Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Tell Me About the Psychological Testing

Views
Started by daisey1984, Mar 07, 2007 3:35 PM
30 replies to this topic
30 replies to this topic

daisey1984

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted March 7, 2007 - 3:35 PM

I am new here and am considering the lapband. I have an appointment to see the doctor on the 26th, but have pretty much decided that this is what I want to do. My insurance will cover the procedure, but I need to have psychological testing to determine if I will be compliant.....it seems to be a requirement for all prior to surgery. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Is this a "hard test" to pass?

lisah25

• My Blogs
Posted March 7, 2007 - 3:46 PM

Mine wasn't. I remember filling out a bunch of those Personality tests, multiple choice mostly, then spending an hour talking with the pyschologist. Mainly, she wanted to be sure I had realistic expectations for the surgery, and to find out what kind of support I'd have from family and friends. Went very well, and I actually enjoyed it.

Davyna

Posted March 7, 2007 - 3:49 PM

For some reason my doctor didn't recommend psychological testing for me (I'm really not sure why. But I'm a licensed social worker so maybe he thought I was "normal," shrug.) From what I've heard, the psychological testing often consists of the MMPI test. This test has been around for ages and you can learn more about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMPI.

The general purpose of the testing is to determine if you are psychologically prepared to accept the challenge that lapbanding provides. Being banded forces you to change the way you eat, the way you look at food, and maybe the way you cope with things, if you use food as a coping mechanism.

Without asking too many personal questions, I expect you will pass the test just fine if you feel you have been well adapted to life and can accept change, and are not currently depressed.

Research the test a little and you can find out what to expect.

Good luck!

Posted March 7, 2007 - 3:49 PM

Mine was more tedious than hard. I had to do a couple of personality tests, which added up to almost 600 questions. Then I spoke with the psychologist for about 10 minutes. Nothing major.

lizflores@cppro

Posted March 7, 2007 - 3:56 PM

Hello,

My name is Liz and I just got my first adjustment and I have a questions about gas. Does anyone get lots of belching and what do you do about it.:girl_hug:

Elisabethsew

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery: Duodenal Switch
  • Weight Lost: 200 lbs
  • BMI: 47.2
  • My Blogs
Posted March 7, 2007 - 3:58 PM

All I had to do was fill out a diet history and that's what we discussed for about 30 minutes. Just about EVERYONE passes and it's a requirement by most surgeons as this surgery is elective. Hmmmm... I suppose if plastic surgery were covered by insurance, they might want one too. LOL.

Elisabethsew

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery: Duodenal Switch
  • Weight Lost: 200 lbs
  • BMI: 47.2
  • My Blogs
Posted March 7, 2007 - 4:02 PM

Hello,

My name is Liz and I just got my first adjustment and I have a questions about gas. Does anyone get lots of belching and what do you do about it.:girl_hug:

You might find more responses to this post if you select a different place to display it. Belching is very common after a fill and it subsides once the swelling from the fill goes down... a few days. Try to eat smaller meals... even if it's 5 small meals a day. Some people use Beano to help with the belching and gas. It's wise to stick to fluids and a soft diet for the first 1-3 days post-fill.

daisey1984

Posted March 7, 2007 - 4:25 PM

Thanks to all for your replies. It seems everyone has had a different experience. I hope mine will be an easy one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Jul 25
    Teachamy

Had fabulous if inappropriate dreams about an affair with chocolate last nigh...

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      Jul 25
    Moxy

150 lbs gone!!! feeling so good!

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Trending Topics