Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

does medicare cover lap-band?

Views
Started by mola, Sep 01, 2008 6:36 PM
17 replies to this topic
17 replies to this topic

mola

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted September 1, 2008 - 6:36 PM

hello there, i'm new here. I'm want to have lap band procedure asap... I've got medicare and centrelink benefits card. does anyone know if the lap procedure would be covered by that? how much would i have to pay for it? what doctor in sydney would u recommend?

RestlessMonkey

So NOT a Cupcake

• Surgery Date: Aug 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 405 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 64 lbs
  • Current Weight: 341 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 170 lbs
  • BMI: 56.7
Posted September 1, 2008 - 7:05 PM

Sydney Australia? If so, I'm in S. Central Texas and can't help you.

cuddles_01au

Posted September 1, 2008 - 7:08 PM

hello there, i'm new here. I'm want to have lap band procedure asap... I've got medicare and centrelink benefits card. does anyone know if the lap procedure would be covered by that? how much would i have to pay for it? what doctor in sydney would u recommend?

Hello and welcome

you need to have private health insurance
medicare covers less than 1,000 cant remember the exact amount but its not very much:rolleyes2:

the public waiting list in sydney is many years long

im also on a pension but i joined a health fund and waited the 12 mths and was banded almost 12 mths ago:lol:

Leeanne

cuddles_01au

Posted September 1, 2008 - 7:09 PM

Mola there is an aussie lapband board on yahoo where you can gets lots of info on all the different sugeons etc

there is too an aussie section in here as well

Leeanne

Shastalou

Novice

Posted September 1, 2008 - 8:15 PM

I was banded on July 16th and medicare paid for mine. I am on disability due to a eye disease. I am in Indiana the only thing was the surgery had to be done in a center of exalance. Which is a center that does over 100 sugerys a year. I had to pay a small amount out of pocket.
Good luck and hope you find the answers you need
Shaz :thumbup:

RestlessMonkey

So NOT a Cupcake

• Surgery Date: Aug 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 405 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 64 lbs
  • Current Weight: 341 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 170 lbs
  • BMI: 56.7
Posted September 1, 2008 - 8:18 PM

Shastalou...Medicare in the USA and Medicare in Australia is different. I'm glad you got the surgery you need!

cuddles_01au

Posted September 1, 2008 - 8:25 PM

yes hun australia's health system if very different

there are some states the waiting list for a public patient isnt so long a wait

but usually we need to take out private health insurance and there is a 12 mths wait for any pre existing conditions but after the one year its fine

good to hear you have had your done

Leeanne

mola

Posted September 2, 2008 - 10:43 PM

oh... i would like to have the procedure TODAY! waiting another year sounds painfull... so is there any other way to do it quicker? how much would that cost? what insurance company is best to do this procedure?
oh, by the way, im in sydney, australia. thanks guys for your help. i'm desperate.

cuddles_01au

Posted September 2, 2008 - 10:59 PM

you need to phone around the sydney surgeons for some quotes as they do vary quite a lot

the yahoo aus lapband message board has a lot of information so might be a good place to have a look through the threads:smile:

i imagine the cost will be around the $12,000 up depending on the surgeon etc when i enquired a couple of years ago both the places i asked wanted $16,000 that includes the private hospital costs:scared2:

you can apply to apra and use you superanuation too so thats another option if you have some:regular_smile:

without health cover it is an expensive option:crying:

I chose to wait the year for the health cover and it really goes very quickly and gives you time to gather a lot of info etc:thumbup:

Leeanne:shades_smile:

mola

Posted September 2, 2008 - 11:44 PM

i'm confused. just called mbf and there are so many policies, it's hard to chose. so how does it work? u find the doctor,who has to agree with the insurance company on payment? i'm confuuuused! where do i start?? does anyone know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Topics with No Reply