handle Protein shakes and bars, they really do bloat me up, give me intestinal pain and make me miserable (and very smelly to be around). Google it, you'll see its not at all uncommon.

It might also be the fact that they're all awfully sweet, and chock full of artificial sweeteners usually. And ingesting a lot of artificial sweetener is notorious for causing diarrhoea.

For myself, I just dont eat/drink them. Its entirely posible to lose weight, be healthy and keep your muscle without ingesting Protein Shakes.< /p>

Some of the shakes have sugar alcohols--which can be really hard on the gut.

I really love Bariatric Eating's Inspire line of Protein. The flavors are awesome, and the PURE unflavored Protein isolate is quite possibly my favorite (it can be added to anything). You can order at BariatricEating.com - BE, Inc. The number one bariatric website for protein, Vitamins, and success..

I agree - either lactose, sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners. Do you eat any other "sugar free" foods? Do you have bad reactions with them? I do not do well with any of those, so avoid them all (incld Splenda). I am using a Protein Powder called About Time. You have to order it online and it isn't cheap. It is naturally sweetened and is 100% whey Protein isolate. I haven't had any problems with it all. Good luck!